Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I'm new

Howzit?

I'm about as haole as you're gonna find 'em, but over the past couple years (okay, FIVE) I've been jonesin' bad to get out to the Islands, ever since my wife's last business trip there, when she started bringin' up the idea.

So, now's the time to start working on it. One place to start making contacts with people who could, maybe, just possibly, in a couple years, get me the chance to land a job there, is here, I figure.

And yes, I've done lots of research. Some of you have seen my posts on usenet and other places over the years. I been readin' and talkin' and learnin' about what it's like to live on the various islands, and so's my wife. We still want to!

So, drop me a line, point me to the places to meet people, and let's see what comes up!

Mahalo,
    Andy
    Andy the wannabe
    near DC? wanna talk 'bout HI?
    drop me a line, I wanna learn!

Re: OK, I'm new

Howzit Andy! If you really do want to move here, you should take a few more trips first and do some on-the-ground research while you're in the islands. Being here on vacation and living here are very different things. Sounds like you've gotten started, but nothing beats being here in person. Where are you now?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Howzit Andy! If you really do want to move here, you should take a few more trips first and do some on-the-ground research while you're in the islands. Being here on vacation and living here are very different things. Sounds like you've gotten started, but nothing beats being here in person. Where are you now?
      Oh, I sure do want to make some more trips, it's just hard to arrange (job, family, all that..) - maybe next year in the Fall or Winter.

We're in Maryland now, that's a big part of why this long-distance thing is so hard. Also a big part of why I'm putting a two-year timeframe on it (and staying flexible there). Having one keiki in college and one in preschool makes it interesting, too...

Thanks, and let's keep a-talkin'!

Andy
      Andy the wannabe

Comment

"We're in Maryland now, that's a big part of why this long-distance thing is so hard."

Yep, that's a long way away. But then I first arrived here from England, even further. Somehow have managed to stay here fifteen years, but only had myself to worry about, no spouse and children.

A single man with a yearn for the Islands, I'd totally encourage. Can't really wholeheartedly support it for a man with a family, not until the youngsters are out of the nest.

But then, the young man who runs this site lives here, with an increasingly crowded nest, so it certainly is possible.

Comment

One of the big problems that I have noticed that outsiders have when trying to settle in Hawai'i is the extreme isolation, both physical and social. If you move to Hawai'i knowing no one, you have no social support network, at least to start with. Young couples really feel this lack when the first baby comes and they realize that all the grandparents are literally an ocean away. By contrast, most locals have family to rely on -- I know I relied on 'em a lot when my kids were small! -- and that helps.

And I have heard from outsiders that Hawai'i people can be standoffish. No laugh, people say this! In a way I can see what they mean, because lots of local folks have their established network of friends -- often guys they've known since elementary school -- and don't go out of their way to welcome newcomers into their circles. Japanese are famous for this: we didn't get that "clannish" stereotype for nothing. If you're the new guy and all your coworkers just go home at the end of the day, there's little chance to make friends at work... unless you make the extra effort to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            And I have heard from outsiders that Hawai'i people can be standoffish. No laugh, people say this!
            I can agree on this too. But I do notice that while people in Hawaii don't tend to give newcomers keys to the city, we don't run them out of Dodge either.

Comment

With good reason too ya know! Must not be weak to penetration.

Welcome though.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
                With good reason too ya know! Must not be weak to penetration.
                Boy, I wouldn't want to take that too far out of context!

But fromeverything I hear, the people inf most places in Hawai`i have a pretty good thing going (there are neighborhoods were ice is a big problem, other places where plain old poverty is serious, but in general...)

I'd be a little cautious about accepting newcomers then, too. As visitors, sure, that's one thing, but if you want to come in and stay 'here' permanently? Well, let's just see how you fit in first.

Leastwise, that's how I see the attitude from here. Makes sense to me. If the newbie is polite, friendly, respectful (of traditions and such, too) and willing to learn and adjust a little to a different way of doing things, he/she ought to be able to fit in.

Ot am I completely lost in space there?

Ciao,
                Andy
                Andy the wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by madsox

Ot am I completely lost in space there?
                  Nah, Andy, that's called being logical and prudent. Anyone would have challenges whenever they make the kind of geographic (and paradigmal) change you're anticipating.

It happens to many of the ex-pats who moved from Hawaii to the mainland, too, unless they happen to connect with an entrenched community of locals. Imagine a local, nonwhite person who grew up in Hawaii being plunked down in some hick town in Texas where s/he is the only "different" looking and sounding person? (Personally, there are some parts of Hawaii and Texas where it would be somewhat hazardous to my own health to live).

In Hawaii, though, I think it's easier to make the change. Just keep doing your homework and when you finally get there, do what you said you would do--especially respecting the cultures and the people who live in your community--and I think you'll do OK.

Ooooh! I just thought of something else you could do to prepare yourself! Go register on www.ohanalanai.com and ask if there are any ex-pats who live in your area. I guarantee that you'll find someone pretty close by to you who'd be very willing to help you out. And most of the time, these people still have connections/family in Hawaii. Since you live in Maryland, I'm almost positive we have members living there (we have members who live in VA, NYC, Philly). They can also tell you about events focusing on local things, like luaus, hula festivals, local musicians travelling across the country on promotional tours that might be headed your way. That way, you can start getting immersed in the culture before you even move to Hawaii.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; August 29, 2004, 06:27 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Ooooh! I just thought of something else you could do to prepare yourself! Go register on www.ohanalanai.com and ask if there are any ex-pats who live in your area.
                    Miulang
                    Yup, I'm over there too. Hangin' out and listening, mostly. That's one friendly, chatty place, there! Kinda like here

Sorry it took me so long to answer this, just been busy - thanks for the feedback, though, M, it's great!

Later,
                    ND
                    Andy the wannabe

Comment

Working...
                    X