I, Robot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I, Robot

I picked up the book I, Robot sometime in July after I saw the movie and read it when I had free time. While the movie was made in 2003/2004 with a view of 2038, the book on the other hand was written in 1950 with views of 1998, 2015, 2029 and 2030's. While it had made predictions about the use of robots and working on other planets in the solar system it didn't make much of a prediction about computers in general. It is almost made it such that using computers was not common place.

Re: I, Robot

Asimov was conservative in how he envisioned future times, unlike Clarke (Arthur was SO off with "2001"). When the "I Robot" collection was written there was almost no reason to think computers would become commonplace.

If you did enjoy the stories, by all means, read Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, and let's hope they do a better job of making the books in a movie (or movies?).

Comment

Re: I, Robot

I Robot was written in an era when computing was done only on mainframe computers that occupied entire buildings.. No one invisioned that you would have something as powerful as a mainframe that would sit on your desk or fit into a briefcase until the mid 70's /early 80,s. Robotics were a bit more plausable because you had the basic components around in the 50's ( Motors, servos, hydraulics) Of course there are few SF novels of the Future that we are now living in that even come close to what reality really is.

I haven't seen the movie but most films made of classic SF novels ususally butcher the story. Starship Troopers was an really good novel by Rober H Heilnean but was butchered on the big screen with a Abercrombie and Fitch cast and cheesy CGI special effects.
      May God bless those who love us. And those who do not love us, may He turn their hearts. And if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

Comment

Working...
      X