R.I.P., Sen. Hiram Fong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P., Sen. Hiram Fong

Breaking news on the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin websites.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P., Sen. Hiram Fong

This is sad to hear. My condolences.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

He did a lot of good things while in political office. Hope the riff with family members was resolved. Went to school with one of his sons. Condolences to the family. At ninety seven I'm sure he saw a lot of changes in Hawaii both positive and negative.
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Is that why the US and Hawaii flags have been lowered to half-mast? I didn't know they lowered the US flag for former senators, although I would have expected it for the Hawaii flag.

Comment

According to the US Code on the flying of the U.S. flag...
          The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day.
          Fong was a former Member of Congress, so he rates two days of half-masted flags.

Comment

Quite a while back, but RIP!
            When I posted this news on the other forums I go to, I didn't get a single reply.

Comment

Yes, it's sad that he wasn't really recognized for some of the things he accomplished: he was the first Chinese-American US Senator and his charitable foundation has helped many local organizations. It's too bad in his final years that the family squabbles took away from all he the good he did during his productive years. It was all about money.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X