Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers

Is that true that there is a shortage of teachers in Hawaii?

I am going to be a math teacher soon (7-12 grade) would I have problems with finding a teaching job in Hawaii?

Thanks,
    Ania

Re: Teachers

Ania, there are plenty of openings for secondary school math teachers in the Hawai'i public school system. According to this news article, as of a month ago, they were still short for this year. For more info, check:

Hawai'i Department of Education
    Hawai'i State Teachers Association (the teachers' union)

What you really need to look at closely is whether you can afford to move to Hawai'i and live on the salary they're offering, which is not very much. (There are also many private schools in the islands, but I don't know about their hiring needs. Anybody?)

Comment

And be willing to be DOE'd. That's the term I've been hearing from my ambitious teacher friends who entered the DOE system and became part of the machine.

One of my friends who became a kindergarden teacher at a well known public elementary school near the UH came in with these grand ideas of molding young children's minds (what was she thinking) and then told me she's through fighting the system and let the system DOE her. Now she just does she's told to do. Too bad.

And don't forget the growing list of credentials and certificates needed nowdays.

You're better off teaching at a private school where teacher support is higher.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You might want to read " DOE structure must be razed."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/8-24-04/op/letters
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Ania:

If you have a secondary math degree, you'll have no problem finding a job in Hawaii. I don't have an ed degree at all--math or otherwise--but know my stuff well enough that a small private school hired me to teach alg. II. Math teachers are difficult to replace.

Unfortunately, what Craig says about being DOEd is similar to a lot of things I hear, but don't let that stop you. I know a lot of teachers just as idealistic as Craig's friend who still find their work in public school challenging and rewarding.

If you're looking for the best-paying solution, you need to teach in a public school or at Kamehameha or Punahou, two of the larger private schools here. I teach at a very small private school and make a little over thirty grand with my seven years' experience; however, that's a bit on the low end for teachers here (it is, on the other hand, right around the median for private schools here).

That's peanuts, I know, but I love what I do and I love where I do it. I have administrators and colleagues I respect, who value me, too, and that's tough to put a price on. I have taught at two local private schools and really have little else but joy to share as testimony.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can give you any other info.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My brother has no specific teaching credentials, but he (finally) got a job teaching, starting off as a fill-in substitute at an on-base elementary school but growing pretty quickly to getting his own class. Depending on your ability to work with kids, and the topics you feel comfortable teaching, I think you'd be able to find reasonable employment and help fill a desperate need for the community at the same time.

My brother's last job was selling hats to tourists in Waikiki. Now he can't stop talking about the kids he works with - the good and the not so good. No question which job was better for his soul, as well as his wallet. (The stories are more interesting, too.)

Ania, it sounds like you're off to a good start. Even if you just get your foot in the door via the DOE, math teaching credentials will probably help you move into a private educational system pretty quickly.

Comment

^ that's great. hopefully Aina- you'll have as good a time. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X