Hypothesis: Hawai`i as a hi-tech hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothesis: Hawai`i as a hi-tech hub

I'm not sure if this one goes here or in Hawaii Hall (still learning my way around here), but let's see what people think.

I know there are some groups trying to develop high technology industries in Hawai`i, some with a focus on making it a trans-Pacific hub. There's some government work on that, most of it seems to be private sector (am I right? I dunno).

So, here's my question, multi-part:

What do you think would help to really grow modern, world-class hi tech in Hawai`i?
    Do you think it's a good idea or not (and why)?
    What developments really are starting to take root in technology development there?

Let's go from there and see what people say.

Later!

ND
    Andy the wannabe
    near DC? wanna talk 'bout HI?
    drop me a line, I wanna learn!

Re: Hypothesis: Hawai`i as a hi-tech hub

You want to know what's stopping that dream of yours from becoming a reality? Try reading the posts on Hawaii's brain drain! Thats the problem here. We can't keep nor attract the quality of people or businesses to come and establish themselves here. Poor wages coupled with high costs of living here make it a poor choice for businesses to grow.

There is this anti-business culture that prevails here from government to environmentalists to special interest groups. Plus the NIMBY attitude makes it even harder to find a place to build upon.

It's either no tax incentives, saving some poor tadpole, or uncovering bones that stops development. Hawaii is by far not business friendly to start ups.

Then there's the brain drain. With our high cost of living, it's harder to keep or attract the quality of workers a business needs.

Need I say more?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
    X