The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Between the CNN web site and Monday's Tonight Show, Jay Leno announced that he will retire from hosting the Tonight Show in 2009 and has named Conan O'Brian as the new host of the Tonight Show.

Re: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Good for Conan. I like the guy. His comedy style is closer to Letterman's, though, than Leno's. In fact, it's downright quirky... an acquired taste for someone used to Carson and Leno and their open-to-all, grand style of entertaining. I wonder if Conan's going to have to shoehorn his personality into something more mainstream, of if NBC will have the guts to let its "Tonight Show" institution actually evolve a little with the times?

Comment

Conan sure wouldn't be my first choice; that would go to Billy Crystal, by a mile. (Though he probably wouldn't even consider taking it.)
      Who's your favorite choice?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Any chance that Leno would reconsider?

Reconsider leaving right now instead of 5 years from now would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          Conan sure wouldn't be my first choice; that would go to Billy Crystal, by a mile. (Though he probably wouldn't even consider taking it.)
          Who's your favorite choice?
          If it happened today maybe Billy Crystal could take over, but I think he and Leno are roughly the same age group. Whereas Conan is at least 10 years younger than Leno. It's more a retirement issue for Leno leaving the Tonight Show.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            I wonder if Conan's going to have to shoehorn his personality into something more mainstream,
            You can just about bet the house on that.

Letterman, once he moved to CBS, went downhill VERY fast, primarily because he (and his otherwise brilliant writing staff) were met with a new pressure to make the show "accessible" to a larger, mainstream audience who otherwise did not stay up late enough to have appreciated the sheer genius that "Late NIGHT with David Letterman" was. In its day, there was NOTHING on TV more funnier and innovative than "Late Night".

The result, of course, is that "The Late Show" has evolved into a big heap of suckage over the years, and just isn't very funny or innovative anymore...very depressing for me, an obsessive fan who taped almost EVERY Letterman show since the late 80's! Nowadays, however, I NEVER watch his show (I think I lost interest in "The Late Show" after the first year on CBS). One of these days, though, I'm going to have to take the time to convert all those old NBC shows to DVD

of if NBC will have the guts to let its "Tonight Show" institution actually evolve a little with the times?
            One can only hope. I have to say, I'm really impressed to see how Conan has evolved and improved over the years. His show is one of the best things on TV nowadays. Although I distinctly remember his first week taking over Letterman's old "Late Night" slot and thinking to myself, "I give this dweeb 8 months, and then NBC will cancel this big turd". It's amazing he's been on for 10 years already.

You gotta hand it to NBC for keeping him on for such a long time. But there is NO way that his show would play well to an earlier audience, so you can count on him getting "watered down" as host of the Tonight Show, in the exact same fate that befell Letterman.

btw, I REALLY miss Johnny Carson
            Last edited by melorama; September 29, 2004, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil
              Reconsider leaving right now instead of 5 years from now would be perfect.
              I take it you're not a fan of Leno? I'm not either. I don't dislike him, but he's about as interesting and provocative as a slab of tofu. Tofu has its place, sure, but not at the helm of "The Tonight Show." On CSPAN, maybe...

Originally posted by melorama
              The result, of course, is that "The Late Show" has evolved into a big heap of suckage over the years, and just isn't very funny or innovative anymore...
              There was definitely a watering-down effect, but I'll still tune in to Letterman now and then... at least, with much more regularity than I'll ever put up with Leno, even for an interesting guest. If you were a fan of the "comedy bits," they're absolutely flat and tame now. But it's Letterman himself that I like. He's nerdy and awkward and fully willing to bomb in front of millions of people every night. He can ask a dumb question or say something ridiculous, and if he gets called on it, he takes it like a man. It might not be polished, but it's more real to me.

I'm really impressed to see how Conan has evolved and improved over the years. His show is one of the best things on TV nowadays.
              I agree. At least until The Daily Show over on Comedy Central found its legs. I think that it's because Conan's humor has such a wide range - from the apallingly tasteless to the silly prank - that he does so well. He can be "Abbot & Costello" one moment and "South Park" the next, you know?

I could actually do without some of that poop/masturbation/gross-out stuff, but then again, I also acknowledge I'm well into my transition into a fuddy-duddy.

Comment

I like Jay Leno . His humor is hillarious, plus his
                ribbing of the black guy in the band is so funny
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I take it you're not a fan of Leno? I'm not either. I don't dislike him, but he's about as interesting and provocative as a slab of tofu. Tofu has its place, sure, but not at the helm of "The Tonight Show." On CSPAN, maybe...
                  The Leno show is lame tripe, as far as im concerned.

But it's ironic that I say that, because Leno used to be one of my favorite comedians ever. His guest appearances on the old Letterman show were just hilarious, and I have an OLD audiocassette that I made of Jay Leno on the Larry King Radio show (circa 1989 or 90...taped off of KHVH "Newsradio 99" ), and back then, he was one of the funniest and wittiest comedians around. And his guest hosting stints for Johnny Carson were great too...He definitely more than deserved to take over the show when Johnny retired.

Of course I can't completely blame Leno for "losing it" so quickly. I have to respect the difficult task that is writing a comedy TV show every weekday. But it still doesn't change the fact that the show blows now :P

I agree. At least until The Daily Show over on Comedy Central found its legs.
                  I've actually been sleeping on the Daily Show every since its inception years ago...but I finally tuned into the show this week, and was floored by how funny and witty it is. I've always been a fan of Jon Stewart (remember his talk show in the mid '90's?...he had the best musical guests!), but for some reason I was skeptical of The Daily Show.

I think that it's because Conan's humor has such a wide range - from the apallingly tasteless to the silly prank - that he does so well. He can be "Abbot & Costello" one moment and "South Park" the next, you know?
                  Thats why I like Conan so much. Admittedly, I dont really watch his show very often anymore (I spend most of my time at home listening to The Best Show on WFMU archives, when I want my witty comedy fix), but it's the odd, "conceptual" comedy that he does that makes him a worthy suitor to the NBC-era Letterman throne. I think Conan is one of those polarizing personalities: You either "get" his comedy, and find it completely funny, or you *dont* get it and find it repulsive or "wierd". That's what made Letterman so great. They both didn't try to appeal to the lowest common denominator audience.

You can't deny the sheer genius/stupidity that is "Skull Juice"!

Comment

Good for Conan. I like the guy. His comedy style is closer to Letterman's, though, than Leno's. In fact, it's downright quirky... an acquired taste for someone used to Carson and Leno and their open-to-all, grand style of entertaining. I wonder if Conan's going to have to shoehorn his personality into something more mainstream, of if NBC will have the guts to let its "Tonight Show" institution actually evolve a little with the times?

I see conans style as completely unlike any other. totally unique

Comment

Working...
                    X