The Sid Caesar Collection on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sid Caesar Collection on DVD

One of the things I did back in 1997 was to be the stage manager for a play called Laughter on the 23rd Floor which was written by Neil Simon. The play was based on his experiences as a new writer on TV variety show called Your Show of Shows. While I have heard about the various people like Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Nanette Fabray, Imogene Coca, Mel Brooks and Woody Allen who worked on this show I never saw it due to it was shown on TV before I was born.

Last week while checking out Tower Video they were selling two different DVD collections from Sid Caesar. One in a blue box called The Buried Treasures and another in a yellow box which the name escapes me. I picked the blue box because one of the bonus items was Neil Simon talking about the opening of Laughter on the 23rd Floor. Which was kind of disapointing to me because he didn't say every much about, like under 5 minutes but that did not turn me off from the rest of this collection which includes 3 DVD each containing over a hour worth of sketches (at least 6 routines plus a bonus) with interviews with writers and cast members of the show.

Re: The Sid Caesar Collection on DVD

I don't think I missed a single one of the "Show of Shows" telecasts. Only person as funny in those days as Sid Caesar was Milton Berle. Or Red Skelton. Ernie Kovacs.

Welllll, okay, Lucille Ball, of course.

I guess if I had the opportunity to own a DVD collection of those ancient television shows, I'd have to go for a complete one of the original "I Love Lucy".

Comment

Working...
    X