Mauna Loa eruption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauna Loa eruption?

OK, anybody living on the Big Island, what gives with the reports that Maunaloa will be erupting soon? You guys felt any big quakes in Kona or Hilo recently?

The news reports say there are lots of spendy resorts built along the base of Maunaloa now. Is the "eruption" more likely to be like the one at Kilauea, or is Maunaloa going to blow her top?

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 13, 2004, 04:23 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Maunaloa eruption?

Looking at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory's info, the biggest earthquake at Mauna Loa lately has only been about magnitude 3 or so - barely big enough to feel. And when Mauna Loa does blow, it'll probably behave a lot like it did during its 1984 eruption, the one that almost reached Hilo. Unless, of course, it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Looking at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory's info, the biggest earthquake at Mauna Loa lately has only been about magnitude 3 or so - barely big enough to feel. And when Mauna Loa does blow, it'll probably behave a lot like it did during its 1984 eruption, the one that almost reached Hilo. Unless, of course, it doesn't.
      If the strongest one was only about 3, then it's going to be awhile before anything happens at Maunaloa. We get +3 magnitude quakes up here quite often too (we part of the same "Ring of Fire" tectonic plate that Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific Rim is on). The one we had about 3 years ago here was a 6.8 and it did significant damage to the older parts of Seattle (where all the brick buildings were).

And then, of course, about 24 years ago, the top blew off of Mt. St. Helens. It's taken about 20 years before things started slowly growing again amid the volcanic ash. It was a truly eery place to visit.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/maps.html

The above map will help explain what I'm saying.
        Mauna Loa is what I call a triple play threat.
        There has been lava flows that have gone into
        South Kona, Ka'u,Hilo and towards to South Kohala.

The South Kohala flow occured in 1859. The Hilton
        Waikoloa Village and Waikoloa Resorts sit on the
        1859 lava flow from Mauna Loa. The threat area
        goes all the way north to Puako.

The major South Kona flows occured in 1950.
        It cut off the road and destroyed houses. The
        flows made from the summit to the ocean in
        a matter of hours. On top of this there has
        been numerous other flows from mauna Loa
        that have gone through Ka'u and South Kona.
        Hawaiiian Ocean View Estates sits on a bunch
        of Mauna Loa flows.

The flows that have gone towards Hilo, the
        closest they have came was 5.3 miles from
        Kaumana, which is outside of Hilo [The 1984 flow] .
        There was other flows like 1935 and 1942 that
        the military tried to divert the flows using bombs.
        Specifically if you go up to Mauna Kea Observatories,
        you can see the 1935 flow where the lava pooled
        into a big lake by Puu Huluhulu [across from Mauna
        Kea Access Road].

For more information on Big Island Volcanoes I would go here :
        http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/map-mf/mf2401/
        http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/
        http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maunaloa/history/1984.html
        Last edited by Aaron S; September 13, 2004, 05:24 PM.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          And then, of course, about 24 years ago, the top blew off of Mt. St. Helens. It's taken about 20 years before things started slowly growing again amid the volcanic ash. It was a truly eery place to visit.
          Mauna Loa isn't the type of volcano to explode it's top. It might overrun the affected places with lava.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            Mauna Loa isn't the type of volcano to explode it's top. It might overrun the affected places with lava.
            Yeah, I was just reading stuff about Hawaiian volcanoes...you either have pahoehoe or a'a flows. I guess the pahoehoe stuff is the one that's more dangerous because that really flows quickly and wouldn't give people much time to evacuate if a flow did start.

Hopefully people on the Big Island who might be impacted already have planned emergency procedures, although in the case of a fast moving lava flow and if you live on an island, where could you go to avoid being caught up in it? At least up here on the mainland, we have lots of room to run to!

Miulang

Comment

I drove up as far as you were allowed to go towards Mt. St. Helens in 1985. It was indeed eerie and extraordinarily impressive. The massive blowdowns of whole slopes of trees and the new crater walls really give you pause, especially when what you know of volcanoes is based on the Kilauea caldera and vents.

If anyone's interested in the power of volcanoes, I'd recommend Krakatoa, the recent book by Simon Winchester. An estimated 30,000 of the 40,000 deaths it caused were by tidal waves, and the worldwide sky was so red there's a theory (based, as I recall, on Munch's own journals) that it was the background for Munch's The Scream, the theft of which was recently in the news.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: Mauna Loa eruption?

It's anybody's guess when Mauna Loa will go real active.
                HVO scientist in charge George Swanson declines to comment on a date. This associated press story from 13 September 04 is the most current our newroom at KKBG-FM has: "Scientists observing Mauna Loa volcano say earthquake activity beneath the Big Islandsummit has increased in recent months. An eruption isn't imminent. But scientists say the recent seismic activity is an indication that the process is moving in that direction".
                This statement ranon the Hawaii 1st News Minute for the 13th. There have been several magnitude 3.0 tremblors in the past few weeks--some strong enough to be felt in Hilo. I just hope both major volcanoes don't decide to pull a 1984 caper which sent two flows toward Hilo. Keep that canoe handy.......

