keeping cats out of vegetable garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping cats out of vegetable garden

Recommendations/ideas for keeping my cats out of the garden? A suggestion was to plant RUE an herb that cats supposedly do not like, but I came home the other night at my cat was in my garden NEXT TO THE RUE.....so that does not work!..

Re: keeping cats out of vegetable garden

From the Cat FAQ at LifeTips:
    Cats don´t like the smell of citrus fruit, so it is an excellent deterrent for gardens and plants. Citrus scented potpourri or cleaners can be another means of keeping cats out of your outdoor garden or indoor plants. Just apply the citrus scented solution to something in the garden; such as a large rock, or around the foundation of your house for flower beds or the pots for indoor plants. Be aware that you will need to re-apply this occasionaly since the scent will wash off with water.

Comment

Wow thanks, I'll try the citrus method

Comment

i'm sorry to say, but that doesn't work either. I have three kinds of citrus trees in my garden, and the cats love to play there.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
          i'm sorry to say, but that doesn't work either. I have three kinds of citrus trees in my garden, and the cats love to play there.
          What cats don't like is the smell of citrus oil (as in, if you peel an orange, put the peel next to the cat's face and watch his/her reaction). We have one cat, Shimai, who when you do this, scrunches his face up in the funniest grimace I have ever seen in my life. The repellent is in the citrus oil itself, I think, and not the mere existence of a citrus tree.

They do have artificial repellents for cats but these are generally made to keep the animals off furniture and kitchen counters.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Much as I love cats, I have to say I think this is a losing battle.

Comment

dog, proximity-activated sprinklers (yes they are available), or do what that farmer did to that scumbag stealing his veggies...shoot em...ummm with a water pistol, yeah a SUPER SOAKER 10K! Lots of water!!! Start a drought and get that cat outta your garden!!!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                What cats don't like is the smell of citrus oil (as in, if you peel an orange, put the peel next to the cat's face and watch his/her reaction). We have one cat, Shimai, who when you do this, scrunches his face up in the funniest grimace I have ever seen in my life. The repellent is in the citrus oil itself, I think, and not the mere existence of a citrus tree.

They do have artificial repellents for cats but these are generally made to keep the animals off furniture and kitchen counters.

Miulang
                does your cat eat cantaloupe?

Ahhaa Craig, poor cat I guess automatic sprinklers would work fine?

Comment

I was reading a novel earlier today where it was mentioned that rue is, indeed, a way to discourage cats from garden areas. Must admit, I'm not quite sure what "rue" is or whether it grows okay in these islands.

Comment

I think Rue is actually a device used to intimidate cats in a very painful way whenever they start munching on your garden goodies...Okay maybe not but I'm sure it would make a great name for a paintball gun.
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 26, 2004, 12:39 PM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Speaking of cats...

For the past year there's been this cat (we assume it's feral) who scratches our sliding screen door, wanting food. So..being animal loving folk, we've been feeding it. "Cat food" is now a staple on our grocery list. The kids have even named him. ("Titus" after a Yu-Gi-Oh character)

Well, lo and behold, during a neighborhood party last month, I asked if anyone has seen this "wild" cat? Turns out, unbeknownst to us all, the entire neighborhood has been feeding him. AND..he's domesticated and belongs to a family up the street. They were wondering why he wasn't eating much.

Oh, and his name is actually "poke".

Comment

Re: Speaking of cats...

Smart cat!! I've had to drive away the cats that hang out in my garden since my bird arrived.

Comment

Feral Cats, Speaking of cats

Originally posted by kamlost
                          Smart cat!! I've had to drive away the cats that hang out in my garden since my bird arrived.
                          Cats are bird killers. We used to have song birds around home, especially in the mornings and evenings, even once in a while at night as well, until abandoned or runaway, now feral cats, together with our own cat seemingly learned to (that is be given the opporitunity to) individually or working in some kind of communion exterminate every feathered creature they can manage to get their claws and teeth into. Once being a home notable for numerous birds, besides chickens, now it is a home notable for its absence of all birds except the most hungry young chickens on very nervous recon missions in search of stray cat food.

Some states have a feral cat plan:
                          Wisconsin residents support a plan to legalize wild cat hunting, according to voting results.

At meetings across the state , residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats should be listed as an unprotected species. If so listed, the cats — including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar — could be hunted.

A total of 6,830 voted yes and 5,201 voted no, according to results released by the Department of Natural Resources.

The prospect of feral cat hunting has more hurdles to clear — and faces the considerable opposition of a number of national animal rights groups. The Humane Society of the United States called the proposal cruel and archaic.

The DNR would have to ask the Legislature to support the change. Lawmakers would have to then pass a bill, and Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle would have to sign it.

"I can assure you that the campaign is undeterred and we will still be working tirelessly to defeat this in whatever form it takes," said Ted O'Donnell, who gathered more than 17,000 signatures in an online petition to oppose the plan.

South Dakota and Minnesota both allow wild cats to be shot. Some estimates indicate 2 million wild cats roam Wisconsin. The state says studies show feral cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds a year.

At some meetings, animal lovers held pictures of cats, clutched stuffed animals and wore whiskers as they denounced the plan.

Few hunters publicly spoke in favor of the plan, first proposed by Mark Smith, a La Crosse firefighter. Smith had faced death threats over the plan.

Even Karen Hale, executive director of the Madison Audubon Society, one of the largest pro-bird groups in the country with 2,500 members, said she voted no. While the cats have reduced the population of birds in the state, she said the question was too controversial.

"The whole issue of possibly hunting them is so controversial and there has been so much misinformation that we really need a lot more discussion on this issue," Hale said. She called for another study looking at the impact of feral cats. RJ Foley ap

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Cats don´t like the smell of citrus fruit, so it is an excellent deterrent for gardens and plants. Citrus scented potpourri or cleaners can be another means of keeping cats out of your outdoor garden or indoor plants. Just apply the citrus scented solution to something in the garden; such as a large rock, or around the foundation of your house for flower beds or the pots for indoor plants. Be aware that you will need to re-apply this occasionaly since the scent will wash off with water.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'll have to disagree with this one. Our house has a Meyer Lemon, a Kafir Lime, a Bhaer (sp?) Lime, a Mexican Lime and an orange tree. We live along a wild-life highway, a ditch that runs from Koko Crater to Koko Kai Marina: feral cats use it all the time. We've had several litters of feral cats born in our yard and decided to keep the last litter, raising them to full adulthood. They are nearly 2 years old. They climb up the orange tree and sleep in the shade of the lime and lemons. My indoor cat does not resist the citrus spray and has shredded our two sofas. I don't know whose cats can resist citrus, but if it's a sweeping belief, mine are definitely the exception.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

http://www.liquidfence.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=23

Turquoise Duck

Comment

Working...
                              X