Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone knows if Dumpster Diving is illegal here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows if Dumpster Diving is illegal here?

A lot of people do it on the mainland and Canada.

They found some good stuff, including computer related components (sometimes the whole computer, some drives, etc) and other goodies.

I've been reading a lot in the above thread, and I want to know if anyone knows if this is illegal here. If not, care to join me?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Anyone knows if Dumpster Diving is illegal here?

I don't know, but as a subscriber to a classic Macintosh mail list, I have read anecdotes about people finding complete old Macintoshes in dumpsters and recovering them. Of course all on the mainland.

The thing about dumpster diving is that you subject yourself to all sorts of potential nasties including rotting food, foul odors, sharp metal and glass objects, vermin of all types, property owners, and much more. Today theives go through dumpsters looking for receipts, old bills and anything else that may include a hint of a person's or business's identity.

The worst thing to just simply toss in a dumpster is anything that has your social security number printed on it and anything that has your credit card numbers printed on it.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      I don't know, but as a subscriber to a classic Macintosh mail list, I have read anecdotes about people finding complete old Macintoshes in dumpsters and recovering them. Of course all on the mainland.
      Up here, I don't think dumpster diving per se is illegal, although dumping old CRTs from computers and TV monitors is (something about the lead in them polluting the landfill...yeah...as if that's the only thing that's hazardous in those dumps). You have to pay somebody to take those off your hands because places like the Salvation Army or Goodwill won't take 'em even if you tell them they're working perfectly.

But in general, I think dumpster diving is probably only illegal in 2 instances: 1) if you get caught doing it, and
      2) if you're homeless and look really shabby and groady. Then they toss you in the calaboose for vagrancy.

Or, in the case of Erich Rudolph, the Atlanta Olympic Game bomber who wasn't caught until late last year when a jr. police officer caught him dumpster diving behind a supermarket in Murphy, NC (I actually saw the dumpster he was caught in) because the officer didn't know who he was!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'll walk to Waikele Shopping Center sometime this week to see if the bins are "accessible".

And I've been throwing away rubbish with my dad for a while, so I climbed into one or two C&C rubbish bins, and I can handle the smell and other things.

Comment

This is actually an excellent question, and one I'm embarassed to not know the answer to, since at one point I did aspire to work in one of the few professions (outside of law enforcement and urban nomads) where digging through the trash was one of the most important tools of the trade: journalism.

Trash is an interesting thing, from a legal standpoint. Is it private property until it leaves your curb, or is it anything goes the minute it's out of your house? There are actual Supreme Court cases about rights over trash (California v. Greenwood in 1988) when it comes to "search and seizure" by cops... but as to whether and when one private citizen can take something from another citizen's garbage, I think it differs from state to state.

Of course, wheregarbage is put out is a big part of the hairsplitting. If you put a trash bag on a curb -- a public right of way -- more than likely you've given up control of it. However, if your trash is put outside but still on private property (say in a trash room in a high-rise, where refuse workers drive in to collect it) it's something else.

Thus, the dumpster at Circuit City might not be fair game, since chances are it's still on Circuit City's private property (behind the store, in a loading dock, etc.).

Anyone know anyone at the city prosecutor's office?

Comment

I just received call from my Police Officer friend, and he said that its illegal and will bring you fines and/or possible jail time if you're caught. But with anything, if you don't get caught, then its fair game.

Comment

sheesh! Illegal OR legal.
              who would WANT to?!

jess go out wit yo pickup and tool around Hawaii Kai a day or a few days B4 big kine trash pick up.
              some dude I heard of makes his living doing that and sells da crap at da swap meet.
              All kine good stuff you wouldnt believe steh rotting rusting rained on on top da sidewalk. grab it while ya can. I have seen toooooo much good stuff out deah to not mention this since ya brought it up!

Comment

Some neigborhoods up here have their own town dump that residents bring their trash to. I know of one where there is a large shed so folks can leave their "stuffs" there! I've seen furniture, dishes, large and small kitchen appliances etc all in good condition left there for the picking.
                Lovena

Comment

According to HPD, its illegal, but like everything, it's okay if you don't get caught.

Comment

If you want to find LOTS of computer equipment, just cruise around the UH-Manoa campus. There are stacks of the stuff behind Spalding Hall right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                      If you want to find LOTS of computer equipment, just cruise around the UH-Manoa campus. There are stacks of the stuff behind Spalding Hall right now.
                      yea and the day everyone hasta move out at the ends of the semesters, TOOOONS of good furnishing and such are piled up freeeeee for the taking!

Comment

Can anyone bring some my way?

I take the bus, so those things won't fit on the seat.

And my parents are too busy to drive to Manoa.

Comment

Here in Kea'au we have no refuse pick up so we have to go to the Hilo landfill or more conveniently, the Kea'au transfer station. At that station there is an ongoing recycling campaign. Quite a few people drop off stuff that they would rather not sell at a garage sale but is too good to toss out. Here you can find old computer equipment, TV sets, stereos, household appliances, clothes, books whatever. It's all free you just have to sign in and weigh what you are taking. This weight is then tabulated and displayed as recycled tonnage saved from the landfills. I've dropped off computer monitors that work simply because I'm too lazy to get the focus readjusted on the flyback transformer inside.

I'm really surprized there aren't recycling centers in Honolulu where people can simply drop off their unwanted items.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There are transfer stations and drop-off convenience centers here on O'ahu, too. But most folks either don't know about them or don't bother going there.
                            Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 9, 2004, 03:58 PM. Reason: Added a URL

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                              Can anyone bring some my way?

I take the bus, so those things won't fit on the seat.

And my parents are too busy to drive to Manoa.
                              '

'da hell are YOU smokin there?
                              and why doncha share some with the rest o da class?!

Comment

Working...
                              X