Smaller soda cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller soda cans

While going through the Mililani Wal-Mart today they were selling cases of soda in 8 ounce cans for around $5-6. I am not sure but I think there were 18 cans to the case.

I didn't buy a case and I don't know if this is a limited time or a sign of things to come.

Re: Smaller soda cans

Soda bottlers tried this concept back in the late 70's and early 80's and found it quite unprofitable. Ounce per ounce the smaller cans were more expensive and consumers realized that. I'm surprized this effort is being revitalized with the same cost mistakes.

What would be better would be to put the soda in smaller bottles. Right now soda bottles are 16 or 20 oz or the mammoth 2 liter. I can't drink an entire 16 or 20-oz bottle (if you notice the caloric/nutrition count on these bottles is based on one serving and these bottles are typically 2-serve bottles. I'd like to see an 8-oz plastic bottle of soda instead of these manini half-cans. Sure you can rave at the caloric values of a half can...Half the Calories! Yeah, because it's half the serving.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Soda bottlers tried this concept back in the late 70's and early 80's and found it quite unprofitable. Ounce per ounce the smaller cans were more expensive and consumers realized that. I'm surprized this effort is being revitalized with the same cost mistakes.
      The ones I've seen recently have been those "single serving" sized cans of Coke. Craig's right: the reason why the cals are less is because you get less soda for twice the price! The 12 oz cans we think of as "single serve" actually are considered 1.5 servings (per 8 oz) if you read the back (or side) of the can. I think it's all a marketing gimmick to prey on the public's backlash against supersizing anything. But then again, nothing's going to pry me away from my 20 oz bottles of Lime Coke!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Not to hijack the thread (too much), but why do movie theaters sell such big soda sizes? There's no way you can drink that much fluid and sit still in your seat until the end of the film.

Comment

LIME COKE! As my hung over friends would say...BLAHHHHHH!!! Janitor pleezzzz!

I like those bottles because you can save the rest for later and keep the fizz. An 8-oz bottle would be ideal because it's not enough to fill you up, just enough to settle the craving for something fizzy. I'm sucking up on 12-oz of Dr. Pepper as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Not to hijack the thread (too much), but why do movie theaters sell such big soda sizes? There's no way you can drink that much fluid and sit still in your seat until the end of the film.
            "Because they can, and because people think they get a better deal if they buy more" that's why! ("more is more")

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

Glen, Glen, Glen come on man where's your marketing sense at? Of course it's to make you get out of your seat near the end where the best part is just coming up.

You get out of your seat, go relieve yourself and stock up for the finale with more megabucks popcorn! What good is it for concessions if you're stuck in your seat til the end of the movie...instead of stuck in the long lines while the finale plays out! At the end of the movie you end up going to Zippy's or Starbucks, anywhere but the concessions, so they get you when they can, while the movie is playing and to get you outta your seat, they fill you up with watered down soda (better than 3/4 fill of ice) so you have to get out of your seat and pass the concession stand.

Auwe Glen, you da perfect guy for them buggahs to take advantage of.

Comment

I also notice that some people can't drink an entire 12 ounce can at one sitting so maybe this 8 ounce version might address those people.

Comment

Those smaller cans are ideal for mixed drinks.
                  La'akea

Comment

The smaller cans could be the beverage industry's reaction to the Bottle Bill TAX that kicks in soon.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Care to elaborate? Wouldn't a smaller can mean a higher tax, proportional to the cost and volume of the individual beverage? Or does the bottle tax somehow define a bottle or can as having a minimum of {x} ounces? In which case, they're being pretty clever!

I hadn't thought of the 'mixed drink' angle. Like some of you, I thought it has to do with serving size. Forget diets and carbs... I know more than a few people who think the standard 12 oz. can is just a little too much to tackle in one sitting. (Me, I just make my can of Coke last all day.)

Comment

The smaller size is good for my kids (I know kids shouldn't drink soda), they pop open a 12-oz and leave half of it because it's too much.

If the prices were proportional to the 12-oz size I'd buy more of the smaller cans but unfortunately they're not.

In Japan they sold soda in those cans that Red Bull comes in and have been doing so for decades already. That's a good size for soft drinks.

Comment

Daiei was selling a 6 pack of 8 ounce cans for around $2.70 or so.

Comment

Safeway has their "Select" brand 12-oz 6-packs on sale every now and then for $1/sixpack

Comment

So far I noticed only the Pepsi products are in the 8 ounce cans.

Comment

Working...
                              X