Aloha from Philadelphia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Philadelphia!

Aloha from Philadelphia, PA! I'm a newbie here on hawaiithreads.com -- not a newbie to Hawai'i though. Two weeks ago I was there, enjoying what I believe is now my 16th time visiting (not counting the layovers from when I moved here from Australia when I was a keiki).

I'm a regular poster on hawaii.com boards (no vbulletin there! ) and love to talk story about the islands, travel, music, culture, etc.

Of course, a dream of mine is to one day live there -- or at least live on the West Coast so I can be closer (that's just the realist in me speaking!) But for now, I consider myself very lucky that I can visit about once a year.

I typically go to Oahu, but have been to Maui, Kauai, Hawaii. Have friends all over the island of Oahu. So it's nice to see them when I visit.

That's it for now -- I'm still reading posts and figuring this site out!

Aloha 'til later!
    ~Aloha! Christina~
    Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Re: Aloha from Philadelphia!

hi I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Comment

Welcome, Lanikaibabe! Now that you've found us, I hope we'll see you 'round the neighborhood often. Until you can make a home here, it sure sounds like you're fortunate enough to visit fairly often! What's your tie to Lanikai?

I didn't even know Gannett's portal had message boards... interesting, since they also run the Honolulu Advertiser forums (which are considerably more active). HawaiiThreads.com is relatively new, but I think you'll find us a friendly and talkative bunch.

Comment

Philadelphia from Australia with sixteen trips to Hawaii? You've GOT to tell us more of this story! How'd you end up in Philly? Provolone or Cheez-Wiz on your steak sandwiches? And is Donovan McNabb going to finally win a playoff game this year?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey everyone!

Mahalo for the welcomes!

I know, I tend to confuse people.

I guess I didn't add in the mix that I'm a Greek-Australian-American that loves Hawaii. (And still has an affection for Vegemite).

The Reader's Digest version of my story:

My parents were born in Greece, mom immigrated to Australia with her family first; dad joined later on -- engaged, got married, me born in the ahem 60's.... Grandmom's husband immigrated to the US to be with his dying brother to help take over -- what else, but a restaurant (use Greeks are well known for 'em lol) ... Grandmom hated the two continental lifestyle... we all moved to the mainland (our "port of entry" was Honolulu!) in 1974 when I was 8.

Mom and I made a visit in '73 and even then at an impressionable age of 7 -- I remember the Honolulu airport and thinking "wow, does all of America look like this?" hehehe. I still have a pin that my grandmother bought at the airport of a palm tree with some coral in it. Well, then I came to PA and then winter came and that answered that rhetorical question with a snowball. But I always wanted to go back to Hawaii. In 1987, the dream came true -- when my whole family 'cept my dad made it to Hawaii. I haven't looked back since.

My connection to Lanikai? LOVE it! I'm a huge fan of the islands, all of them highly unique in their qualities and beauty. My affection is for the island of Oahu and particularly for Lanikai beach. My nickname... Lanikaibabe -- is actually a parody on words if you will... I love Maui Babe Browning lotion... so one day while trying to think of a nick for another DB I'm on... I came up with it... Lanikai Babe... Lanikaibabe.

Philly -- cool city; lots of history and ... well.... let the arteries explode... I do love gooey cheese wizzzzzzzzzz on the cheesesteaks. But the best Cheesesteak I've tasted is actually (shhhh) from New Jersey!

16 trips -- and no, I don't stay with any of my extended Ohana when I do so.

McNabb -- it's a sacrilidge to talk about the Eagles in my household since Dad is strictly a Cowboys fan. But let's hope so, this city needs a championship sometime in my adult life. I mean, even Smarty Jones couldn't bring it home for us at the Belmont.

Aloha til later!
          ~Aloha! Christina~
          Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanikaibabe
            Aloha from Philadelphia, PA! I'm a newbie here on hawaiithreads.com -- not a newbie to Hawai'i though. Two weeks ago I was there, enjoying what I believe is now my 16th time visiting (not counting the layovers from when I moved here from Australia when I was a keiki).

I'm a regular poster on hawaii.com boards (no vbulletin there! ) and love to talk story about the islands, travel, music, culture, etc.

