iPod & Other Digital Music Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod & Other Digital Music Devices

I am interested in who uses an Apple iPod or another digital music listening device. As most may know, Apple's iPod, despite its high price, is one of the top digital music playing devices on the market. The iPod plays Apple's own AAC formatted tracks as well as standard MP3. The device can also be used as a simple PDA-like device. The iPod seemlessly integrates very well with Apple's iTunes music management, playback, recording and online store software.

Apple is not the only player in the field as other companies such as Rio and Sony have digital players. Firms such as Roxio have their own online digital music stores where you can buy tracks for as little as 99 cents each. Walmart has a digital store that sells tracks for 88 cents each.

I was wondering how many people around here use these devices and online music services. As a Macintosh owner and user, I have seriously considered buying the iPod, but am leary of issues dealing with the battery and the durability of the device.

I would like to know if there are any iPod users out there who have had their iPods prematurely fail on them. Also what about those who own other devices. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using those devices?

What about the online music services? Are they worth the time, cost and hassle? Finally what about those of you who are hangers-on in the free downloading world of digital music? Kazaa? Limewire? Whatevers....
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: iPod & Other Digital Music Devices

Hi Mel! I got my wife a 3G 15GB iPod for our 10th anniversary, and she loves it. It's practically become a borg-like implant. We sprung for the FM transmitter which, while not having the best clarity, makes sharing and bringing your tunes with you even easier. Of course, it's two months old, so we hope not to have any data points on "early failure" for a while.

Otherwise, the iPod is as sturdy, well-built, and as elegent as you might imagine for something coming out of Apple's design house. I haven't handled another MP3 player that felt half as good.

I share your aversion to proprietary power systems, actually. The fact that all the digital cameras I covet today requires special, $70 batteries is part of the reason I never upgraded from my current, rechargable-AA camera. I remember the whole flap over the iPod battery, which was somewhat overblown, but did get Apple to better clarify their policies. Frankly, if my wife's iPod battery goes the way of the dodo, I expect to just use the thing plugged in. (We're not joggers or anything... it's either FireWire AC powered or powered by the auto cigarette lighter.)

I love the iPod, but of course, that's because I love Apple. The seamless integration from the retail level (iTMS) to the PC (iTunes) to the device is great. But the specific file format (DRM AAC) is an issue to be sure. It can play straight MP3s, of course, so they make up 80 percent of what's on my wife's iPod. But when we buy a tune from iTMS, we know we can't do much else with it.

That's not to say we don't like shopping at their online store. It's the only one I use (versus WalMart or any of the other track sellers). My wife wants an iTMS gift certificate for Mother's Day!

The thing is, all the devices use some form of DRM, so none really appeal to me on that level. I know folks who regularly burn DRM tracks to a standard audio CD, just to rip them back to plain MP3.

I've been thinking of getting one of the other leading players for myself, if only to have a comparison (and to save some money). While I know an iPod can very nearly carry an entire CD collection, I wouldn't mind having only 4GB or so (like with the MuVo) for the price. If I want the space, the Zen is selling well. I even know a couple of folks who own Dell's odd entry into the marketplace.

Being such a young corner of the tech world, I figure things will turn upside down soon enough, and Microsoft will own the industry by 2007. But for now, there's a reason iPod's are the far-and-away leader. They're the ones to beat!

Comment

I for one love my 10gb 3rd gen iPod. I bought it last summer as a HS graduation present to myself, and I only had to return it once (got compUSA's 1 yr warranty) because of button problems (I kept it in my lint filled pocket, and it screwed it up). I bought a case later to protect it, and it never failed me once.

The iPod can also be used as an contacts list, notepad, game player, and a calendar (but you can only input data via computer).

I though I'd never sing praise for a Apple product (I've been a pro-Windows computer user for about 10 years), but this is one of the few Apple products I'd continue to upgrade (thinking of getting the next version of iPod when it comes out as a college graduation gift).

