Local computer repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local computer repair?

I need a place to fix a broken LCD monitor (unfortunately, it's past its warranty period). Does anyone have any recommendations as to decent monitor repair shops on Oahu?

Re: Local computer repair?

I don't know if it's true of monitors, but last time I had a broken TV I determined it would cost more to repair (what with minimum charges just to look at it) than it did to spend $125 to get a new one.

I replaced a standard CRT monitor a while back for about that; I have no clue what a standalone LCD might cost.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

LCD monitor panels are not cheap period and yes it's probably not be cost effective to get one repaired if the panel itself is damaged as you simply cannot repair a broken panel display. You can however repair the electronics but with the prices dropping it isn't worth the cost.

I've spoken to two people who repair both LCD displays and Plasma TV's and they don't like either. In both cases the power supply is the first to go in the cheaper bargain units where the monitor will power up for a while then shut down. Problem: Cheap capacitors. Solution: Keep a good exhaust fan running to keep things ambiently cool. Cheap capacitors tend to dry up with excessive heat. The god caps contain tantelum as an electrolytic compound and have a better tolerance to heat. Capacitors typically are used for timing circuits (LC) or for filtering where their tolerances must be maintained. When they begin to dry up from heat or age, their tolerances change and thus their filtering or timing capacity.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        In both cases the power supply is the first to go in the cheaper bargain units where the monitor will power up for a while then shut down. Problem: Cheap capacitors. Solution: Keep a good exhaust fan running to keep things ambiently cool. Cheap capacitors tend to dry up with excessive heat. The god caps contain tantelum as an electrolytic compound and have a better tolerance to heat. Capacitors typically are used for timing circuits (LC) or for filtering where their tolerances must be maintained. When they begin to dry up from heat or age, their tolerances change and thus their filtering or timing capacity.
        That's exactly the problem I have! The screen powers up OK for about a second, and then goes black. Capacitors, huh? So is that worth fixing? I paid about $400 for this monitor, so I'm not looking forward to having to buy a new one...

Comment

I don't think LCDs can be repaired, or are practical to repair, either. When the LCD on an old Apple Powerbook of mine cracked, the "fix" was to replace the whole computer. Replacing "just the screen" cost just as much as a new laptop.

I somehow just assume they're just as vulnerable in that way as old CRT tubes.

According to this repair vendor, while many LCD problems are fixable, a cracked screen definitely isn't. So I guess it depends on what's wrong.

Comment

What kind of LCD is it?

I don't think its worth it to fix an LCD monitor, and I'd suggest you get a new one.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
              That's exactly the problem I have! The screen powers up OK for about a second, and then goes black. Capacitors, huh? So is that worth fixing? I paid about $400 for this monitor, so I'm not looking forward to having to buy a new one...

Sounds like a voltage regulator problem in your power supply. It may be a zener or breakdown diode as the culprit. Both types of diodes regulate voltage. In the case of a breakdown diode, when the voltage becomes excessive, it shuts or breaks down shutting the circuit. When the temperature or voltage drops, the diode closes and re-establishes circuit flow.

There is a product that many electronic technicians use, it's called a component cooler. This product is basically freon that when sprayed on electronic components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, IC chips) will super cool them down to approximately -40 deg F. The first one that begins to warm up is usually the culprit as a defective component typically heats up the fastest.

Heat kills electronics and if you notice most tv or computer monitors don't have cooling fans but generate the most heat. Your monitor can probably be fixed as this problem is limited to the power supply and not the screen itself. The component that failed probably needs to be replaced as any cooling at this point is fruitless but you can try the component cooler. If the damage is marginal, the freon may keep it cool enough for normal operation until it begins to warm up and dissapates the freon's cooling action.

Repair such as yours shouldn't run more than $100, but if you can provide the technician with a schematic (try Howard Sams Photo facts at: http://www.samswebsite.com/) the cost may be lower and you may even be able to fix it yourelf. If you can read a road map and understand every icon on it then you can adapt that to electronic schematics.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

After calling around, I found out that the only shop in Honolulu that will do monitor repairs is Royal Data Services in Pauoa. I took it there and they changed out two circuit boards to fix the problem. I ended up paying almost as much as the cost of a new one, but hey! given the choice between chucking a monitor that could be fixed and buying a new one, and fixing the old one, I'd rather fix the old one. Less trash that way.

Comment

Working...
                X