Flowers Over Which Ear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers Over Which Ear?

As I, along with the rest of the Aloha state, cheered our beloved Camille and Jasmine through American Idol, it prompts this thread. Jasmine's "flower in her hair" was a distinguishing trademark. Recently, I have observed many women in public, wearing a flower in their hair, on one side of a particular ear. I was told that, if a women wears a flower over her right ear, she is single and available(no boyfriend). If she has the flower over the left ear, she is taken.
    Yet, I have been to social functions on several occasions in Hawaii, and have seen local women who are definately married, in fact their spouse is with them, yet they are wearing a flower in their right ear?!!
    So what' s up with women who wear flowers over their ear? Does it mean something to different people? (Specifically for the women, is wearing a flower over your hair similar to wearing an engagement ring to show wheter you are available or not?)
    Just Curious, let me know.

Re: Thinking of Jasmine T

From a Honolulu Advertiser piece reporting on rumors of a romance:

Are Jasmine Trias, 17, and John Stevens, 16, an "American Idol" "item"?

The supermarket tabloid, Examiner, reports the teen singers (the paper mistakenly lists her age as 19) have a romance in bloom, citing an unnamed show source... The paper explains Trias' flower placement (right ear, single; left ear, taken) but juxtaposes the meaning in the article. She is pictured with Stevens in the publication — with flower over right ear. So is she taken or not?
    I can see why a single woman would want to signal falsely that she's taken, but I have no idea about the reverse. Although, I think, a flower in the right ear is the most commonly depicted, and aesthetically just might seem more attractive -- mixed signals or not.

Comment

i was thinking you mean Jasmine Tea hehehe, MMMMmmm yum!

Comment

Maybe when you're in a hurry and you are right handed--it's easier to put the flower on the right side?

Comment

I grew up with flowers blooming in the garden. It became a habit to just pick a beautiful flower and put it in my hair. On what side I put it didn't matter to me, but since I'm right handed I usually wear it on the right. I don't think a lot of people pay attention to that.

Comment

^ Ditto on that. Most people probably don't even know about this anymore. I hear it goes further- how true it is, I am not sure. But that is if the woman wears the flower in her hair- then she's a widow.

Comment

Originally posted by hikiee
              ^ Ditto on that. Most people probably don't even know about this anymore. I hear it goes further- how true it is, I am not sure. But that is if the woman wears the flower in her hair- then she's a widow.
              Great insights on the topic. I have talked to others and they concur with all of you about the flower in the hair. That the flower is worn in the hair without any notion of indicating marital status-single or available. I guess one has to put any preconceived notions aside, when meeting people and get to know people for who they are!!

Comment

Working...
              X