Almond Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almond Milk

The thread on rice got me thinking about another alternative food product I use. I tried Almond Milk about two years ago and became a huge fan! I never drink moo juice anymore. Here are the advantages of Almond Milk:
    - lower calories than real milk (40 cal. per cup for unsweetened and 60 cal. for sweetened - I drink unsweetened)
    - unopened cartons do not need to be refrigerated and have shelf life of 6 months.
    - less expensive than real milk (at Costco)
    - equally nutritious (if not more so) than real milk.

Usually matapule breakfast consist of a smoothy:
    1/2 c. uncooked oatmeal
    1 tbs. wheat bran (or flax)
    1 c. almond milk
    1/2 c. whole fruit (like blueberries or pineapple)
    1 c. ice

blend the mess til nice and creamy. Fills me up til lunchtime!

Matapule never drink coffee (sorry upchuck Starbuck). I think that it is the most vile "beverage" ever devised by mankind! (please start new thread if you want to extol the virtues of coffee)
    Last edited by matapule; October 10, 2012, 04:06 AM.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Almond Milk

I, too, am a fan of almond milk I haven't had a glass of "moo juice" since I was a kid. I don't drink almond milk by the glass but do use it in place of cows milk. I love steel cut oats cooked in unsweetened chocolate almond milk..in the crockpot...overnight...enough fir 5 breakfasts...easy-sneezy!

I won't start a coffee thread 'cuz I don't drink it either!

Comment

I love almond milk; drink it right out of the carton (hey; I live alone). The huge downside, which you don't mention, is that it's not milk. You can't use it in place of milk in any of your cooking.

My favorite thing to have it with is overnight oats. Uncooked rolled oats, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, chia seeds (okay...I usually skip the chia seeds). Leave it in the fridge overnight. Breakfast.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Neither the Alpha Female nor I are fans of cow's milk, though we do use it in cooking and baking still. She first tried soy milk, which I liked for the rare times I will eat a cereal with milk on it, but she has since switched to almond milk for her cereal. She switched due to some medical research that suggests that soy milk may not be healthful for women entering menopause.

Comment

I can't remember if I drank Almond milk of Amnesia.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            I love almond milk; drink it right out of the carton (hey; I live alone). The huge downside, which you don't mention, is that it's not milk. You can't use it in place of milk in any of your cooking.
            I've successfully replaced cows milk with almond milk in cornbread mix dozens of times. That's the extent of my baking!
            My favorite thing to have it with is overnight oats. Uncooked rolled oats, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, chia seeds (okay...I usually skip the chia seeds). Leave it in the fridge overnight. Breakfast.
            Cool. I'd not heard of that method before. I actually do add the chia seeds...after they've been hydrated.

Comment

Working...
            X