Seeing the sunset at Magic Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing the sunset at Magic Island

I have been living on Oahu for over 20 years and today was the first time I saw the sunset from the vantage point on Magic Island. While it was nice I did notice that part of Oahu blocked the last part of the sunset.

I take it if I saw this say in the winter months the sun would have disappeared over the ocean?

Re: Seeing the sunset at Magic Island

I can't verify the winter-sunset thing, Helen, but as you know, this is one of the most celebrated sunsets in the state.

If you know someone who lives in Yacht Harbor Towers and has a lanai on the makai end, you should beg for an invitation to see the sunset from there. It's even more amazing to see the sun set behind Kaka`ako while you're looking at it from above and across Ala Moana Park.

Amazing. Truly.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If you watch the sunset from Magic Island, or from the Ewa end of Ala Moana Center, outside Sears, you get one of the more dramatic and obvious results of the change of season here (one of the few, as well). In the middle of winter, the sun sets to the left of that ugly condo across from Ala Moana Center. Now it sets to the right of it.

Comment

I should have mentioned this in my post last night but a few years ago a couple of college friends and I went to the lookout on Tantalus that over looks UH Manoa. It was during the late afternoon in December and the sun had set over the ocean and then you could see a second sunset of an orange ball going down in the ocean. We kicked yourselves for not bringing our cameras but we did the next day to see it again.

I remember right it was a few hundred feet going ewa from that lookout that you can see this.

Comment

I went yesterday to see the sunset at Magic Island and while the clouds blocked the view the sun did set over the ocean and not over land like it did last May.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            I went yesterday to see the sunset at Magic Island and while the clouds blocked the view the sun did set over the ocean and not over land like it did last May.
            Just "smile" and know you're in the most beautiful place in the world. I see the sun set over Mauna Kea Living in Hilo.
            Last edited by alohabear; March 17, 2005, 07:52 AM.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              your in the most beautiful place...
              ok, I'll bite; my what in the most beautiful place...?

Comment

I've taken many photos of sunsets at Kakaako Waterfront Park over the course of the past year since starting my BuzzNet account. During the summer months the sun sets behind the Waianae Mountain range on the Leeward Coast, during the fall and winter, the sun sets into the ocean, kind of south westerly of Hawaii. The views at Kakaako are similar to those at Magic Island, which I also have some photos of.

http://www.buzznet.com/www/buzzwords/?buzz=kakaako
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I need to see a sunset from Magic Island soon. I also would like to dry out. HaHa!
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X