X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity - Heaven & Hell

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Glen we're at odds here but we can still respect each other's opinions and that's important here even though you'll be damned to hell for your remarks But then again I'll probably be your neighbor down there for making remarks like that!
    That's cool. I'm glad we can have a discussion and not start name-calling. See you in hell -- if there even is such a place.

Re: Where do you stand on the issue of abortion?

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    That's cool. I'm glad we can have a discussion and not start name-calling. See you in hell -- if there even is such a place.
    God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be
    tortured for eternity in hell. That’s not free will. It’s like a man
    telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I
    will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call
    him a psychopath. When god says the same we call him “loving” and build
    churches in his honor.
    - William C. Easttom II

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be tortured for eternity in hell. That’s not free will. It’s like a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call him a psychopath. When god says the same we call him “loving” and build churches in his honor.
      - William C. Easttom II
      I guess it depends on exactly what you think hell is. I have heard some Christians say that hell is simply the absence of God. So for Easttom's example, it might be more like a man telling his girlfriend, if you leave me, you won't have me... and that's the worst punishment you could ever suffer. When a man says this, we say that he has a really high opinion of himself.

Comment

you know as a Christian, I believe there is a place, but for the sake of humanity and I hate fire...I hope you're right too.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I guess it depends on exactly what you think hell is. I have heard some Christians say that hell is simply the absence of God. So for Easttom's example, it might be more like a man telling his girlfriend, if you leave me, you won't have me... and that's the worst punishment you could ever suffer. When a man says this, we say that he has a really high opinion of himself.

Hell is your worst place right? So what is hell to a police officer? A pimp's world. What's hell to a pimp? A world of do gooders. What's heaven to an officer? A world of do gooders. What's heaven to a pimp? A world full of prostitutes.

So Hell to me is what you make of it. So if you think you're in Heaven and you see your mother in law, oh well you made some bad decisions in life. But to your mother in law, she's in heaven! She gets to nag you for eternity!

What's Heaven for me? A message board where every one agrees with me (and Mel). Gee I must have died and gone to Hell. Hey Glen, we made it!

Comment

I guess it depends on exactly what you think hell is.

some say hell or for that matter, heaven, is what you think it to be. What you envision, what you create in your mind, heart, emotions. what you were taught to believe it is, that's what it is. Its subjective. It is not objective and will never be a definitive thing.

After all, that's one of the major problems in defining the so called afterlife.
            That's why this aspect of life on earth here (religion) that was supposedly created to help make 'man' more spiritual and loving seems to have been the cause of so much divisiveness, wars, strife...

We are using finite terms and concepts to define something that is infinite and abstract. We are using a finite brain to attempt to comprehend 'some-"thing" infinite. How can the human brain/mind conceive of, visualise, imagine, picture; something that there are no words for? words were created to help us define and understand the physical world. and there's nothing that can help us understand something outside of our reality.
            so each and every person in this mortal coil has their own interpretation, translation, conception of god, heaven, hell... and many of like minds band together. and others of slighty differing viewpoints separate from them, and this scenario is replicated ad infinitum. and we have all these groups then posing upon their hilltops yelling their dogma and commanding their dictum: Worship and believe our way, worship and bow down to our god. Cuz if ya don't we and our god will come down and smite you and YOUR god.
            Last edited by kimo55; August 25, 2004, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Re: Christianity - Heaven & Hell

I think my hell would be when I get cremated and my ashes are scattered over the Pacific Ocean, that there's a huge wind that comes up and blows the bits and pieces of me back onto the boat or airplane, not into the ocean so I can become fish fodder!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                I think my hell would be when I get cremated and my ashes are scattered over the Pacific Ocean, that there's a huge wind that comes up and blows the bits and pieces of me back onto the boat or airplane, not into the ocean so I can become fish fodder!

Miulang

my heaven would be my ashes tossed over the ocean, a wind carries them over to walmart and falls on that smiley face icon rolling back prices who then chokes on them.

Comment

my heaven would be my ashes tossed over the ocean, a wind carries them over to walmart and falls on that smiley face icon rolling back prices who then chokes on them.
                  Good one, Kimo! ROFLMAO!
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

And your hell would be when nobody cares when that smiley face takes some discounted Nyquil from it's racks and keeps on smiling.

So far Jesus is living his hell since not a whole lot of people seem to care about his crucification. But then good always prevails over evil in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      So far Jesus is living his hell since not a whole lot of people seem to care about his crucification. But then good always prevails over evil in the end.
                      I guess people like Kimo and me are the reason that Jesus is living his hell? Actually, I am a pantheist...I like some of the Christian stuff (both Catholic and Protestant--in fact I can still say the "Hail Marys" as fast as any kid in catechism!), some Buddhist stuff, some Moslem stuff, some Hebrew stuff, some Unitarian stuff even. In fact, I find religion fascinating. Ever considered the fact that most of the great religions of the world seem to have been started around the same time (insert "Twilight Zone" music here)? So maybe it was the aliens who landed and went on pilgrimages to teach the heathens about things which should be common sense, like "don't kill anybody". Every religion has tenets that are very similar to each other. Why is that?

My Dad was raised as a Buddhist (his mom wanted him to be a Buddhist minister, according to family legend) but was sent to a Methodist boarding school (MidPac). He used to take my brother and me to Buddhist church every Sunday except on Easter Sunday, when we'd be singing "Onward Christian Soldiers" at the Easter Sunrise services! That's one of the beautiful things about living in Hawaii.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        I guess people like Kimo and me are the reason that Jesus is living his hell? Actually, I am a pantheist...

To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition

Comment

To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition
                          Hey Kimo. We stay be on da same side, bruddah. A pantheist believes in many religions and that there's no one true religion. An atheist believes there is no ultimate being or religion, for that matter (look what happened to Madelyn Murray O'Hair, da wahine who help create da law dat wen go ban prayers in public schools? She wen go make die dead for her beliefs anden!). We gotta believe, just in case, yeah?

Miulang

Comment

that was the short answer.
                            to really define, i suppose I'd be fairly guilty of being a teleological, existential agnostic pantheistic essene theosphist with growing gnostic leanings that believes religion is essentially one of those complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.
                            Last edited by kimo55; August 25, 2004, 03:57 PM.

Comment

that was the short answer.
                              to really define, i suppose I'd be fairly guilty of being a teleological, existential agnostic pantheistic essene with growing gnostic leanings that believes religion is essentially one of those complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.
                              You got it bruddah! And it ain't a Toyota!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X