X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dobelle's new job?!

Read about the newly fired president of Florida A&M university at:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/09....ap/index.html

Sound familiar? Maybe ol' Evan Dobelle could apply there.
    Matter of fact, isn't it kinda interesting that no other university anywhere seems interested in hiring Dobelle?
    Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Dobelle's new job?!

Why do you presume he's looking for another job as a university president right now? He bought a home here, he's got a two-year contract to do research, etc. Maybe he's turning down offers. Do you know otherwise?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
      Why do you presume he's looking for another job as a university president right now? He bought a home here, he's got a two-year contract to do research, etc. Maybe he's turning down offers. Do you know otherwise?
      Yeah, why should be go look for another job when he's guaranteed a job at UH for the next 2 years? He can lay low for those 2 years and then when everybody's kind of forgotten about him, he will be able to go find another job, no prob. I'm telling you: academia is very incestuous and they take care of their own.

Kinda reminds me of Marion Berry, the mayor of Washington, DC. How many times did he get busted for drugs and how many times after that did he get re-elected Mayor of DC????

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

>> Why do you presume he's looking for another job as a university president right now? <<

He had headhunters looking for a president job for him as of at least a year ago. It was mentioned repeatedly in the news outlets during his termination proceedings and is a matter of highly public record.

>> He bought a home here <<'

No, he rented a home here recently, in Manoa Valley.

Comment

From today's Chronicle of Higher Education, I give you this speculative update and slight insight of the subject:

http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php...fqnChTQTqymppf
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Thanks, LavaGal. Very interesting. And timely too, as I was wondering about Dobelle's current situation in just the past couple of days.

Comment

From Ian Lind's blog today:

The Boston Globe picked up the Associated Press story on the errant phone call of Evan Dobelle, but the Hartford Courrant had by far the best headline:

"Ask not for whom Dobelle called"

Comment

UC President Dynes

Originally posted by LikaNui
                Read about the newly fired president of Florida A&M university at:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/09....ap/index.html

Sound familiar? Maybe ol' Evan Dobelle could apply there.
                Matter of fact, isn't it kinda interesting that no other university anywhere seems interested in hiring Dobelle?
                Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
                How about this other (long running) story about UC President Dynes over compensation and spending accounting... The UC Regents actually back him up thru the controversy - while all of the reporters are clamouring for his removal/resignation.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politi...15071968c.html

Comment

Well, according to this report on KITV, Evan Dobelle finally turned in the research paper that he owed the UH as part of his termination agreement. I'd like to get paid $250,000 and take 2 years to produce a 400-page document, too. And what happens if current UH President McClain reviews it and finds it academically deficient? Will he force Dobell to redo the paper?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Dobelle might have to take an INCOMPLETE ............

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Well, according to this report on KITV, Evan Dobelle finally turned in the research paper that he owed the UH as part of his termination agreement. I'd like to get paid $250,000 and take 2 years to produce a 400-page document, too. And what happens if current UH President McClain reviews it and finds it academically deficient? Will he force Dobell to redo the paper?
                      Wow. As a geek, I want to know the size of that file. As a technician, I want to know how many times he had to backup that file (maybe he'd die if a brownout just zapped everything bye-bye)
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'd love to see this document posted online for all the meticulous HT readers to read and pick a part....

I wonder if it will ever be made public?

But then again... who on here would read 400 pages by him?

And a further question... I could write 400 pages for $50,000 over a year....(eye wood mayk shure no erros theeir wer.)

You wonder if he actually wrote it or hired some one to?

Comment

Ah, c’mon, Mānoa! Considering David McClain is a college professor, I think he can tell the difference between a scholar-level academic research paper and something a freelance writer could come up with — even if he/she had two years to do it. Think Dobelle’s colleagues would accept bribery to compromise their principles and give good ‘ol Evan credit for something that would likely require considerable effort on their part?

Look at it this way: most of the people who post on HT consider themselves fairly good writers. Yet, we just had an entire thread delve into just how crappy some of the writing is here. Not to hurt your feelings or anything, but your writing on this forum often leaves something to be desired!

So no, despite Dobelle’s arrogance, I think he was intelligent enough to cover his butt on this one. I agree with you though, that it would be nice if the document is made public.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Evan Dobelle's NEW new job?!

Well well well, look who's in the news again, with yet another new job!
                            Evan Dobelle, the former president of the University of Hawai'i system, has been offered the president post at Westfield State College, one of nine state colleges in Massachusetts.
                            (...)
                            Westfield was founded in 1839 by Horace Mann and is located in Westfield, Mass.
                            I wonder if he gave UH as a reference.
                            And hey, how does a teeny tiny state like Massachusetts have nine colleges?!?

Comment

That's another bunch of people whose eyes Dobelle's managed to "pull the wool over."

Massachusetts is not that small. Got a lot more people than Hawaii and they can drive from city to city.

Comment

Working...
                              X