Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Bush's first four years done for Hawai'i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Bush's first four years done for Hawai'i?

Here's a well-sourced document outlining what's happened here during GWB's first (and hopefully only) term. Note: It's a pdf file, but it ain't real big.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: What's Bush's first four years done for Hawai'i?

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Here's a well-sourced document outlining what's happened here during GWB's first (and hopefully only) term. Note: It's a pdf file, but it ain't real big.
    Heh. That's sure to throw gasoline (made from crude from Iraq) onto the fire! Of course, the Republicans will state that the information isn't factual because, after all, it appears on a Democratic website and that the research was done by operatives paid to make Bushie look bad. Sigh. Some days you just can't win for losing!

Miulang

You know when information as reported by the media started really being discredited by the public? I think the Jason Blair incident at the NY Times really opened peoples' eyes to the fact that what's presented as factual may in fact be fabricated. Look at what just happened to Dan Rather? Poor guy. He thought he was breaking a headline that would re-establish him as the top newsguy at CBS. Today he and the station had to apologize for not getting the facts right. Sheesh.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Heh. That's sure to throw gasoline (made from crude from Iraq) onto the fire! Of course, the Republicans will state that the information isn't factual because, after all, it appears on a Democratic website and that the research was done by operatives paid to make Bushie look bad. Sigh. Some days you just can't win for losing!

Miulang

You know when information as reported by the media started really being discredited by the public? I think the Jason Blair incident at the NY Times really opened peoples' eyes to the fact that what's presented as factual may in fact be fabricated. Look at what just happened to Dan Rather? Poor guy. He thought he was breaking a headline that would re-establish him as the top newsguy at CBS. Today he and the station had to apologize for not getting the facts right. Sheesh.
      Well, the Republicans have been claiming liberal bias in the press for as long as I can remember, even though Bill Kristol once admitted that the claim was like "working the refs" rather than having any factual basis.

As to the Democratic site, if you look at the sources, they're almost all US Gov't figures, so...

Comment

The "other" side of the story

For those of you who are too busy to go searching through the world's press for the real story as told by journalists outside the US government's sphere of influence, go to this site: http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/092304Z.shtml

At lot of it is anti-Bush, but frankly, that's how most of the world now perceives us. For the journalists who frequent this forum, this will add a different perspective to the news feeds that you get from AP and Reuters (in the US).

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; September 22, 2004, 09:25 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

As to the Democratic site, if you look at the sources, they're almost all US Gov't figures, so...
          Way back in the Pleistocene Age, when I was in high school, I was on the debate team. The issue we debated was whether or not the US should be sending troops overseas or not (mind you, this was in the 1960s--can you say deja vu ?) Whenever I debated for the pro side (send our boys overseas!) one of my favorite show-stopping lines was "If you can't believe the government, who can you believe?" The con side folded immediately. At that point, the word of the government was an immutable truth to me.

Then when I went to college, I had a chance to be part of a private press conference with Herb Klein, Richard Nixon's first Communications Director. I asked him why the government withheld information about our working covertly in Cambodia prior to the start of the Vietnam War (when we were sending "advisors" from the CIA to help try to overthrow the government over there). His answer was, "we withheld that information until now (and this was about 2 years into the Vietnam conflict by then) because it was in the interests of national security". Um...the enemy knew what we were doing all along! Exactly who was Klein referring to as the enemy, then? Why us good, law-abiding citizens of these here United States, I think. From that point forward, I have always taken anything our government (regardless of the flavor of the Administration) says with a grain of salt until I do my own research (if I care enough about something to go that far) so I can make up my own mind.

Because of things like the above and what's happening the world today, I really do think history has an awful bad habit of repeating itself.

Miulang

Comment

I know, I know, but as far as I know the Bush Administration hasn't corrupted the Census Bureau yet.

Comment

I know, I know, but as far as I know the Bush Administration hasn't corrupted the Census Bureau yet.
              Maybe his administration never go skew da figgahs, but I still stay skeptical because everytime dey go do da census (every 10 years), dey always go undercount da minorities. Maybe dat no count in da stuff you wen go cite, but I also know da Census Bureau not very accurate when it comes to counting people's ethnicity, especially in Hawai'i, where get plenty people kalakoa kine, yeah?

Miulang

Comment

Well, let's see.....we have the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, per a report in the Advertiser just this week. We are, I believe, getting that whole battle group, and a lot of federal millions to aid our schools for the influx of people. Native Hawaiians appear to be making a little more progress on their cause. We still have an honorable administration in the white house, and surely the honorable among us in Hawaii still appreciate the fact that the clinton brigade is gone.

How'm I doing so far? (G)

Better yet, what is Bush going to do for Hawaii as president in these next four years, that Kerry no way would?!
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                  Better yet, what is Bush going to do for Hawaii as president in these next four years, that Kerry no way would?!
                  I wouldn't count on either of them doing much for Hawai'i unless your elected Congresspeople and Senators can lobby hard for your cause. The only clout the Prez would have is veto power over anything Congress passed and put under his nose for his signature. The Prez is not the one who creates the laws; it's Congress that does that. And if there are questions about the legality of a law, the Supreme Court rules on any challenges. Thank goddess we have a tripartite form of government. Can't imagine what it would be like if our Prez (Bush or Kerry) was the one who set down policy...eesh.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                    Well, let's see.....we have the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, per a report in the Advertiser just this week.
                    OK.

We are, I believe, getting that whole battle group,
                    Which many people think is a Bad Idea.

and a lot of federal millions to aid our schools for the influx of people.
                    Really? Then why is the Department of Education so worried? They don't seem to have been told that they're getting any new money.

Native Hawaiians appear to be making a little more progress on their cause.
                    The Akaka Bill, yes. But what about the several court cases judged unfavorably against Kamehameha Schools, OHA, and other Hawaiian institutions?

We still have an honorable administration in the white house,
                    *Snort*

and surely the honorable among us in Hawaii still appreciate the fact that the clinton brigade is gone.
                    Bwah hah! I long for the days when the worst thing that could happen from a President's blunders was a scandal over sex.

How'm I doing so far? (G)
                    Not so good.
                    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 22, 2004, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I'd only add to Glen's response that eight years of peace and prosperity were nothing to sneeze at, especially compared to a net job loss of 1.2M jobs in the country, two wars (neither of which has been satisfactorily concluded for the people on the ground), the perpetrator of the biggest terrorist act on American land still unfound, the loss of American prestige abroad, the UN Population Fund shorted by $34M for the third straight year...etcetera, etcetera.

Comment

Working...
                      X