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Roberts
                  It's anybody's guess when Mauna Loa will go real active.
                  HVO scientist in charge George Swanson declines to comment on a date. This associated press story from 13 September 04 is the most current our newroom at KKBG-FM has: "Scientists observing Mauna Loa volcano say earthquake activity beneath the Big Islandsummit has increased in recent months. An eruption isn't imminent. But scientists say the recent seismic activity is an indication that the process is moving in that direction".
                  This statement ranon the Hawaii 1st News Minute for the 13th. There have been several magnitude 3.0 tremblors in the past few weeks--some strong enough to be felt in Hilo. I just hope both major volcanoes don't decide to pull a 1984 caper which sent two flows toward Hilo. Keep that canoe handy.......
                  Hey Russ:
                  Does Hawaii County have any sort of disaster preparedness plan available if there is a repeat of the 1984 lava flows or are they planning to use the same plans that are in place for tidal waves? Heh. If the flow was moving from inland toward the ocean (as opposed to the tidal wave coming from the ocean inland) I'm not sure running for higher ground is going to cut it in Hilo. I know the entire state does those tsunami warnings, but does Hilo have an evacuation plan in place for lava flows? I think Maui should also be thinking about things like this also, because Haleakala is only dormant, not extinct, and it has been throwing off small magnitude earthquakes too.

Miulang

Comment

http://www.mothernature-hawaii.com/c...i/planning.htm
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Hawaii County and the word prepared shouldn't be used in the same sentence. They use their civil defense messages over the radio to describe an intersection going from two way to four way stop. Can you imagine if Honolulu adopted a message system like that? There would be no normal programming on radio anymore, it would be a constant stream of road alerts with an occasional song or two.

Typically if Mauna Loa erupted, it would be a more casual eruption unlike Mount St. Helens. I was in Idaho when that mountain lost it's top and boy oh boy that was one incredable event to be at when it happened.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Hawaii County and the word prepared shouldn't be used in the same sentence. They use their civil defense messages over the radio to describe an intersection going from two way to four way stop. Can you imagine if Honolulu adopted a message system like that? There would be no normal programming on radio anymore, it would be a constant stream of road alerts with an occasional song or two.

Typically if Mauna Loa erupted, it would be a more casual eruption unlike Mount St. Helens. I was in Idaho when that mountain lost it's top and boy oh boy that was one incredable event to be at when it happened.
                        Good one, Craig! That's what I was trying to get at...citizens in Hawaii County shouldn't be cavalier about preparing for this kind of disaster. More than likely the flow would be of the pahoehoe (fast flowing) type which means they wouldn't have much time to escape. And would most of the citizenry in Hilo even know where to escape to? Not to be an alarmist or anything, but even up here, I am pretty much prepared for a disastrous earthquake or other catastrophy. We have our emergency kits (even supplies for the popokis) and know pretty much what we have to do if the earthquake hits while we're at work v. at home. All our fragile things in showcases are puttied down and most of the large pieces of furniture (including the fish tank) are strapped to the walls.

CD in Hilo should be educating the people about the things they could be doing to prepare for the eventuality (an eruption WILL happen, just noone knows exactly when). Even if it doesn't happen for years, it's still good to be prepared. Look at what happened to Hilo during the tsunamis in the 1940s and the one in the 1960s? How many people died?

If the flows came from both volcanoes and they funneled in the direction of Hilo, where would people go? You've got an ocean at your back and no room to run.

Miulang

Comment

Miulang, I think you have an exaggerated idea of just how fast Hawaiian lava flows move. Believe me, there will be plenty of time for people to get out of the way. It's not at all like Mt. St. Helens if that is what you're worried about. For an example of what really can happen, you should read about what happened to the village of Kalapana in the 1980s when a lava flow from Kīlauea covered the whole place. It took months.

Comment

If a lava flow from Mauna Loa threatens Hilo, there will be time to escape. The best land escape would be to go across the Wailuku river (over the humming bridge) and just stay north of Hilo proper. The Wailuku river (I think) is the dividing line between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa in the lower ends of Hilo. Generally just head north and you'd be okay.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              If a lava flow from Mauna Loa threatens Hilo, there will be time to escape. The best land escape would be to go across the Wailuku river (over the humming bridge) and just stay north of Hilo proper. The Wailuku river (I think) is the dividing line between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa in the lower ends of Hilo. Generally just head north and you'd be okay.
                              And if both volcanos erupted at the same time, would going north still be an option? And do people have emergency kits packed (clothes, some food, etc) so they can at least be reasonably comfortable if they have to evacuate? Can't rely on the Red Cross (or ohana) for everything.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X