general queries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general queries...

Why don't we hear pigin so often round da town as much?
    ...ya know, s'funny; the more rare pigin becomes, the more the various words and phrases morph into 'cute" little sayings in evidence only on t shirts and bumper stickas. mostly because pigin is so rare to hear anymore. then it becomes a cliche or slogan.
    strange social phenom..

'sup with that mainland company using a common word;
    "mahalo"
    and calling it their trademark, putting it on t shirts and such!?

Why don't we use Hawaiian words interspersed in our conversation like we usta?

What da hecks up with those ug-a-lee cheap garish christmas ribbons stuck on the sides of lei you see nowadays!?
    what is this; some kinda cruel "queer eye for da local guy" thing they started a few years ago when i wasn't looking?
    when DID that start?
    Why?
    and how can we eradicate it?

What does
    "aikane"
    mean? You use it?
    I was using it now an den an den one oddah bruddah wen tell me; eh, careful; that means "lover of the same sex".
    hoo da em bare assed!
    Upon further research heard it was a term for some ali'i who went ac/dc. it was the word for their same sex "mahu mistress"... no shame talk about it. Thats what the history books tell us.

learn sumpin new erry day eh?
    Last edited by kimo55; September 6, 2004, 12:04 PM.

Re: general queries...

Aikane means "friend", but Hawaiian words can have several shades of meaning. You know, there are friends, and then there are friends.

But Kimo, there are still a lot of Hawaiian words in conversation - I guess it depends on who you're talking to. But there are a lot of new people in Hawai'i these days who know very little Hawaiian, and who often don't learn. And then of course there's the influence of TV and movies, which have practically zero Hawaiian.

As for pidgin, like I said, it depends on who you stay talkin to, brah. I hear the rhythms of Hawaiian pidgin every day at my office, although the words are usually standard English. Outside work, I and my friends and family use pidgin all the time, although probably more haolefied than you'd hear in the country. (We're townies and proud of it.)

Comment

I think there can be an innocent meaning to aikāne (after all, ho`aikāne means just to "befriend"), though it was enlightening to know about its variations. Apparently moe `aikāne means "to commit sodomy." I'll definitely be careful to watch for accidental double entendre when using it!

Heck, people use `ōkole pretty widely, but it doesn't mean precisely what most people think it means. Using `ēlemu (or just lemu) is more accurate and polite, but `ōkole just happens to be the word that captured everyone's imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Heck, people use `?kole pretty widely, but it doesn't mean precisely what most people think it means. Using `?lemu (or just lemu) is more accurate and polite, but `?kole just happens to be the word that captured everyone's imagination.

rite!
        when oke, or okolehao was popular decades ago, this was not a term used in company of kupuna, as they considered it disrespectful and too profane.

Comment

That's ironic because I tend to replace the word "ass" with okole when I want to tell my kids to sit down quietly. Somehow it doesn't sound so crude that way. BTW Kimo55 read my private message to you and my posting on Halloween.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X