National Museum of the American Indian...live feed show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Museum of the American Indian...live feed show

If anyone is interested there's a live feed going on for the NMAI celebrations:

http://www.smithsonian.tv/videos/nma...mony/index.htm

'The Aloha Boys' are playing now and they'll be having more entertainers like Kieth Secola etc.

Re: National Museum of the American Indian...live feed show

Originally posted by Peshkwe
    If anyone is interested there's a live feed going on for the NMAI celebrations:

http://www.smithsonian.tv/videos/nma...mony/index.htm

'The Aloha Boys' are playing now and they'll be having more entertainers like Kieth Secola etc.
    Ho, Peshkwe! I read with great interest the stories coming out about the National Museum of the American Indian. I'm glad that, according to the TV news reports, they do not have anything on view right now that helps perpetuate the image of the Ndn as savage. I'm glad that the curators talked with representives of the Ndn Nation to ask how you wanted to be portrayed.

I'm also glad that the kinship between all Native people is being celebrated, too. Up here in Washington, there is a strong tie between the tribes and the Hawaiians. In fact, some of the tribes up here who are petitioning the government for federal recognition have asked the organizers of the Hawaii sovereignty movement to assist them with organizing tactics, etc.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

*listens to Pappy Johns Band with Murray Porter *

W00T!! Hot Ndn Blues...yeah Baby!!!!

Ya might like to read how some Ancestors helped with the catalyst:

http://www.indiancountry.com/?1095511246

Cool that they're workin together out there.

Be interesting to see what comes out of it, the Nations know and been through alot of how it works, maybe a different set of eyes looking can see something Ndn nations are to close to....and the mainland Nations can let the native Hawaiians know what went right or wrong with how the present system works.

Still alot of work to be done with the predjudices, stereotyping and stuff...my mom still talks about having rocks thrown at her as a kid. An adult man didn't like her stepping on his lawn so he yelled "Get off my lawn you dirty little bow-and-arrow Frenchman!" and he chucked rocks at her from his garden.

Still alot of that going on in various ways...shoot they teach it in the schools from kindergarden on up. I mean ya don't see kids dressing up in Black face to celebrate Martin Luthor King day or Black history month...

But ya sure do see them teaching kids to dress in Red-face come November, which makes it OK for all the other sterotyping 'cause the little kids are activly taught it's OK. *sigh*

Comment

Thanks for the neat link. I've been trying to catch up on all the news, as yes there's a Native Hawaiian component to this museum as well. (And I like the term "First Americans." I hope it catches on.) Most of the news here has focused on Edgy Lee's last-minute documentary film.
        In her film, Lee combines conventional scenic shots of the islands' natural beauty with fresh insights into the enduring relevance of traditional Hawaiian culture and the similarities between the experiences of native Hawaiians and the indigenous peoples of North America.
        As some Native Hawaiian groups continue to push for federal recognition similar to that granted American Indians, and given our inclusion in this national museum, I wonder if the terminology will get muddled over time, and if some will start calling indigenous Hawaiians "Hawaiian Indians" or something?

The Reporter notes that our senior senator was key in making the museum a reality:
        Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, pushed hardest for the new Smithsonian museum. "In this city of monuments there was no statue, no monument honoring the first Americans," he said. "This monument to the first Americans is long overdue."
        Here's the museum's official website.

Comment

Ho Peschkwe!
          Reading the story in that link above gave me goose bumps. Obviously, Ndn karma was at work. I am only sorry that the museum and the stories it will tell to future generations of Americans was so long in the making.

Repatriation of human remains and religious objects is also of great concern to the kanaka maoli. There is already a law in place to provide for that. However, in this free enterprise country of ours, everything has become objectified: the bones of an ancient are sold on the open market to collectors. I cannot understand anyone wanting to buy the bones of another person!

Anyway, you are so very correct that all the Native peoples of this country (and the world, really) have sooooo much in common and there needs to be a larger exchange of ideas among the peoples who are struggling to maintain their history.

Miulang

P.S. In Canada, Ndns, Eskimos and other indigenous people are called "First Nation". I think that gives the kind of dignity that they deserve.
          Last edited by Miulang; September 24, 2004, 06:48 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Reading the story in that link above gave me goose bumps.
            I thought the part about how the location of the museum on the National Mall was secured was interesting, too. As highly-coveted and hotly debated space is in that area (recall the fiery debate over where the WWII memorial was going to go), Dan Inouye spied a patch of land from his Capitol office that just happened to be designated for but not used by the Smithsonian, and the rest was history.

Since the official site actually doesn't do a very good job of helping you find the place, this Yahoo! Map might give you a good idea. Relative to the Capitol, that spot's like third row, orchestra right. Can't wait to visit.

Comment

In Canada the three 'Official' Indigious designations are First Nations, Metis and Inuit First Nations are the rez Ndn's generally and near full blood of that Nations reserve. Metis are the mix-bloods, the Ndn's who have 4-5 Nations in them as well as non-Ndn liniages. It covers even full-bloods who are just heavily mixed or for one reason or another they or their parents lost status (used to be you left the reserve for longer than 3 months you were struck from the rolls, or if a woman married a white guy...the Ndn man who married a white woman kept his status). And the Inuit is obvious, they were last in so got their own designation.

