Eggnog French toast casserole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggnog French toast casserole

Bet they don't serve this at Le Guignol!

Eggnog French Toast Casserole - Makes 6 servings

8 c loosely packed cubes of your favorite bread
    1 batch clean eating eggnog edit: I have no idea what 'clean eating' eggnog is, nor how much is a batch. Ain't that a bitch?!
    1/2 c ground almonds (optional)

Prepare eggnog the night before you make this.
    Cut up bread and place in casserole dish. (you can do this the night before as well if you cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn’t dry out)
    NOTE: You should use a dish that is close to 9 x 13.
    Pour eggnog over bread and top with chopped nuts (if you are using them).
    Bake at 350 for 35-45 min. or until eggnog is sufficiently baked into bread.
    Cool slightly and serve with maple syrup, honey, fruit or nuts for topping.

I'd add shredded coconut on top prior to baking, and watch it and/or cover with tin foil so it just browns. Plus coconut milk/cream would be great all over when on the plate.
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 26, 2012, 02:31 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Eggnog French toast casserole

This sounds like a fun recipe, and it makes sense to use the eggnog. Eggnog is basically an unset custard, and French toast is basically a set custard with bread in it. This recipe will remind you of those "breakfast before" (also called "gosh" in some places) casseroles where you tear up some bread, add cheese and breakfast meats, and pour over it a mixture of milk and eggs to soak overnight. A little while in the oven the next morning and you have a yummy, filling, popular breakfast. That, too, is basically a custard.

The result is a lot like a crustless quiche. And a quiche, as we know, is also a custard.

I have been experimenting with the same idea using leftover pizza. I wonder how it would work using store-bought eggnog.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

YUM!
      Now I need to make this over 10 characters...

We got plenty of "characters" on HT....
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        This makes sense to use the eggnog.
        I wonder how it would work using store-bought eggnog.
        It's another one of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments. But then in relation to your 2nd question, below, I've rarely had real nog to consider, and the store kind may only get things mushy instead of setting up. But, just as I like soggy bread pudding, both could be worth a try. I can only imagine a little cinnamon would add proper zest to it, I've always used it in my standard FT batter.

Good luck, and post up after you've experimented with it. And Kaonohi, try it using some animal crackers for some extra character!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Cool slightly and serve with maple syrup, honey, fruit or nuts for topping.
          By all means, drizzle maple syrup over the sweet eggnog bread-custard, but why stop short? How about an additional hot chocolate fudge topping dusted with confectioners sugar? Or maybe crumbled praline.
          Greg

Comment

Now yer talkin', only I'd sub butterscotch for the chocolate. That I have a mouthful of teeth like this smiley is the 8th wonder of the world (and free of diabetes!).

Comment

Working...
            X