Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody see the President's UN speech today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody see the President's UN speech today?

I didn't either, but apparently, according to some Reuters news reports (as reported by Reuters to its Irish and Indian affiliates), the assembled body of the UN heard his sabre rattling but couldn't muster enough enthusiasm to give him more than courteous applause. Funny thing is, we're trying to find an American press article reporting the same thing and guess what we come up with --nada.

Granted, the UN is kind of a showpiece with very little power, but as one person who must have seen the speech live said, it's the first time in the history of the UN that the President of the United States has not had thunderous applause at the end of his speech. Many of the countries represented at the UN didn't even bother having their ambassadors in the audience...they sent lesser officials.

Eesh...we used to only incur the scorn of the French. Now we got everybody turning their backs on us.

Miulang

If you're interested, here is the complete text of the President's address to the UN today: http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=ne...309589,00.html
    Last edited by Miulang; September 21, 2004, 06:38 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Anybody see the President's UN speech today?

Well, the last time I tried to get help from people to do something they didn't want to do, I didn't tell them they must do it.

Mr. Bush has lived such a privileged life that he just assumes the world will hop to it when he says so; he never had to learn that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

If you're interested in Kerry-Edwards bumper sticker magnets to register your disapproval, go here. Cheap at the price ($3.99 + $2 S+H).
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
    X