Big Island Poke Festival no longer Sam Choy's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Island Poke Festival no longer Sam Choy's

Eh you Honolulu guys...Come November, Sam Choy going hold his own Poke Festival at Turtle Bay. Go out there if can, and support da buggah, yeah?

Hapuna Resorts on da Big Island, which originally co-sponsored the Annual Poke Contest for years, told Sam after last year's festival that they didn't need him. Something about "creative differences related to the direction of the event."

Eh, in my book, whateva Sam wants, Sam should get! He da man! He da poke man!

So if can, go to his 13th Annual Poke Festival. If not foa him, hardly anybody would know what poke is!

Read here: http://starbulletin.com/2004/09/29/news/index3.html

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Big Island Poke Festival no longer Sam Choy's

Originally posted by Miulang
    If not foa him, hardly anybody would know what poke is!
    Poke did not begin when Sam Choy appeared, and poke will not end when he is gone. Sam holds a great poke contest -- everybody should go! -- but no make like poke is one wussy delicate dish that needs Sam's help. Poke stay strong!

Comment

I thought it was interesting how both events are going to claim thirteen years of history. Obviously, one's having its thirteenth event, and the other is having its first... but I guess I'll take the duplication rather than endure yet another invocation of the phrase "first annual" -- ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Poke did not begin when Sam Choy appeared, and poke will not end when he is gone. Sam holds a great poke contest -- everybody should go! -- but no make like poke is one wussy delicate dish that needs Sam's help. Poke stay strong!
        Eh, wen I was still living in Hawaii, neva have such a ting as poke! Was "sashimi wit shoyu and green onions and lido bit chilipeppa" back den. I first wen notice dakine in da 1980s on one of my then-infrequent visits to da 'aina. And den I wen go discover Sam and his cookbooks. Now me and da kane go make our own poke wheneva we get da craving (except I no put da limu insai and no moa dakine inamona, but just da green onions, shoyu and lido bit sesame oil and maybe some sliced round onions, ho, das good enough foa me!)

Miulang

BTW: I just found out that Sam is actually "going home" to Turtle Bay. He was a sous chef at da Kuilima (which is now Turtle Bay) in da 1970s before he even became famous.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Eh Miulang...you baby! HA HA! Me keiki time nevah have green onion was still seed yet! Sashimi was still swimming around, had to eat em wiggling because nevah invent fire yet too! Ho you dakine mento ova sesame seed oil yeah? Put em on your poke, put em in your manapua.

Ahem...now my all time favorite poke is shoyu ahi!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Eh Miulang...you baby! HA HA! Me keiki time nevah have green onion was still seed yet! Sashimi was still swimming around, had to eat em wiggling because nevah invent fire yet too! Ho you dakine mento ova sesame seed oil yeah? Put em on your poke, put em in your manapua.

Ahem...now my all time favorite poke is shoyu ahi!
            Eh, what you mean I one baby? I makule, anden!
            I neva wen use dakine sesame seed oil until lately, but if you only stay put skoshi insai, jus add one flava nobody can recognize (da secret ingredient, yeah?) Jus like in da Hawaii manapua. Das wat makes da buggah so much more onolicious den da kine you get insai da Chinese dim sum places. Took me long time to pinpoint da flava. Now I get em down good!

Miulang

P.S. Ahi and shoyu still my favorite kine poke too. Except back small keed time we wen go call 'em "sashimi wit shoyu". Up here, we go use maguro chunks (da stuff dat dey go miscut when dey cutting sashimi) because dat cheaper den da $18-20/lb one nice block ahi going cost.

Comment

Miulang, you mean some people actually use sashimi-grade ahi for poke? Ho, da extravagant! I thought poke was almost always from the extra bits like you said. Speaking of using all the bits, you know what locals call canned tuna? "A waste of good poke."

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                Miulang, you mean some people actually use sashimi-grade ahi for poke? Ho, da extravagant! I thought poke was almost always from the extra bits like you said. Speaking of using all the bits, you know what locals call canned tuna? "A waste of good poke."
                Bahahaha! Good one, Glen!
                Except wen you eat canned albacore tuna (da whole chunk kine, not da "lite" chunks) cannot imagine dat dat would taste as ono as ahi! To me, gotta be maguro/ahi or else not going be poke! Even tako poke not foa real to me.

Miulang

Comment

Ho wow Glen whea you been braddah! Get plentee of places dat use sashimi grade for poki...except Star Market, no go buy poke from dem buggahs, stay spoil real fas!

