Warrior Theme Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Theme Music

So, Mike Post (for whom I have a tremendous amount of respect) writes some tunes for the UH football team. Mike Post of Magnum P.I. theme-song fame.

I download the songs and have yet to be moved. Most are sad 15-second swill, with no real emotion. I would have expected better. Hell, the intro to the movies at Consolidated move me more.

I'm wondering why canned music is being chosen over good ol' band marches. This is, after all, college football. You know, 'rah rah rah,' and all that.

Why fool with 'Hawaii 5-0?' (he writes, not trying to sound like Joe Moore).

And, as a field photog, can we get those retarded shotguns elevated off the floor? Everytime UH scores, those shotguns scare the living crap out of me and every other photog within close range (and we're wearing ear plugs). Put 'em up by the flags on the upper deck.

Re: Warrior Theme Music

I've just heard snippets, so I'll reserve judgment. The story in the Advertiser mentioned that it took him 5 months to write these (off and on, presumably) and only 30 minutes to write Hill Street, which astonished me. I thought that was one of the best TV themes of the past 30 years (and the show was great, too).
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

They posted the six clips in MP3 format at the UH Athletics website:

1. Warrior Strut (during players' entrance to the field)
      2. Starting Line-Up (during player introductions)
      3. Call & Answer (between plays and during timeouts)
      4. Eo Eo (between plays and during timeouts)
      5. Celebration (following touchdowns & field goals)
      6. Conch Shell (prior to kickoff)
      I have to admit, I missed the whole flap as it unfolded, catching up only with the Star-Bulletin article yesterday. Without a care for who's right, I see it more as an exercise in physics: what happens when two, large, bloated and overinflated masses collide.

As for the music itself? I'm not exactly fired up, but then again, I'm at my desk and not in a stadium full of fans. On their own, the pieces are fairly conventional "sports tension" background music, but considering the creator and the spirit in which they were offered, I'd say give 'em a chance.

the "Hawaiian touch" are the vocals, I guess, but to me they're also what makes them a bit cheesy. Yet... that's what football chants are, right? Depending on the fans (and the level of intoxication) in the stands, I can easily see "Call & Answer" and "Celebration" getting some chest-thumping going.

Notes the UH Athletics press release: In addition to the musical tracks, a general slogan will also be introduced: "Eo Na Toa E," meaning, "We are the Warriors," in literal terms. The phrase was used before battle in ancient Hawai`i calling for a response from their enemies. The team will use the slogan to call opponents out to battle and, according Young, offer the challenge, "This is battle...you must respond."

Who knows, it just might freak the opposing team out just enough...

I'm wondering why canned music is being chosen over good ol' band marches.
      Sounds to me like both are going to play a part. And I can easily see some of the drum routines and basic melodies of the Mike Post pieces being enhanced by, if not at some point entirely carried, by the live band.
      Last edited by pzarquon; August 28, 2004, 08:27 AM.

Comment

>>>As for the music itself? I'm not exactly fired up, but then again, I'm at my desk and not in a stadium full of fans. On their own, the pieces are fairly conventional "sports tension" background music, but considering the creator and the spirit in which they were offered, I'd say give 'em a chance.

I shoot all the UH games, and I've tried visualizing (audiolizing??) the music at the stadium. I can't see it really doing anything. It's slow and moody, not really something that'll fire people up. Of course who knows what'll happen come the 4th. Will the opponents be wetting their pants, or wondering why there's mood music being played?

>>>Depending on the fans (and the level of intoxication) in the stands, I can easily see "Call & Answer" and "Celebration" getting some chest-thumping going.

Given the level of intoxication usually flowing at that place I'd say that nobody's going to be able to even pronounce half the stuff. They'll all be mumbling like winos.

>>>Sounds to me like both are going to play a part. And I can easily see some of the drum routines and basic melodies of the Mike Post pieces being enhanced by, if not at some point entirely carried, by the live band.

Hmmm... not sure on this one. The UH Drumline rocks as it is. I dunno if using cliched 'polynesian' riffs are gonna do it.

Who knows what's going to happen... I suppose I just prefer live music (especially band music) over canned swill.

Saturday should be interesting to say the least.

Comment

Whoah, you know what would be really cool to have in there

E Kupono Me Ke Aloha

that would just be too cool.
          Last edited by KaipuaGurl; September 1, 2004, 09:51 AM.

Comment

What the heck could a patriotic anthem penned by Mike Gabbard have to do with a UH Warriors game?