With the accessories, you can play your music through any FM radio (boombox, desk radio, or car radio); with the digital camera storage, you can literally turn your iPod into a 10gb photo storage device; and other products are compatible w/ iPod that I can remember off the top of my head.

And if you're interested in downloading music onto the iPod, then it does it seamlessly with iTunes.

As for the durability of the product, it's not that durable, but if you put it in an URL=http://halfkeyboard.com/ipodarmor/index.php]"iPod armor"[/URL], then that thing is virtually indestructable. I dropped it once from getting out of TheBus, and it fell onto the sidewalk, and the music was still going. The armor got scratched up a little, but if it was a "naked" ipod, then it'd be history.

Some of the advantages of having a Hard Drive based player (eg iPod or Creative's "Zen" [or whatever it's called]) is the ability to turn the extra space into an external Hard Drive. Yes, you can carry your files in your music player, and when you connect it to a computer, then it'll read the files like a regular Hard Drive. But, a HD based player sometimes skip when jarred too much. (not good for joggers).

As you may have noticed, I got a lot of info on the iPod, and if you want, you can either PM me, or post the question in this thread.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Thanks for all the information! I've been wanting one for some time now and think that because of the hard year I've been having at work, I want to "treat" myself to something with what I got from the tax return. I had a bunch of questions, but you guys answered them all (such as if you can only use earphones or can you put it through the radio, the PDA thing, if it can hold your whole CD collection, what formats, etc.) Thanks guys! I think the only thing I have left is whether to get the iPod Mini, or the standard one. Although I love the colors you can get with the Mini...if for only $40 more I can get the standard one which will be able to hold 2700 songs more...however, would I need that much more? The Mini has 4GB, which I think you were mentioning, Ryan. Do you think that's sufficient enough than the 10GB of the regular iPod? I don't think I'll use it for file storage (I have a tiny portable HD for that) but in regards to the games & PDA thing, would I need more space? (I'm always the type who thinks I have lots of HD space, just to find out 3 months later, I need even more!) So I'm thinking just go with the standard one...but I so love the colors of the Mini... ahh, decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by malia
          Thanks for all the information! I've been wanting one for some time now and think that because of the hard year I've been having at work, I want to "treat" myself to something with what I got from the tax return. I had a bunch of questions, but you guys answered them all (such as if you can only use earphones or can you put it through the radio, the PDA thing, if it can hold your whole CD collection, what formats, etc.) Thanks guys! I think the only thing I have left is whether to get the iPod Mini, or the standard one. Although I love the colors you can get with the Mini...if for only $40 more I can get the standard one which will be able to hold 2700 songs more...however, would I need that much more? The Mini has 4GB, which I think you were mentioning, Ryan. Do you think that's sufficient enough than the 10GB of the regular iPod? I don't think I'll use it for file storage (I have a tiny portable HD for that) but in regards to the games & PDA thing, would I need more space? (I'm always the type who thinks I have lots of HD space, just to find out 3 months later, I need even more!) So I'm thinking just go with the standard one...but I so love the colors of the Mini... ahh, decisions.
          I'd get the 10gb iPod. The minis are for people who don't want to carry all of their songs w/ them, and want something small.

As for the PDA functions, I heard that they have some limits (only a certain amount of memos, contacts, etc) and it won't take up that much Harddrive space.

Also, you have the option of "customizing" a regular iPod (add in different colored buttons, engraving the back, etc.) and some companies are even colorizing iPods (very expensive, and not worth it IMO).

As I would say, get the "best iPod for your money". If you have the money to blow on a 40gb iPod, then go ahead, but most people will stick to the 10gb ones.

Comment

Hiya! Had to weigh in on the iPod stuffs. I bought a 10gb 1st gen with the mechanical scroll wheel. I loved it!!! But then I filled it up.

