Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lingle taking food out of hungry kids' mouths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingle taking food out of hungry kids' mouths?

Wow. Looks like she spent way too much time hanging out with the "compassionate conservatives" at the RNC.

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=2273736

HONOLULU (AP) - Governor Lingle is being urged by social service agencies to release state funds appropriated to help the poor....

The groups are seeking the lifting of restrictions that are holding up the release of close to 25 (m) million dollars.

The money is earmarked for a variety of programs, including those that provide food for the poor and those that help victims of domestic violence.

The state administration says the governor is waiting to hear from the Council on Revenues, which is scheduled to meet Thursday.

KHON news last night showed empty shelves at various area food banks, including Palama Settlement.

Maybe she'll explain to the hungry families that this is all part of a power struggle between her and the Legislature: "Just because you appropriate the money doesn't mean you get to spend it!"

I'm sure that'll make the kids feel a lot better...

Re: Lingle taking food out of hungry kids' mouths?

Believe it or not, the State of Hawaii isn't the only organization that helps feed the impoverished. Thru the State of Hawaii there are Federally funded programs such as HeadStart, WIC and others. Private entities such as United Way, Salvation Army, and even churches help feed the hungry.

And besides Governor Lingle isn't about to release monies until a vital assessment has been made. She did indicate that all state-funded programs are being assessed at this moment to decide which programs will get funded earlier than others.

Yeah we got money now, so what are you going to do with it? The last time we had a surplus and Lingle spent it, she got in trouble with the Democrats. Now the same bunch is telling her, "Hey we got money now, spend it."

If I were Lingle I would be saying, "Yeah Right! I'm no sucker now pal, let me assess who gets what in that order first". She is concerned about hungry kids so don't be surprized if feeding the impoverished is high on her list of spending.

In the meantime if you're so concerned about hungry kids, why don't you go out and feed them yourself? Arrogant statement? No. I felt sorry for the impoverished, I helped by buying Koala Moa chicken fundraiser at a church and donating those cooked birds to a needy organization. There's a multitude of ways you can help the poor and impoverished directly. If you feel so compassionate about the hungry, don't wait for government intervention, go out and make that difference right now! Buy that plate lunch and give it to a homeless person, I do that all the time.

Am I rich, Hell no, but I am compassionate more than I'm hungry, but hey I got enough cash in my wallet to buy a $1 McChicken for myself, heck buy 20 at a buck a piece and share your $20 with the hungry kids. And no being a taxpayer isn't the same as a donation. Paying taxes is your civic duty. Donating is a personal duty to humanity.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hi Ontheleft,

those empty food pantry shelves won't BE emtpy if some of them will ask our local stores to KEEP, PERMANENT bins where you and I can drop food! That is poppycock to blame Lingle. She is trying to be a good steward of OUR tax money, yep, that's yours and mine.

I would love to have a convenient, FULLTIME way and place to donate food, instead of these yearly, or twice yearly food drives. I am sorry but life is so dang busy that I can't promise to drive to a foodbank, yet I WANT to have a place to donate, monthly, weekly, whatever. I bet many feel as I do, in this regard.

Maybe someone can get the ball rolling on the permanent donation bins. do it and watch the foodbanks stay full year round.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I don't like Linda Lingle as our governor and probably won't vote for her reelection. I must say that the news story on KHON the other day really painted an unfair picture. The story was one-sided and even seemed mean spirited. I agree with craigwatanabe and Karen in that we should take personal responsibility in helping out the hungry. It is not Linda Lingle's fault that our legislature keeps a loose budget and then turns around and blames the governor for not being responsible with our tax dollars.

Comment

Permanent donation bins are a good idea.

Comment

Working...
          X