Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The universality of mankind

From another thread:

The camera briefly focuses on the Iran fans: they look exactly like us! They ARE exactly like us. Happy smiling people, men, women, kids, waving their flag, cheering on their guy, just like Americans do, or British, or Chinese, etc.
    When matapule was in graduate school years ago, he met with his colleague students for the first time and almost immediately three of us bonded. One guy, Jorge, was a student from Argentina. Sohrab, was from Iran. And then there was matapule, a local Anglo guy. We were inseparable during our studies. We each brought individual strengths to our studies based on our experience and background. For example, matapule was short on experience in accounting and Sohrab was a whiz kid in accounting. He spent many hours tutoring me in this discipline and matapule would reciprocate with the other two, helping them when they were in need.

We three had many late night conversations about world politics, government, cultures,......everything. We rarely agreed but we all had the same goals. This was the period when the Shah was still in power in Iran. Sohrab hated the Shah but he also talked about the dangerous religious clerics called ayatollahs. I had no idea what he was talking about then but he turned out to be prophetic. Sohrab introduced me to his Iranian friends, customs, and food. It was all good. Matapule was an eager student. Jorge did the same for us. I still have a picture of us three on graduation day in our gowns and mortar boards with arms around each other and big smiles. We called ourselves the Three Musketeers.

We have tried to stay in touch over the years. Jorge's three daughters made their first visit to the States when we hosted the girls one summer and helped them with their English. Each of us became a success in our own way - integrity, honesty, and openness. Three liberals in the classic sense of the word.

Yes, I know from first hand experience that Iranians and Argentinians ARE exactly like us and we are like them. We have way more in common than anyone might guess, especially by those who have no first hand experience. The same applies to all people of the world. I can speak for Tongans and Mexicans too. I am always open to new experiences with other cultures. Matapule finds the experience stimulating and invigorating. An open mind is an open opportunity.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: The universality of mankind

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Yes, I know from first hand experience that Iranians and Argentinians ARE exactly like us and we are like them. We have way more in common than anyone might guess, especially by those who have no first hand experience. The same applies to all people of the world. I can speak for Tongans and Mexicans too. I am always open to new experiences with other cultures. Matapule finds the experience stimulating and invigorating. An open mind is an open opportunity.
    Mata:
    You are most right on.
    We are all of the same species (Homo sapiens sapiens), and despite your regional differences (caused by climate end environment), and our cultural differences (caused by time and a need to adapt to our surroundings and mold our beliefs thereto), we would all be the same.

Our skin color is an adaptation to sun exposure, our diet to our nutritional needs and what is available.

Darwinian evolution says that those of of us most likely to survive in our environment will flourish.

Of course, now that we can manipulate our environments, we are free to go anywhere. Eskimos can live in Hawai`i, and vice versa - PROVING Matapule's "Universality of mankind."

Well done, Mata
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This thread has filled me with hope.
      I'm not kidding!
      Last edited by lensperson; August 6, 2012, 11:18 PM. Reason: computer complexities

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post

Darwinian evolution says that those of of us most likely to survive in our environment will flourish.
        Well done, Mata
        That's not true. Darwinian evolution makes no such predictions. Even the 'most likely to survive' species may become extinct and Darwinian evolution makes no prediction whatsoever about individuals.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          That's not true. Darwinian evolution makes no such predictions. Even the 'most likely to survive' species may become extinct and Darwinian evolution makes no prediction whatsoever about individuals.
          Of course. I should have phrased it differently.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Nostradamus predictions for 2023: An antichrist arrives, World War III and the monarchy dies | Watch (msn.com)

Believe it on not.

Comment

Archaeologists Discovered New Dinosaur Footprints—and Mysterious Symbols Next to Them (yahoo.com)

The Flinstones was a docu drama.

Comment

Working...
              X