Kulolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kulolo

I can't get this right. :\ Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It comes out a big globby mess. Should the taro be older? And is it better to use the purplish taro or the plain white taro?

Re: Kulolo

Damn you Kamlost, when I saw that thread Kulolo, you got my mouth watering for some of that. Now I can't get it out of my mind! Thanks a lot! Is there anyplace in Hilo or Kea'au that sells good Kulolo?

Anyway maybe more geletin in the mix to shore it up? I don't know as I've never made Kulolo but love the stuff.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The steam is getting into your kulolo while you are cooking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clocked
        The steam is getting into your kulolo while you are cooking it.
        Hmmm...den kind of one problem, yeah? You need da steam foa cook da kulolo, but you no need da moisture dat can drip on top da stuff. I tink das why da Hawaiians wen go wrap da kulolo in ti leaves...to keep da water droplets from going on top da food. If no get ti leaves, you can go put someting absorbent in between da foil and da kulolo...like cheesecloth. I do dat wen I go steam manapua so da bread no come out funny kine.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ti leaves???? hmmmm poisonous?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Hmmm...den kind of one problem, yeah? You need da steam foa cook da kulolo, but you no need da moisture dat can drip on top da stuff. I tink das why da Hawaiians wen go wrap da kulolo in ti leaves...to keep da water droplets from going on top da food. If no get ti leaves, you can go put someting absorbent in between da foil and da kulolo...like cheesecloth. I do dat wen I go steam manapua so da bread no come out funny kine.

Miulang
            i never think if that! my manapua's allways get funny when I steam them, so I have just been baking them, I'll have to try the cheesecloth. than

Comment

My mother's manapuas are the best!

BTW, the ti leaves worked. thank you

Comment

Working...
              X