Of course, a dream of mine is to one day live there -- or at least live on the West Coast so I can be closer (that's just the realist in me speaking!) But for now, I consider myself very lucky that I can visit about once a year.

I typically go to Oahu, but have been to Maui, Kauai, Hawaii. Have friends all over the island of Oahu. So it's nice to see them when I visit.

That's it for now -- I'm still reading posts and figuring this site out!

Aloha 'til later!
            I should say aloha from York, Maine!

Christina, it's so nice to see you posting on all these Hawaiian music websites and other Hawaii-related sites.

I have visited Maui once, more specifically Kapalua, and I want to go back. Maybe in the future sometime.

Would love to talk about Hawaiian music and other stuff with you directly. Please e-mail me at akrauth@maine.rr.com or kealiilover@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you soon. Keep up the posts.

Me ko'u aloha,
            Alex
            'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Lanikaibabe
              Hey everyone!

Mahalo for the welcomes!

Philly -- cool city; lots of history and ... well.... let the arteries explode... I do love gooey cheese wizzzzzzzzzz on the cheesesteaks. But the best Cheesesteak I've tasted is actually (shhhh) from New Jersey!

16 trips -- and no, I don't stay with any of my extended Ohana when I do so.

McNabb -- it's a sacrilidge to talk about the Eagles in my household since Dad is strictly a Cowboys fan. But let's hope so, this city needs a championship sometime in my adult life. I mean, even Smarty Jones couldn't bring it home for us at the Belmont.

Aloha til later!
              Hey Lanikaibabe:

I'm a South Jersey girl from way back and I would have to agree, the best Philly Cheesesteaks are in South Jersey!!! I'm going back to celebrate my 30th high school reunion, went to Holy Cross (class of 76) in Delran, NJ, and am taking my husband and two daughters with us!

Speaking of Donovan McNabb: My brother married his sweetie at her parents home, or should I say estate? It is quite the stunning property in Moorestown...and they sold it to McNabb a few years ago. Now he's a CUZ!!! Just joking! He's just the most intellectual QB in all of pro football!

Thanks for the memories...and the sudden urge to fry up a cheesesteak for the family!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I'm no cheesesteak connoisseur ... but I am picky (that means something, right?)

I like the cheesesteaks at Brent's in Kailua, hated the cheese-wiz one I had at another Kailua eatery (ugh!) ... but the ones I remember most fondly, with ooey-gooey real cheese, (not cheez wiz), were served at the Beck Middle School cafeteria in Cherry Hill, NJ ... which I attended for most of 7th and all of 8th grade.

One day I'll have to try the cheesesteak place downtown.
                Last edited by Erika Engle; May 30, 2006, 01:27 PM. Reason: spacing fronting the italics
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

i always thought the best cheesteaks was at Geno's in Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                    i always thought the best cheesteaks was at Geno's in Philly.

Nope. But darlin' if they wanna send all the tourists to Philly's South Street for a gee-whiz cheezesteak, who are we to stop 'em? Like we say in Joisey, More for ME!

And I plan on saying that at least once when I go back next month! And Erika, we'll have to compare notes. I grew up in Delran (Holy Cross class of 76). My sister is now raising her family in Cherry Hill. Maybe I'll have you over to my office for a plate of shrimp!

@
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

He mai! Mai! Mai!
                      (Come hither! Come! Come!)

E kala mai! I kept forgetting to give you a heahea until now.
                      'Alika

Comment

Hey neighbor. Glad to see another east coaster on here. I'm an hr and a half north of ya in Easton, PA. Envious that you've been to Hawaii so many times lol. But I'll do my best to catch up hehe. My next trip is coming soon. Jan 19th. Can't wait!!

This site is great. Lots of interesting topics and convos going on all the time. Welcome home

BTW...I'm sure it's been discussed in the sports forum but Donovan Mcnabb is out the rest of the season with a torn acl.

Go Flyers! Even though they are the Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde of the NHL this year.
                        -kp!

Comment

Aloha Christina! Good to see you here too!
                          Lovena

Comment

Im 1/4 greek!!
                            way cool

E komo Mai!

Comment

Working...
                            X