Maintaining the language is one of the main ways to maintain the culture, Hawaii is cool in that way. They actively work to strengthen the speakers and it's intrigrated into everyday language as well. The mainland Nations were denied that 'specially with the children in boarding school and so lost alot.

Comment

In Canada the three 'Official' Indigious designations are First Nations, Metis and Inuit First Nations are the rez Ndn's generally and near full blood of that Nations reserve. Metis are the mix-bloods, the Ndn's who have 4-5 Nations in them as well as non-Ndn liniages. It covers even full-bloods who are just heavily mixed or for one reason or another they or their parents lost status (used to be you left the reserve for longer than 3 months you were struck from the rolls, or if a woman married a white guy...the Ndn man who married a white woman kept his status). And the Inuit is obvious,
                A funny story that happened to me:Once when I went on a "pilgrimmage" to Haida Gwai'i to see totem poles (much to my dismay, the majority of totem poles no longer are at Haida Gwai'i, but in the museums in Vancouver and London), I stopped in a little convenience store outside of Skidegate, and when I went up to the register, the woman behind the counter looked at me and asked me if I was First Nation! (Of course, I'm not...not even Ndn or Hawaiian but I have been mistaken for being Mexican, Eskimo, you name it). This also happened to me when I went out to Neah Bay, here in Washington State and visited the Makah museum. I was flattered, of course. Maybe I was Ndn in another life???

Miulang

BTW: Ndn kids here are learning their mother tongues. It's kind of difficult, because much of it was unwritten, but the elders are doing their best to hand down the language and culture of the tribe as best as they can, and the kids are starting to come around. There's still a lot of unemployment and alcoholism among those who live on the reservations, but the kids are learning not to turn to alcohol or drugs, which I think is really neat.
                Last edited by Miulang; September 24, 2004, 07:20 AM.

Comment

My Dad and Mom went to Kauai during one of his early remissions (he had leukimia) and he used to sit out at the beach by himself alot. He'd get talked to in Hawaiian and get 'bruddah'd' and rattled off to in pidgen alot...totally confused the crud out of him.

Here's my folks (dunno which link will work best so's there's two):

http://www.geocities.com/peshkwe/MomDad.txt

http://www.geocities.com/peshkwe/MomDad.jpg
                  (might need to copy/paste to a new window)

Comment

My Dad and Mom went to Kauai during one of his early remissions (he had leukimia) and he used to sit out at the beach by himself alot. He'd get talked to in Hawaiian and get 'bruddah'd' and rattled off to in pidgen alot...totally confused the crud out of him.

Here's my folks (dunno which link will work best so's there's two):

http://www.geocities.com/peshkwe/MomDad.txt

http://www.geocities.com/peshkwe/MomDad.jpg
                    (might need to copy/paste to a new window)
                    Very nice pic! (both links work). Who do you take after? Mom or Dad?

Comment

I dunno, I think I'm a blend LOL!

Here's a few years old pic of me (bout 3 years old I was 43 at the time, just turned 47)

http://www.pali.net/gallery/pali/thumb/catmain.html

My folks were 73yrs old in that pic

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Thanks for the neat link. I've been trying to catch up on all the news, as yes there's a Native Hawaiian component to this museum as well. (And I like the term "First Americans." I hope it catches on.) Most of the news here has focused on Edgy Lee's last-minute documentary film.

As some Native Hawaiian groups continue to push for federal recognition similar to that granted American Indians, and given our inclusion in this national museum, I wonder if the terminology will get muddled over time, and if some will start calling indigenous Hawaiians "Hawaiian Indians" or something?

The Reporter notes that our senior senator was key in making the museum a reality:

Here's the museum's official website.
                        Good articles, I'd like to see that film whe it comes out too.

Comment

I dunno, I think I'm a blend LOL!

Here's a few years old pic of me (bout 3 years old I was 43 at the time, just turned 47)

http://www.pali.net/gallery/pali/thumb/catmain.html

My folks were 73yrs old in that pic
                          Ho Peshkwe! You have a very very attractive family (including the bunny ). Heh. You could be mistaken for a local for sure! No wonder your Dad had all the kanes on Kauai talking pidgin to him.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Ho Peshkwe! You have a very very attractive family (including the bunny ). Heh. You could be mistaken for a local for sure! No wonder your Dad had all the kanes on Kauai talking pidgin to him.

Miulang

Bunny?? Huh?

*checks the link*

Yup, that's #6....Oh!! That's not my bunny! LOL! That was in Pali's family, I'm just a friend. The site is his, I just did the art for his CD.

Comment

Bunny?? Huh?

*checks the link*

Yup, that's #6....Oh!! That's not my bunny! LOL! That was in Pali's family, I'm just a friend. The site is his, I just did the art for his CD.
                              Heehee! You still have an attractive family (so that was you in the Christmas picture in the beginning, yes?) When you first open up the link, though, that was you, correct? If so, you do look kinda local you know!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X