Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Japanese

Aloha!
    I just completed this class this past summer, where a large aspect of it was on " The Local Asian Culture" in Hawaii. Specifically, how the(LAC) "Local Asian Culture" handles conflict. The generalization was that that (LAC) handles conflict by avoiding it at all costs. They tend to suppress their feelings, because they do not want to make trouble/"waves". Their anger is usually handled in a passive-aggressive way. I really resonated with this as I have been born and raised here and am local Japanese.
    I have rarely traveled to the Mainland.
    So just wondering if Mainland Asians generally handle conflict in the same way as Local Asians in Hawaii do? undefined

Re: Being Japanese

Originally posted by Keoni-San
    So just wondering if Mainland Asians generally handle conflict in the same way as Local Asians in Hawaii do?
    I'm just supposing here, but it seems to me that latter-generation Japanese Americans are more likely to develop the temperament of the region they grow up in. In Japan, it's said that "the nail that sticks up is quickly hammered down," and there are hints that the philosophy holds true in Hawaii, as you say. I know that I am definitely the conflict-avoiding, passive-aggressive, avoid-confrontation-at-nearly-all-costs type, but I don't know if that's because I'm Japanese and living in Hawaii or for some other reason.

I'm only a second-generation Japanese-American (my mom is from Kyushu). It is my (quite possibly very flawed) observation that someone who's fourth- or fifth-generation is more the product of the region he or she grows up in, so that being from Los Angeles or Nebraska or Tennessee is more of an influence than being of Japanese ancestry.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I once met a Japanese-American guy who was born and raised in Chicago. He was built like a fireplug and had an abrasive personality -- vintage Chicago, as far as I could tell! It blew my mind to hear that nasal Chicago accent come out of a Japanese face. He also had a great big I'm-a-minority-and-have-to-prove-myself chip on his shoulder.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. When you get down to fourth and fifth generations, the only Japanese-ness seems to be in physical appearance. The rest is pure, 100% American. Chicago-American, Nebraska-American, or Tennessee-American. I believe this is what locals really mean when they refer derisively (even in jest) to someone as a kotonk. They've got no local-ness (which, partly, is Japanese-ness) and are completely mainland.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm third generation Japanese in the islands (Sansei). My grandparents immigrated to the Big Island where my parents were born into sugar plantations. I was born into a mix of traditional Japanese and emerging American influences.

I honestly believe the Sansei here in Hawaii is the remnants of traditional Japanese culture reminicent of older Japan. We tend to hang on to our traditional ways whereas the Japanese of my age (44) in Japan tend to evolve the culture into something more modern.

My generation still can remember when entire communities of Japanese families gathered together and did traditional things. My parents spoke English to me but Japanese when being scolded. We understood the meaning of Eastern non-verbal gestures. We understood those unwritten rules of eastern protocol when it came to diplomacy.

Being Sansei, we also understood Western protocols and non-verbal communications. We knew when to use East and West to stay out of trouble with our Western counterparts and when to use either for our benefit.

Being Sansei we were able to transcend East and West effectively which is why a lot of Sansei are very successful in business here where both cultures intermesh.

I can say this because being the father of six boys, one adult and two teenagers, I can see firsthand how western influence has limited my ability to teach my children the cultural differences of East and West. They live in the world of MTV where defiance is key to being cool.

Sadly, the western influence has corrupted the youth of mainland Japan where respect for elders and the land has deteriorated to a fictional belief.

Sansei reflect the dying culture of respect and responsibility to one's family and cultural identity. My children have never lived an Eastern way of life, they only know a world of Big Macs. I tell my co-workers that my children come from a generation where they go from crawling to walking to driving. They don't seem interested in bikes, heck they don't even know how to use hashi or chopsticks! My father made me learn to eat with hashi by making me pick up five uncooked grains of rice every night before I could eat dinner. I went to bed hungry many times. I was only 5-years old. Needless to say I am a master of those two sticks now.

Sansei was a generation like most generations my age can remember where discipline was a stalk of sugar cane, a belt buckle, koa paddle (with holes), anything that stung long after the abuse. But we respected authority after the punishment. When we knew we were going to get it, we bowed with respect and took it respectfully. There was no thought of vengance only one of sorrow for not being obedient. That was the difference between east and western forms of physical punishment. In the West you got angry for being punished. In the East, you felt sorry.

Today's Japanese youth get angry like their western peers. There's very little distinction between East and West now. You see Westerners with tatoo's of Japanese Kangi depicting respect, strength, long life etc...like badges of honor. Did they earn those badges? Of course not this what they desire to attain. Do you see people buying the Purple Heart or the Medal of Honor and wearing them in public? No but you see them with these tatoo's not understanding the importance of them, like the warrior band tatoo around the arm. Give me a break.

