X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart: Chapter 2

Here's another bone for you guys to pick:

WalMart may build a new store in Kapolei.

From this morning's Advertiser article:

The world's largest retailer is part of one of several competing plans to develop a commercial complex on 25 acres across from Kapolei Shopping Center next to H-1 Freeway.
    Go for it girls and guys. More reasons to shoot down one of America's great success stories.
    A Good Thing.
    50.00%
    A Bad Thing.
    50.00%
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 2

Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart everywhere! Thanks for the update, Mel. Let's pick up the colorful debate on a fresh page here in "Chapter 2."

Comment

Kapolei has plenty of room, and the population there is growing a lot, bring on the Walmart! the bottom line about Walmart is they are good for the consumer. This is one of, if not THE most expensive state to live in, and Walmart can sell some things even cheaper than our military exchange system, so why would anyone oppose a Walmart Kapolei?
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Why don't we just do a poll like the Mountain Dew and the Mayoral race? Who likes Wal-Mart and who doesn't.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Wal-Mart Poll

Ask and you shall receive.

Comment

Hold your horses Big KMart has evidently has competition related covenants
            that may restrict where or when a Wal-Mart could open in Kapolei
            according to the Honolulu Advertiser.

Secondly I don't see Wal-Mart an American sucess story.
            Especially when its sucess shouldered on their mistreated
            employees.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm going to hold off answering the poll since the Wal-Mart closes to me isn't open yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                Secondly I don't see Wal-Mart an American sucess story.
                Especially when its sucess shouldered on their mistreated
                employees.
                Geeesh.. can we bring up something new to hate about WalMart. We are only repeating what was said in the old thread. Next thing you know we're at 230 posts again.

I love WalMart and it is good for consumers. As I mentioned before, no one is forcing anyone to shop at WalMart. If you all hate WalMart that much, never go there. It is that simple.

A retailer's success is ultimately measured into how many consumers want to empty their wallets there.

No consumers, no wallets = no money. You choose. Shop or drop.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, you obvious do not care about anyone besides yourself
                  it appears..no offense. Workers have rights too, but your
                  conservative republican capitalistic ideals blind you.
                  As long as you can get your toliet paper cheaply that is
                  all that matters.

The only reason why I shop at Wal-Mart is because they have the only
                  decent electronics/computer selection here in Kona. If we had CompUSA
                  here I would not shop at Wal-Mart plain and simple.
                  Last edited by Aaron S; September 3, 2004, 06:19 PM.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

oooh walmart thread resurrected!
                    found dis. seen it yet?

http://www.honoluluweekly.com/cover/detail.php?id=21

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                      The only reason why I shop at Wal-Mart is because they have the only decent electronics/computer selection here in Kona. If we had CompUSA here I would not shop at Wal-Mart plain and simple.
                      Geez Aaron, you're just as bad as the rest of us Capitalist Pigs! If you really hated WalMart you wouldn't shop there PERIOD! But you go because it offers decent electronic and computer selections (I agree there). I shop there (in Hilo) because it offers cheaper prices than KTA! What's the difference? We both shop there and stuff WalMarts pockets with the money we spend there.

Yes WalMart treats their employees like slaves (gross exageration) but wake up man, there are a lot of companies that do as well, including the Mom and Pop stores that WalMart is accused of burying into the ground. Try work at a radio station, to keep you from qualifying for benefits, they limit your work hours to just under 29 per week. Even though you hit your max hours for the week if you still have production work to do, guess what, it's on your own time or take a hike pal.

If you want justice in employment join a union where the rules are black and white. Any other kind non-contractual jobs require you to take the burden when the boss hints at you to do so or face the unemployment line.

But I'm a shopper and not a WalMart employee. My problem is making my dollar stretch as far as it can go, and the solution is in fact WalMart. Your problem is not being able to find decent electronics or computer items in Kona. You do have options available to you yet you said it yourself, "The only reason why I shop at Wal-Mart is because they have the only decent electronics/computer selection here in Kona. If we had CompUSA here I would not shop at Wal-Mart plain and simple."

Well guess what there's always mail order or a ticket to Honolulu for shopping. It seems you choose convience over employee plight too. Just like Mel, me and everyone else who shops at WalMart including WalMart employees. Yes they shop there too.

By the way have you researched the way CompUSA treats their employees?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        By the way have you researched the way CompUSA treats their employees?

what!?
                        THEY have "employees"?!
                        erry time i go in there and attempt to try to think of maybe start to get a lil help, some assistance... NO ONE is around. Then IF.. you have an actual live person come by to assist you, and provided you haven't fallen over in a dead faint from shock and surprise, this person now, tells you something completely wrong or nothing at all. Either they no nothing and fake it with a fabrication of they know nuthing and tellya so.
                        they are universally known as having the worst service.

Comment

And Aaron's complaining about the poor employees? Since, if bargains are what WalMart is all about then hunting for them makes it greater!

Actually I go to WalMart so often to just to piss people off so much I kinda know where everything is already.

One thing Aaron said is true however. WalMart does stock their electronics and computer items better than anything here on the Big Island. And I truly wish CompUSA and Circuit City come to the Big Island, man we're so technology deprived here. I was so used to going to CompUSA minutes before closing to pick up a USB cable.

Whoops sorry I thought you were talking about Walmart employees. Yeah CompUSA employees are kinda in the dark however there was this one young Japanese salesperson who really knew what there was to know about printers. I was amazed at her knowledge. But try go to a CompUSA will call. They treat you like crap. No customer service skills whatsoever. They know you will wait to pick up your item you already paid for so no smile for you!
                          Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 8, 2004, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Granted, WalMart-in-Hawai'i is a totally different issue than WalMart-in-Louisiana, but I think there's a couple things about our WalMart situation here that may duplicate there.

If we didn't have WalMart here in Lafayette, a lot of us paycheck-to-paycheck'rs with big families wouldn't fare as well. We shop there because it's affordable, and they have a big enough selection that--even though we're relatively broke, we still have the power of consumer choice.

On the downside, it seems everybody else around here feels the same way about WalMart, so traffic and overcrowded parking lot, aisles, and checkout is a HUGE problem. Customer service is not necessarily readily available, but when they are there, they're usually courteous and kind (I think that may vary from region to region, too).

No matter where WalMart is, they're going to become something of a retail king. I think any time a company has consumers by the b*lls and knows it, bad things will eventually happen. Look at BlockBuster.

Just my knee-jerk opinion...
                            ~'Ailina

Comment

Sheez, if you don't like Wal-Mart, don't work there, don't shop there.

What is all this fuss???

Comment

Working...
                              X