You get what you pay for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You get what you pay for?

Okay, I'm posting this here because I don't know where else it should go. Maybe this is even somewhat inappropriate to post on such a positive forum, but I'd like your input!

I recently went through a restructuring and upgrading of my wardrobe. (From uber cotton casual to business professional.) I purchased quite a few items that require dry cleaning -- 8 of which I took to one of those $3.63 dry cleaners. Of course, being a cotton kinda gal, I was not familiar with the quality of the workmanship of these cheap dry cleaning places but took the advice of a friend who said that she frequently took her clothes there.

Well, I picked up my 8 pieces today and nearly fainted. They had poked safety pins through my $85 skirt (never worn) and now there are big pukas in the waistline which are very noticeable. Also, my dress shirts look worse than when I brought them in -- apparently not pressed.

I could've done a better job with my dryer and a box of Dryel. Grrr...

Am I expecting too much for $3.63/piece? Does anyone know if this is "normal"? Or if I have grounds to complain? (Especially about the damage done to the skirt.)

Re: You get what you pay for?

If this makes any difference...

Correction, the skirt was $130 (less 20%). I just checked the Macy's web site and my receipt.

Comment

Hi Donna, sorry about your unfortunate incident. If I recieved my clothes in the same condition, or maybe even better after the dry clean I would be somewhat or very satisfied. Anything less would be unsatisfactory. What is the store's policy? Might wanna read the small lines on the bottom of the receipt....if there are any. If unsuccessful, I'd write a "stinky" letter to the BBB. And don't forget to "smack" your friend for the referral.

Just my measley $0.02

Comment

I don't know how frequently safety pins are employed in the dry cleaning business, but considering half the materials that go through those places are delicate pieces with fine weave, I can't see how they could be a very good idea. Even if they didn't use the pins in the cleaning process, they should have known better to use them when hanging or tagging them. I think it's unacceptable.

I agree with Tim. I would expect clothes + drycleaning = clean clothes. If clothes + drycleaning = clothes, I'd be disappointed. But if clothes + drycleaning = damaged clothes, that's a problem. It's like taking your car to the carwash, and getting it back just as dirty and with a broken taillight.

They at least owe you the cost of the drycleaning, but I think there's a good case to be made for at least a chunk of the cost of the garment.

Comment

Well, I called the cleaners and asked them about what can be done about clothes that have been damaged by the company. Here's what they said:

* Come tomorrow to see a manager. (They only have a MOD between the hours of 8 am - 2pm)

* Bring the damaged garment and fill out a "discrepancy form."

* The form and the garment will be reviewed by the General Manager who will determine what will be paid for the damage.

My co-worker jokingly said that they'll probably give me a gift certificate for a year's worth of free dry cleaning. Of course, that would be totally unacceptable since I have already decided never to return to this company for my dry cleaning needs. We'll see what becomes of the saga of the damaged skirt...

Comment

Working...
          X