As a Japanese/American, when I was awarded the ribbon of good conduct when I was in the US Air Force, I humbly rejected it. I told my Squadron Commander that good conduct is demanded of my enlistment, failing that was an article 15. You shouldn't have to be rewarded for doing the respectful thing. Japanese look at those kinds of rewards as embarrassing. My children cannot understand that mentality. Western culture look at that kind of rejection of reward as insulting. Funny thing is Eastern culture believes that accepting a reward is an insult to their moral character.

There's a lot that both cultures can learn from each other. East demands respect for elders and authority. West demands equal respect for one another. There's a time when you must respect those above you and when you must challenge authority. West seems to be winning though and there is a slow death grip on authority with today's youth. An act of defiance leads to anarchy in due time in the meantime, chaos will ensue. Signs of the times? We're living it right now.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I like the Eastern values more than the Western values. In my eyes, it's closer to what a human being should be. No offense to anyone.. Maybe, my ideas seem quite farfetched, but I feel humanity is severely lacking in the world, whether in the US, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, etc.

Comment

I feel that we must all endure some form of humility. That grounds us and takes our arrogance away for the time being.

The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki brought upon Japan the greatest form of humility, where the mightier took down the proud to the point of surrender. The arrogance of Japan was destroyed and in it's place the seed of humility was born. France was spared that indignity with the support of the United States. Sometimes I feel France should have been humilated too. I've been to France and I saw first hand the arrogance of the French. Plus it stinks there.

One thing about the United States though we are proud and we have the military might, which can make us look rather arrogant, however in times of war, it's good to be on the side with all the toys.

Comment

How can France stink when they have the best perfumes in the world?

Who do you think can make the US bow down the way the US made Japan, and many other countries bow down?

Comment

I think it'll take a couple of generations before we as Americans will see a more balanced view of how the rest of the world views Americans. The internet has broken down those barriers and allows unbiased views to be debated without government intervention.

The United States is just a culmination of what every nation wanted to be because we are a land of immigrants (except for our native Americans), we took cultural values from across the world and blended it together and now the rest of the world hates us for taking their best values and calling it the American Dream. It's no wonder why they hate us. Americans may be arrogant, but we took that value from the French! They invented it.

And France Stinks is the reason why they invented Perfume!

Comment

I'm also Sansei, but I've lived on the mainland longer than I lived in Hawaii. I can make one observation about Japanese Americans up here v. ones that were born and raised in Hawaii. I can spot a non-local Japanese-American ("kotonk") immediately (I guess I am endowed with "local" radar!)

I hope I am living in the best of all possible worlds right now: I still respect authority (most of the time) and my elders (all the time). However, I am not likely just to sit back and be passive when I see something wrong. I am not one who, in a class, will sit in the back and not raise my hand to ask a question. I am not one who will stand by silently and hope the next guy will do something about a problem. If I can fix a problem, I will; if I can't, I will go find someone who can. I will rock the boat if I think it will cause people to think about things and possibly make changes for the better, but I will not just say things to hear the sound of my voice.

Part of this may be because I am more "haole" in my thinking now (I did go to college up here), but the "local" part of me prays that what is going on in Hawaii today (ridiculous housing and transportation costs, lack of infrastructure and natural resources, etc. etc.) can be turned back. If I move back to the 'aina, I hope to make a difference, not be part of the problem.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Alright Miulang! I'd like to believe that I'd be like you if push came to shove but in reality I'm too "chicken". So when I read that someone will stand up for liberty and Justice it makes me feel good. I try to stand up when I feel someone is being unfairly put down but I don't speak up more often...and tend to chime in when someone else speaks up first...too timid I guess.
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                        Alright Miulang! I'd like to believe that I'd be like you if push came to shove but in reality I'm too "chicken". So when I read that someone will stand up for liberty and Justice it makes me feel good. I try to stand up when I feel someone is being unfairly put down but I don't speak up more often...and tend to chime in when someone else speaks up first...too timid I guess.
                        Believe me, Mocha, it didn't come easily at first for me, either. What you have to do is focus on something you really believe in, speak up, feel good about speaking up and then it becomes easier and easier! You sort of have to pick your battles, though, so you can win the war (your ultimate goal). When you go against the stereotype of the compliant, obedient Asian-American, it really makes people sit up and listen to you (ha! the advantage of being nonwhite up here is that I am different), so rather than sitting back and playing on stereotypes, I "geev em" and most of the time people do stop and think about what I'm saying. I can't really speak for anyone but me and my own personal experiences, and that's what everyone should be doing.

Keep trying...it will get easier!

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X