Now wea I can find poke made with fresh Hamachi! Now das broke da mout flavah! Oh yea no foget choke sesame seed oil too yeah?

Comment

Ho wow Glen whea you been braddah! Get plentee of places dat use sashimi grade for poki...except Star Market, no go buy poke from dem buggahs, stay spoil real fas!

Now wea I can find poke made with fresh Hamachi! Now das broke da mout flavah! Oh yea no foget choke sesame seed oil too yeah?
                    Eh Craig! I tink hamachi moa betta foa sashimi. Kinda delicate tasting (more den ahi). Good sliced thin wit lido bit shoyu and shredded daikon. You ever had tombo (da fatty stomach part of da aku) on top of nigiri? Ho! dat's da best!

Miulang

Comment

Ho Miulang yeah I wen broke da mout with Tombo Ahi. Das da cheap cut but for poke not too shabby! But goin taste mo bettah wit dakine sesame seed oil yeah?

Comment

Ho Miulang yeah I wen broke da mout with Tombo Ahi. Das da cheap cut but for poke not too shabby! But goin taste mo bettah wit dakine sesame seed oil yeah?
                        Hui Bruddah Craig, yeah, da sesame seed oil da winning ticket! I tink if I could get inamona (kukui nut) up hea, da taste would be almost da same as wit da sesame seed oil. But since no moa inamona (unless I can go find frozen kine at da Japanese grocery store) gotta use da sesame seed oil. Might as well...da buggah (sesame seed oil) no good for frying anyway...going burn anden.

A hui hou,
                        Miulang

Comment

Oh wow lau lau, hoo boy Miulang you wen drop my jaw wen you wen say inamona. You know dakine pidgin no mo da written language so stay kinda hard to try write em down yeah? So wen you wen say inamona in your poki I wen say, "Ho dis lolo chick like put ammonia in her poki?" Das dakine mento or wat!"

For dakine frying stuffs try use olive oil or water instead, but you no like fry dakine poki eh? Das one waste.

Wit all diskine talk about poki, I goin down Safeway and pick up some onolishis poki for tonight. Wash em down wit MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) oh yeah!

Comment

Oh wow lau lau, hoo boy Miulang you wen drop my jaw wen you wen say inamona. You know dakine pidgin no mo da written language so stay kinda hard to try write em down yeah? So wen you wen say inamona in your poki I wen say, "Ho dis lolo chick like put ammonia in her poki?" Das dakine mento or wat!"

For dakine frying stuffs try use olive oil or water instead, but you no like fry dakine poki eh? Das one waste.

Wit all diskine talk about poki, I goin down Safeway and pick up some onolishis poki for tonight. Wash em down wit MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) oh yeah!
                            Wassamatta-u, Craig? You no know da Hawaiian for kukui nut meat? Eh. I stay on da mainland and den I go know dat anden!

No fair you going grind poke tonight! Us guys going to one Mariners baseball game tonight (guests of one of da vendors I stay work with, so we going sit in one of da suites) to see Ichiro beat da record for da most hits in one season...dat record from sometime in da 1920s. Ichiro stay be "Mr. Baseball" even though our team really scrub dis year (I tink dey call it "rebuilding" ). If I rememba wat had foa grind last time was only hot dogs lidat. Had one goooood dessert tray, though, and plenty beer and wine...
                            Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              Wassamatta-u, Craig? You no know da Hawaiian for kukui nut meat? Eh. I stay on da mainland and den I go know dat anden!

No fair you going grind poke tonight! Us guys going to one Mariners baseball game tonight (guests of one of da vendors I stay work with, so we going sit in one of da suites) to see Ichiro beat da record for da most hits in one season...dat record from sometime in da 1920s. Ichiro stay be "Mr. Baseball" even though our team really scrub dis year (I tink dey call it "rebuilding" ). If I rememba wat had foa grind last time was only hot dogs lidat. Had one goooood dessert tray, though, and plenty beer and wine...
                              Miulang
                              Eh wow jus make la dat eh! Jus for dat I goin buy two-pounds of Shoyu Ahi instead of one and I goin grind em watching dakine Joe Moore and da Channel 2 news! And jus wait! Tomorrow I goin beach and spock da waves with my plate lunch from Tsukenjo's la dat. Ho boy making you jealous yeah? Us buggahs no mo professional sports. Ho da boring ova hea.

Comment

Working...
                              X