GOTV campaign for Bainum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOTV campaign for Bainum

I just got a (scripted) call from a youngster reminding me that the primary was Saturday and I should vote for Bainum. Then he hung up. Not the most effective call, but hey, for $7.50/hour or whatever, I suppose better than nothing.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: GOTV campaign for Bainum

What? Who gets paid?

I did phone bank work for several campaigns... but I did it for free. Come to think of it, since I was still a kid, I was probably violating child labor laws or something.

And I can understand why your caller might've been quick to click. After a few abusive constituents, I found myself praying for answering machines! The sooner you get off the line, the less likely you are to get cornered by a armchair pundit or an especially lonely shut-in...

Comment

You may be right, Ryan. I was transferring my idea of what you'd have to pay me to do that (and cutting my price in half).

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        I just got a (scripted) call from a youngster reminding me that the primary was Saturday and I should vote for Bainum. Then he hung up. Not the most effective call, but hey, for $7.50/hour or whatever, I suppose better than nothing.
        What ever were the adults who cooked up that stupid scheme thinking????? That's child exploitation, and knowing how much people love to receive solicitation calls, I hope that kid has a good attorney who can sue the pants off the Bainum committee for hatching that idiotic attempt at tugging at peoples' heartstrings. The psychic damage that will be done to that poor kid when people hang up or worse, verbally abuse him, will never be undone.

Eesh...that's a new low in campaigning as far as I'm concerned, even if the kid was possibly being paid (which in fact probably would be in violation of child labor laws if he was a juvenile). If it was me, I'd go complain to your Election Commission.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Wait, wait. By youngster I meant he sounded like a teenager. I didn't mean he was a 10-year-old kid!

(You gotta remember I'm in my (cough) middle years here, Miulang!)

Comment

Ok, I have now gotten (within the last half-hour) a recorded message from Duke Bainum himself, and another one for or against Clayton Hee (that one I didn't stay on the line long enough to determine for sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              Wait, wait. By youngster I meant he sounded like a teenager. I didn't mean he was a 10-year-old kid!

(You gotta remember I'm in my (cough) middle years here, Miulang!)
              Heh, dat's moa betta (but not by much). You know, eva since I wen sign up on da national "Do Not Call" list, I no get dat kine calls (even though political campaigns and fund raisers are exempt)? In fact, I neva even get one message from da League of Women Voters asking me foa go vote dis time. Dey just wen change da rules on da primary election up hea. Now you gotta declare wedda you one Republican or one Demorat, even if you only stay like vote on da nonpartisan election. So plenty peoples' ballots wen go in da dumpster because dey neva wen declare dere party affiliation. Now da State Election Committee agrees dat dey wen make one beeeeeg goof because get plenty independent voters up heah. Next primary, dey going have one box foa "Independent" alongside "Republican" and "Democrat". Somebody else like do one Louisiana style primary where anybody can vote foa any candidate of any party and da top 2 vote getters get to run in da general election. So could have 2 Democrats, or 2 Republicans or 2 Independents, depending on who got da most votes!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X