Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Married in December!

Aloha kakou,

My fiance, Vicki, and I are coming to Hawai'i in December. Originally, it was just a vacation, but she has been wanting to get married in Hawai'i since we went to visit my family last summer. So, when I proposed in July, we both decided that, even though it is kind of last minute, we would get married when we were there.

So, I guess my question is this: we're not sure exactly where we want to get married and have the reception and stuff. We're looking for ideas. I've already got my mom and sister helping me out, looking around for places that we can do it. Vicki kind of wants to do the wedding on the beach or something like that. We're not looking for a really traditional church wedding or anything.

We've been looking at different places online, but not every place necessarily advertises on the Internet. Do any of you know of anywhere we can have our wedding? I've got probably about 50 family members in Hawai'i that will most likely want to attend. Also, we're not really sure what our budget is. Her parents said that they would pay for it, but we are still trying not to go overboard with their money. Anybody got any good information or suggestions of where we can look?

Mahalo nui loa in advance!

Keli'i
    Free iPod
    Free Flatscreen

Re: Getting Married in December!

Originally posted by WERUreo
    Aloha kakou,

My fiance, Vicki, and I are coming to Hawai'i in December. Originally, it was just a vacation, but she has been wanting to get married in Hawai'i since we went to visit my family last summer. So, when I proposed in July, we both decided that, even though it is kind of last minute, we would get married when we were there.

So, I guess my question is this: we're not sure exactly where we want to get married and have the reception and stuff. We're looking for ideas. I've already got my mom and sister helping me out, looking around for places that we can do it. Vicki kind of wants to do the wedding on the beach or something like that. We're not looking for a really traditional church wedding or anything.

We've been looking at different places online, but not every place necessarily advertises on the Internet. Do any of you know of anywhere we can have our wedding? I've got probably about 50 family members in Hawai'i that will most likely want to attend. Also, we're not really sure what our budget is. Her parents said that they would pay for it, but we are still trying not to go overboard with their money. Anybody got any good information or suggestions of where we can look?

Mahalo nui loa in advance!

Keli'i
    Hui Keli'i:
    So you going tell da odda guys on da Lanai you getting hitched too, yeah?

One of my coworkers wen go get married on da beach in Honolulu in front of da Mandarin Hotel last year. I neva wen go, but da guys who wen, said was very very romantic! Dey wen hold da reception at da groom's parent's hale (someplace in Aiea, I tink).

Get da kine wedding planners in Hawaii too, if you like use 'em. Plenty kine people get married on Maui ("Just maui'd!") and I know can get all kine wedding packages ova dere. I'm sure get da same (and probably more!) on Oahu, if dat's where you like get married.

Malama pono,
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

One word of advice about outdoor weddings. At most outdoor weddings I've attended, it was impossible for anyone except the bridal party to hear anything that the bride or groom said. This is especially true of beach weddings, because there's almost always a breeze that blows the sound away. If you'd like your guests to be able to hear your wedding vows, then make sure you've got some kind of sound system set up.

Congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations! ^ what he said. Have it in the garden of a resort and not right by the shore

I'll keep an eye out and I'll let ya know.

Comment

Aloha everyone! Just wanted to ask a quick question for those still living in Hawai'i.... In the winter time, what is the latest time that the sun sets?? I ask because since we really want to have our wedding ceremony outdoors, my fiance was concerned about the sunset. The date is in the middle of the work week, so we want to have it at a time when most everyone will be available. But we don't want it to be too late, because of the possibility of there being no light! It's been a long time since I was in Hawai'i in the winter, so I don't remember exactly when the sun sets in December.

Also, for those interested in updates, we have pretty much decided that we are going to have our reception at the Pearl Country Club. It looks like a really nice place, and it was pretty affordable. Since her parents are paying for most everything, we had to keep things reasonable. We still haven't decided exactly where to have the actual ceremony. We could do it at the Pearl Country Club, but we still prefer to do it somewhere near the ocean. My mom is looking into Ko Olina and maybe somewhere in Waikiki. We are most likely going to be staying at the Sheraton Waikiki for the three days around when the wedding is happening, which will be nice.

