Anyone handy with metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone handy with metal?

I want to make a blowhole in my computer case to let some of the hot air out when my computer is on (I have 3 weeks to accomplish this before I go back to school).

I'm looking at this tool that I found something similar at Sears Pearlridge this afternoon. Can it cut through metal?

And whoever's handy with metal, can you take this project? I just want a blow hole in my computer, and maybe later on, make a window to show off the inside.

I have about $60 to spend on a tool, but since I bought a weak dremel tool (a cordless one, and I probably ruined the motor and some bits) I don't know what to look for. My Dad has a workshop where he keeps his tools, but I've never seen him cut metal (and if I ask him, then he'll expect me to look for it myself).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Anyone handy with metal?

http://www.escience.ca/circuitT/REND...074/11160.html

Try use this product. It's a nibbler and can make square holes in thin sheet metal just like your computer case. As a matter of fact it is the one tool you'll need for what you described. It functions like a toenail cutter but the cutting jaw is offset somewhat. You drill a 1/4" hole and nibble the size and shape of the hole you want. After drilling the hole, you insert the nibbling head thru it, set the cutting blade over the area you want to cut and squeeze the handle. The cutting jaw makes a 1/8" square hole as it slices thru the metal. Move the cutting jaw forward and squeeze again and it cuts another square out. Keep cutting and moving until you have the length you need then turn the cutting jaw 90-degrees and cut that way. Pretty soon you'll have a square hole.

Radio Shack sells this tool as well so guess what? They're open til 9pm tonight! It's easier and less messy than using a grinding tool and much safer since there is little waste to get into the circuitry and after drilling the initial hole, you can cut away into the wee hours without waking up your zero-property neighbor.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Anyone handy with metal?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      http://www.escience.ca/circuitT/REND...074/11160.html

Try use this product. It's a nibbler and can make square holes in thin sheet metal just like your computer case. As a matter of fact it is the one tool you'll need for what you described. It functions like a toenail cutter but the cutting jaw is offset somewhat. You drill a 1/4" hole and nibble the size and shape of the hole you want. After drilling the hole, you insert the nibbling head thru it, set the cutting blade over the area you want to cut and squeeze the handle. The cutting jaw makes a 1/8" square hole as it slices thru the metal. Move the cutting jaw forward and squeeze again and it cuts another square out. Keep cutting and moving until you have the length you need then turn the cutting jaw 90-degrees and cut that way. Pretty soon you'll have a square hole.

Radio Shack sells this tool as well so guess what? They're open til 9pm tonight! It's easier and less messy than using a grinding tool and much safer since there is little waste to get into the circuitry and after drilling the initial hole, you can cut away into the wee hours without waking up your zero-property neighbor.
      Its supposed to be a circle.

I'll keep that in mind, but right now, I have some major computer problems: I just got the Blue Screen of Death (something Mac users don't have) and I'm trying to pinpoint the source.

Thanks for the tip though!
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
      X