• Show
Clear All

• MPAA/RIAA vs P2P

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...-lawsuit_x.htm
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: MPAA/RIAA vs P2P

For those who want to know what they're getting before clicking:
    In a big setback for the music and movie industries, a federal appeals court upheld an earlier decision that said operators of online swap networks aren't liable for their users' actions... In essence, the ruling says file-sharing software is legal. That sets the stage for a potential showdown before the U.S. Supreme Court and more lobbying for legislative solutions.

Comment

I didn't feel comfortable copying copyrighted text on a message board.
      Hence why I didn't do that.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Awesome...
        The RIAA is really getting annoying. Even if they ban it, people will still find a way to d/l movies, games and music. Personally, I don't see suprnova going down for a long time (at least i hope not )

Comment

I have a pointed question I would like to ask ?
          If you were an artist, producer etc and owned
          the copyrights on your content, how would you
          feel that millions of people were swapping your
          copyrighted material ?

Yes this illegal swapping has been going on
          for a long time. But instead of being isolated,
          where few people were doing it. Now millions
          of people are swapping copyrighted material.

It is even having unintended consequences
          where people lawfully copying copyrighted
          material for their own use are caught in the cross fire.
          The copyright owners are putting copyright
          protections on their content, which they are trying
          to deter the people breaking law.But it also
          effects the law abiding people.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

The RIAA has to face the fact, that music downloading is the wave of the future, whether or not its done legally.

They'll have to set up their own service similar to iTunes or Napster, or drop the prices on CDs so low, that it'll be better to get a CD than downloading the album via the above services.

But since people are too lazy to get off their chairs at home, they'll probably have to resort some way to get back lost revenues.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              The RIAA has to face the fact, that music downloading is the wave of the future, whether or not its done legally.
              I agree the RIAA/MPAA are trying to operate their 20th century
              business model in the digital 21st century. But on the other
              hand comitting copyright infringement is not right either. Essentially there is no easy answers to this issue.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

quite frankly, they are not LOSING any money, rather they are just not making quite as much. they still get their billions of dollars in profits, and its just sick that they hire lawyers to pick on people that may have caused them to not make quite as much as they theoretically could have.

Comment

Originally posted by j3rr3y
                  quite frankly, they are not LOSING any money, rather they are just not making quite as much. they still get their billions of dollars in profits, and its just sick that they hire lawyers to pick on people that may have caused them to not make quite as much as they theoretically could have.
                  So I guess you don't believe in copyright law I take it ? The copyright holders
                  have every right to go after people infringing on their copyrights. How much
                  profit has nothing to do with it. If there was no copyright law there would
                  be no incentive for people to innovate, instead there would be anarchy.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

About the only thing the RIAA hasn't pulled out of its hat to ban downloading copyrighted material is the "Patriot Act, " but I don't doubt that if their highly paid attorneys could figure out how downloading movies and music from the 'Net could imperil national security, you bet your sweet bippy they would tack the remaining provisions of the Patriot Act onto their subpoenas!
                    Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It'll just be a matter of time 'till they regulate TV on the internet.

Some sites already offer services that will bring cable/satillite TV onto your computer via high speed internet. What makes those TV watchers from not recording the shows and distribute it later? What about if they're recording it to watch at a later date?
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                        It'll just be a matter of time 'till they regulate TV on the internet.

Some sites already offer services that will bring cable/satillite TV onto your computer via high speed internet. What makes those TV watchers from not recording the shows and distribute it later? What about if they're recording it to watch at a later date?

If people stopped illegally sharing copyrighted material there would be no problem in my opinion. As I have stated, I blame the bozos who illegally mass share copyrighted material for the reduction in our fair use rights.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X