So then I bought a 20gb 2nd gen with the touch wheel. That oughtta hold me for a while.

But I do like the original mechanical scroll wheel. It feels better to use, more controlled. But I couldn't live with the lack of space!

I love my iPods. Standard equipment now, with me. I keep all my music on there, plus use the extra space for shuttling files around.

Haven't had problems with battery life. Pretty much as expected. You can get replacement batteries for about $40 now, change um yourself.

As far as iTunes store music, I buy plenty. If I want others to listen, I burn a CD and re-rip to AAC (unprotected).

At work, a bunch of us regularly "share" our playlists over the network (built in....look in your prefs!) and listen to each others' music. I've bought a couple of albums because of being able to sample them from my friends, first.

Aloha,
            Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

You can get replacement batteries for about $40 now, change um yourself.

I've seen those battery changing websites... looks a bit knarly.

The day Apple releases an iPod model that has a user friendly, self-service and easily replaceable battery is the day I buy one of these. Expendables such as batteries should be easy enough for any user to change.... just like a digital camera.
              Last edited by mel; May 24, 2004, 11:13 PM. Reason: shortening post
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here ya go, Mel. Get plenny peechas:

http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodinstall.htm

Doesn't look that bad to me.

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I guess the mini is out...now just gotta decide how much gb I want...if I get the 20 or 40, it comes with the dock, wired remote, and carrying case...but it's so much more than I expected to spend, though! Maybe I should add it to my AppleLoan...Anyway...thanks for all your advice, it's very helpful! Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                    Here ya go, Mel. Get plenny peechas:

http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodinstall.htm

Doesn't look that bad to me.

Blaine
                    If digital cameras were this difficult to replace a battery, I would not buy one. Batteries should be the easiest thing to replace whenever they become weak beyond recharge. Having a battery molded shut in a device is a marketing scheme to get you to buy another iPod rather than simply replacing the battery.

Prying apart a molded electronic device just to replace a battery is not something that I would call user friendly!

Regardless, keep us posted about the longevity of your iPods. Like old Macs these things should last as long as we keep them. I can't imagine tossing a $250 to $500 device out after only 18 to 24 months of use, which is what Apple really wants users to do.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well, a few weeks ago, Apple unveiled the fourth-generation models of its popular iPod players. They seem to hit a great new price point for capacity - $299 for 20GB (instead of 15GB) and $399 for 40GB - plus a reworked "clickwheel" interface, a few new software features, and a slimmer body.

The 15GB third-generation iPod I got for my wife and gushed about above died a horrible death (user error, not device error!), but this upgrade to the line makes it hard to resist jumping into the fray yet again...

Anyone seen 'em in the Apple Store yet? Own one or play with one?

Comment

I still want to hear any reports of battery life in older iPods and what users around here did after the battery in the iPod would not recharge.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          ... what users around here did after the battery in the iPod would not recharge.
                          I just keep my iPod charged everytime I'm at home, and its not in use.

And to increase the battery life, turn off the backlight, EQ and sound check. And don't put that much "extras" (contacts, notes, games, etc).

Comment

Does anyone here use a digital music player that is not an iPod?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've used a few "flash memory" players - ones without hard drives, but instead just 256MB or 512MB of capacity playing off the same chips that are in those USB "thumb drives." I messed with the whole range of Rio players in the store (and now Costco carries them!), and my wife had a Seal player that was small and worked as promised... These are just fine, actually, if you don't mind making your music mixes separately and won't need more than a couple dozen songs around at a time, and are considerably more affordable!

Rio does make a hard-drive player, the $249 20GB Rio Karma, which a lot of folks are calling the best challenger to date to the iPod. But the only other gigabyte-capacity player I've actually handled is the Dell DJ. Comparable capacity, much better price, and reasonably smart hardware and software design.

Of course, Apple now as a 20GB out for $299 (instead of $399), making the Dell's $279 price less tempting.

Comment

Working...
                              X