Clear All

• Fans of Firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Thunderbird 0.8/Firefox 1.0PR Available

How is it?

From what I heard, your extensions don't "follow the new installation" and some people's computers slowed down (I don't know if its the internet surfing or if they have too many spyware).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
      How is it?

From what I heard, your extensions don't "follow the new installation" and some people's computers slowed down (I don't know if its the internet surfing or if they have too many spyware).

I have been running it since yesterday and it works fine.
      I reinstalled all my extensions is probably the best advice.
      A work around to make themes and extensions work in 1.0PR
      is going to about:config, right click on one of enteries,
      select New-> String, Type in app.extensions.version,
      then type in 0.9
      The 1.0PR compatible extensions are listed here :

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/
      http://update.mozilla.org/

These extensions work too :
      http://www.exchangecode.com/spellbound/
      http://jgillick.nettripper.com/ [Extension uninstaller, Tiny URL]
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I haven't installed it yet, but the "live bookmarks" (embedded RSS features) are especially intriguing to me. It's actually a pretty big new feature to roll into a preview release, and apparently not all sites with RSS feeds work (it requires a META tag that's not in all pages with RSS links), but it's one of the reasons I'm a fan. Firefox continues to improve, just when MSIE has been left for dead.

It's had tabbed browsing forever, a feature so simple and useful I can't believe it didn't make it into MSIE in years of development. And now it never will.

There's a concerted campaign to prove that Firefox is a real contender in the browser wars. (Even though some have already proclaimed the battle over, for both camps.) Check out the Spread Firefox site, where they're pushing to have 1 million downloads of Firefox in ten days (two days in, they're up to 500,000 already). They even give you neat buttons you can post on your own websites that'll track how many people click through.

If you haven't tried Firefox, now's as good a time as any!
        Last edited by pzarquon; September 16, 2004, 08:38 AM. Reason: Add the neat button!

Comment

I echo the props for Firefox. I've been using it ever since it was called "Phoenix", and have seen its quality jump leaps and bounds with each release (and also with each confusing name change).

My only problems with it so far is that it's terribly buggy on Mac OSX (especially with some of the most important extensions, such as Tabbrowser Preferences and Mouse Gestures), and it's still outperformed by IE on slower PC's (in my case, a 450 Mhz PII box!).

But otherwise, Firefox rocks. In fact, I am making it the default browser on every computer system that I am called upon to "fix" (invariably because the user was using IE and the absolutely horrifyingly terrible Outlook, and managed to screw up via spyware, virii, etc.)

Just say NO to Internet Explorer!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            I haven't installed it yet, but the "live bookmarks" (embedded RSS features) are especially intriguing to me. It's actually a pretty big new feature to roll into a preview release, and apparently not all sites with RSS feeds work (it requires a META tag that's not in all pages with RSS links), but it's one of the reasons I'm a fan. Firefox continues to improve, just when MSIE has been left for dead.

It's had tabbed browsing forever, a feature so simple and useful I can't believe it didn't make it into MSIE in years of development. And now it never will.

There's a concerted campaign to prove that Firefox is a real contender in the browser wars. (Even though some have already proclaimed the battle over, for both camps.) Check out the Spread Firefox site, where they're pushing to have 1 million downloads of Firefox in ten days (two days in, they're up to 500,000 already). They even give you neat buttons you can post on your own websites that'll track how many people click through.

If you haven't tried Firefox, now's as good a time as any!
            Where can I get it?

I installed FF 1 on my brother's computer (the one I had to reformat) and it had it in there. When I installed it, it imported all of my bookmarks and other things from my previous version (thank god) but I didn't see the "live bookmarks" anywhere.

Comment

Re:Firefox 1.0PR Compliant Extensions

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1037
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                Where can I get it?
                I'm not sure what you mean. When you visit a site that has an RSS feed, you'll see the little "RSS" logo in your status bar. Clicking that will allow you to set a "live bookmark" - which is really just a somewhat gimmicky way of saying, "subscribe to this site's syndication feed." Here's the official explanation.

Note that not all sites with RSS feeds will trigger the "RSS" logo, since Firefox requires said site to also disclose the presense of the feed in its header. Lots of sites, this one included, have RSS feeds, but will need tweaking for Firefox to pick it up automatically. Fortunately, you can always manually create the live bookmark as long as you have the URL to where the feed (usually index.xml/.rdf or something similar).

Comment

http://news.com.com/Planning+to+dump...3-5388755.html
                  Fair and Balanced

Comment

That's why there is a "IE View" extension for Firefox/Mozilla. So when you come across a site that breals in Firefox, you can just rightclick and load the page up in an IE window.

So far, though I havent run into any sites that break Firefox at all.

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
                      So far, though I havent run into any sites that break Firefox at all.

I concur I haven't really run into many sites that break FF.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I concur I haven't really run into many sites that break FF.
                        This site seems to behave differently in 1.0PR than it did in 0.93, weirdly enough. The fully enhanced message editor is available in 0.93, but in 1.0PR, none of the automatic formatting functions (i.e. clicking the "bold" command while text is selected) work... you get the vBulletin code (bracketed command) equivalents.

I'm still researching why.

And while I don't run into many sites that are broken in Firefox, I run into more than a few sites that ridiculously refuse to work for Firefox. That is, you arrive at the site, and you're presented with a message that says, "Sorry, you need MSIE to view this site." Since Firefox would in almost all cases render the content just fine, this kind of built-in bias is especially annoying.

Comment

And while I don't run into many sites that are broken in Firefox, I run into more than a few sites that ridiculously refuse to work for Firefox. That is, you arrive at the site, and you're presented with a message that says, "Sorry, you need MSIE to view this site." Since Firefox would in almost all cases render the content just fine, this kind of built-in bias is especially annoying.
                          You can get around such moronic barricades by using an extension that spoofs your browser's User-Agent string, so that it fools the detection script into thinking your running IE.

Thankfully, I havent encountered many sites that are lame enough to block out specific browsers, so I havent had a need for UA-spoofing for a long time, so I cant recommend a specific extension.

Comment

This site seems to behave differently in 1.0PR than it did in 0.93, weirdly enough. The fully enhanced message editor is available in 0.93, but in 1.0PR, none of the automatic formatting functions (i.e. clicking the "bold" command while text is selected) work... you get the vBulletin code (bracketed command) equivalents.

I'm still researching why.

The only site that I come across that displayed that message, was at the windows update site.

Comment

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ can change the UA string among other things.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X