We also bought our wedding bands today. They are getting sized and should be ready in two weeks, at which time we plan on sending them back out to get engraved. We're not sure exactly what to engrave on them yet, but I guess we have two weeks to decide.

Only about 95 days left until the big day!!
          Free iPod
          Free Flatscreen

Comment

We also bought our wedding bands today. They are getting sized and should be ready in two weeks, at which time we plan on sending them back out to get engraved. We're not sure exactly what to engrave on them yet, but I guess we have two weeks to decide.

Only about 95 days left until the big day!!
            Something in Hawaiian would be soooo cool since you're getting married in Hawaii (but don't ask me, I don't know Hawaiian well enough yet). Maybe you can go ask Mokihana (send her a PM) on da Ohanalanai. She's our Hawaiian language expert over there.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; September 19, 2004, 05:57 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

In the winter time, what is the latest time that the sun sets??
              Try looking here.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                Try looking here.
                Ha! Glen, if no one else had suggested something, I was gonna look for an almanac.

Oops! Forgot! Congratulations and best wishes to the two of you!
                Last edited by Linkmeister; September 19, 2004, 08:50 PM. Reason: Forgot the important stuffs
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Congrats again, WERUreo, and good luck. No matter what you decide, what matters is that you're in love, and getting hitched.

I have to say, if you're looking at winter and at a workday, you're going to have a lot of challenges making sure your guests can be at your venue before sunset. After all, the Pearl Country Club - while a nice venue - is smack dab in the middle of Aiea... pretty much an area of gridlock between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. And Ko Olina? Any guests leaving town at pau hana 5 p.m. will be strolling in well after dark.

Waikiki might be a better bet, but then your challenge is parking, and of course the general local aversion to Waikiki!

I'd say have your ceremony anywhere you want, with a nice sunset, and invite everyone to the evening reception, wherever you want it to be. A wedding day is stressful enough without worrying about weather and timing and traffic... but everyone likes to leave work for a good party!

Comment

Mahalo, Glen, for the link, and everyone else for the best wishes. I knew our wedding would be humbug considering the time of year and the fact that we started planning so late. Bad timing all around. But, we won't let it get us down.

Even if only a few of the guests we invite can make it to the ceremony, that would be fine with us. We knew it would be hard to have a wedding in the middle of the week, but our only other option would be to have it like Christmas weekend. I don't know, maybe that would have worked out better... In any case, we are pretty set on the 22nd, so we can only hope for the best.

Again, mahalo everyone for the help and the best wishes. I'm thankful that I have a resource such as HawaiiThreads.com to help with information I wouldn't be able to get on my own being so far away.
                    Free iPod
                    Free Flatscreen

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Something in Hawaiian would be soooo cool since you're getting married in Hawaii (but don't ask me, I don't know Hawaiian well enough yet). Maybe you can go ask Mokihana (send her a PM) on da Ohanalanai. She's our Hawaiian language expert over there.

Miulang
                      UPDATE: Our wedding rings are in! We still not sure what we want engraved. But, I definitely want something in Hawaiian. I posed this question over at the Lanai, but just in case we have people here that don't go there or didn't see the thread, maybe you guys can help. I was thinking that it won't be something really long, just cause we have to fit it on these little rings. I was looking online for ideas of things people engrave on wedding rings, and it can be something even just translated into Hawaiian.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them here. I will let everyone know what we end up with!

P.S. I better shoot Mokihana one PM. I already get Mamo a Hina thinking of something for me...
                      Free iPod
                      Free Flatscreen

Comment

Congratulations and good luck to you both!

Comment

aloha me ke akua for your rings

Comment

Working...
                          X