Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Hawaiian children with Hawaiian names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Hawaiian children with Hawaiian names?

An interesting discussion sparked on Facebook, carried over to Reddit. "Those against the practice referenced things like historical trauma and cultural appropriation while those for it mentioned things like an 'appreciation' or 'connection' to the islands," notes the summary.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Hawaii/comme...awaiian_names/

Thoughts?

Re: Non-Hawaiian children with Hawaiian names?

What annoys me is the idea that Hawaiian names are special, as if people of other ethnicities don't consider very carefully the meanings and appropriatenesses of the names they give their children. In countries with pictographic languages, such as China and Japan, even the aesthetic beauty of the written name on the page is sometimes considered.

There are probably some specific names you should probably respectfully not use, but this is probably true in any ethnicity or language. I like what one of the Reddit commentors said: aloha isn't exclusive.

I was at a conference in New Mexico and met a girl named Lalauni ("luh-LAH-nee") and told her that her named sounded Hawaiian. "It is Hawaiian," she said, smiling. "My parents were there in Honolulu on their honeymoon."

Sure, one could take offense at the bastardization of a very popular (and lovely) Hawaiian name, or one could be pleased that someone came to Hawaii and had such wonderful memories of the place that they gave their daughter a name from that region. I chose the latter. And I'd hope most of us would too. She was a wonderful person and wore her name well. Lalaunis of the world would have been pleased to share a name with her.

But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Non-Hawaiian children with Hawaiian names?

Most names are borrowed from other cultures. I have an Anglo-Saxon name, two French names, a Eurasian (Eastern European) name and a Hawaiian name.

I did not choose any of them; they were bestowed upon me.

"What is in a name?" No matter what you call me, I'm still the same.

Even President Obama was recently Bestowed with an Amerindian (Crow) name: Black Eagle.

Unless one uses a name to misrepresent oneself - for instance, using a Hawaiian name to claim ancestry - then I think it's OK.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
      X