Bye-bye Papa John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye-bye Papa John

Well, I didn't expect Papa John's UH-Manoa effort to last very long, but I am surprised they gave up so quickly. Their rather garish "big box" in front of Webster/Spalding Hall has been repainted in the standard, boring pinkish-gray color used throughout the campus. (A writer in the student newspaper did complain about the original paint job, which was like a billboard for Papa John, also complained that it was in an "historic location", which I didn't understand at all.)

What I did understand, after one test, was that although the pizza at Papa John's on Kapiolani near Ala Moana Center is quite decent, what they were offering at UH-Manoa were very tiny pizzas kept in some kind of heated locker. Dry, almost tasteless, by the time they were purchased ... by idiots like me.

Re: Bye-bye Papa John

Something strange is going on. That "box" re-opened today, with the same menu options for pizza, but not a word about it being Papa John.

Maybe they are having more discreet signs made?

Comment

Might've been a "billboard law"/Outdoor Circle tiff. If the visibility of the Papa John's trademarks were garish enough to warrant an editorial (could you see it from any public street?), I can imagine it must've definitely rubbed Manoa-ans the wrong way.

Comment

Ryan wrote:

"Might've been a "billboard law"/Outdoor Circle tiff. If the visibility of the Papa John's trademarks were garish enough to warrant an editorial (could you see it from any public street?), I can imagine it must've definitely rubbed Manoa-ans the wrong way."

No, it couldn't be seen from anywhere off-campus, but was blatantly obvious from some distance, especially since the overall color "concept" at UH-Manoa is so bland. It's odd that Ka Leo hasn't followed up on the story, but then that newspaper is even more dreary than usual thus far this academic year.

Comment

Well, it really is gone now.

(I'm not at all surprised.)

Comment

Someone told me that the outside vendors left campus en masse, because the standard contract with Sodexho/Marriott had a built in, untenable increase in rent upon renewal. It's almost as if they made it attractive to outside vendors so they would do the infrastructure build-out, but then forced them out to take advantage of it themselves (rather than, you know, actually investing in improving their own facilities).

Comment

"Someone told me that the outside vendors left campus en masse, because the standard contract with Sodexho/Marriott had a built in, untenable increase in rent upon renewal."

Sodexho also made it very, very difficult ... they even erected a little plate-lunch box place immediately behind the former Papa John trailer. (Sodexho's trailer remains.)

Comment

Well, according to Ka Leo today, even the much-touted "Ono Pono" concession may be in trouble. The site is up for auction, and the highest bidder will win the spot.

Very short-sighted policy.

Comment

I want to get the Sodexho contract ELIMINATED. They have an outrageous monopoly on everything that should be obliterated from this ridiculous, inefficient, short sighted, pathetic, campus.

How do I get a hold of the contract so I know what I'm dealing with?

How do you guys all know stuff about it?

Comment

Working...
                  X