Comment

actually it was written by a 'hawaiian' hello, haole punk. Leon Siu.

and it is a song about standing up, having the courage to fight. I thaught it would be good for our warrior theme music, because it represents aloha and kupono, somthing that you obviously know nothing about.

Aloha,

Comment

Hmm. "Haole punk" and and a claim of knowledge of "aloha and kupono" in the same post.

I asked a question - I downloaded the song, and while it was surely pretty, I just didn't see how it would fit in the considerably less serious context of a football game - and appreciate the answer... hostile as it was. The lyrics and overall meaning is very Warrior like, perhaps, but as Dick noted:
                This is, after all, college football. You know, 'rah rah rah,' and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Hmm. "Haole punk" and and a claim of knowledge of "aloha and kupono" in the same post.

I asked a question - I downloaded the song, and while it was surely pretty, I just didn't see how it would fit in the considerably less serious context of a football game - and appreciate the answer... hostile as it was. The lyrics and overall meaning is very Warrior like, perhaps, but as Dick noted:
                  I take the Warriors games really seriously though I have been told maybe a little too seriously

sorry about the haole comment I did make sure that you went really a caucasian before I said it. It is just a term that some of us have started using.

Comment

pzarquon -- you fricken' haole...

... don't even get me started...

Comment

Eh, wot, Dick, bodda you? Like beef? (Hey I love beef!)

Um, KaipuaGurl, you know what they say about assumptions. However you verified my haole status, I suggest you look just a little harder. (My personal website is linked in my profile, after all.) 'Cause I'm not haole. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

You're not the first to guess wrong, at least. I might ramble on like a Punahou grad, or some generic geek from Seattle, but in reality I'm just a local boy, born and raised... public school, UH (journalism and Hawaiian language), working for a small local company... Japanese father (whose family was put in internment camps after Pearl Harbor), Chinese-Hawaiian mother (with roots in Kapa`au on the Big Island, birthplace of Kamehameha)... your basic spam eating, bon dancing, Hilo loving island dork.

Not that I wanted to make this about me. (It could rekindle interest in the "What Makes You Local?" thread, though.) My point is, we've clearly gotten off on the wrong foot, and part of the problem is, we need to get to know each other a little better before we decide we want to strangle each other.

Back to the topic...

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Warriors, at least. I'm beginning to agree with Dick that the school band is really the best "color" to have, and the only music you should need, in the stands.

Anyone catch Joe Moore's extended commentary last night? He (and probably June Jones) are going to milk this little catfight for all it's worth. The music thing just got Joe on a roll, and now it's putting the Rainbow back into the Warriors.

Comment

I knew it!!! No local person calls Nori or Ogo as Seaweed! Das okay pzarquon, you one okay Haole. Get some local folks who probably should leave the islands more than our white brothers and sisters, you know no class for the Aina.

Did anyone see my Advertiser editorial this morning on Joe Moore? I didn't think the Advertiser would select that one but then again after last night with Joe Moore, well I guess it was timely.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Das okay pzarquon, you one okay Haole.
                          My wife calls me an honorary haole... but only because she wants the converse credentials as an honorary Asian.

Did anyone see my Advertiser editorial this morning on Joe Moore? I didn't think the Advertiser would select that one but then again after last night with Joe Moore, well I guess it was timely.
                          You mean the Star-Bulletin? Found your Moore views here:
                          I think Moore should keep his comments to himself and just report the news. Maybe KHON should create a local TV talk show called "Late Night with Joe Moore." I think his opinions will be better served in that venue than at the end of a once-respected newscast. KHON should place a disclaimer before Joe gives his opinion to the general public.

Comment

Thanks it was the SB. And here's the whole editorial!

Newscaster falls flat on his arias
                            So Joe Moore calls "Hawaii Five-0" Polynesian? Since when did The Ventures become Polynesian? I think Moore should keep his comments to himself and just report the news ("Warrior fight songs have Jones and Moore fired up" Star-Bulletin, Aug. 27).
                            Maybe KHON should create a local TV talk show called "Late Night with Joe Moore." I think his opinions will be better served in that venue than at the end of a once-respected newscast. KHON should place a disclaimer before Joe gives his opinion to the general public.

I'd watch "Late Night with Joe Moore" over David Letterman (on CBS) only because the criticism Letterman has over New York can be displaced with Joe Moore's remarks about our beloved state and city governments. Can you imagine Moore's nightly Top Ten lists?
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Did you see Joe Moore's letter in the Star Bulletin?

Third letter down.

Comment

Working...
                              X