Tonga Peace Corps 45th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonga Peace Corps 45th anniversary

Matapule and uaifi just returned from Washington DC for the 45th Anniversary of our Peace Corps service in Tonga. We were the first group to be assigned to Tonga followed 3 months later by the Tonga II group. This was a reunion for the Tonga I/II groups and we had around 50 participants. We reunited with people we hadn't seen in 45 years and the event was magical. We picked up right where we left off 45 years ago........and in the fakatonga way, we were quite boisterous at times, pretty amazing for people in their late 60's and early 70's.

We had 6 particpants from Hawai'i - 5 from Hilo and one from Honolulu and even two flew in from Australia. We had a special tour of the White House and Capital building arranged by Senator Inouye. We were supposed to meet with the Senator in his office but he was called back to Hawai'i at the last moment.......something about a "train" in Honolulu! So his aide, Mary (kama aina), hosted us in his absence. We also toured Mount Vernon as a group (very interesting, especially the slave quarters).

Coincidences abounded for one and all! For example, one volunteer married a Tongan while in service. She mentioned that she had a Tongan brother-in-law who now lives in Sydney, AUS. She stated his name and matapuule nearly fainted. Her BIL was my Tongan counterpart and co-worker while I was in service in Vava'u!

Wonderful experience in a very small world! Keep the ofa (love) flowing!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Working...
X