PDA

View Full Version : What's for lunch today? - Chapter 2

Tutulady
September 30th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Today's plate lunch special was pot roast from Sassy Kassy Lunch Wagon down Kalaeloa. Pretty good pot roast I must say.

craigwatanabe
October 1st, 2004, 07:38 AM
Ho Tutulady you had to mention Sassy! I miss dat lunch wagon! But wen you stay go Sassy's you go eat the "#1 Broke da Mout" teri plate, extra rice no moa salad. Dat plate lunch is No Ka Oi with all the gristle and da pickled onion on top.

Yeah I can smell em now. Too bad I stay up hea in Kea'au on da Big Island now. :(

EastCoastTropics
October 1st, 2004, 07:47 AM
Eating lunch as I type this....

A sweet onion chicken teriyaki sub on Honey Oat bread. Eating slowing as I just got a temporary crown put in an hour ago.....

craigwatanabe
October 1st, 2004, 08:34 AM
Ova hea I nevah even eat breakfast yet! As I type it's only 8:35 am and raining!

Tutulady
October 1st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Ho Tutulady you had to mention Sassy! I miss dat lunch wagon! But wen you stay go Sassy's you go eat the "#1 Broke da Mout" teri plate, extra rice no moa salad. Dat plate lunch is No Ka Oi with all the gristle and da pickled onion on top.

Yeah I can smell em now. Too bad I stay up hea in Kea'au on da Big Island now. :(LOL Craig, das a givin yeah? Actually da wahines hea in owah office make Sassy's teri beef plate day almost e'ryday of da week! I cannot eat um too much because of health reasons (I no use shoyu except in my poke or sashimi and even tho gotta be low sodium) but I have um on occassion and da buggah is winnahs! :D

Today I had couple cone sushi a fish patty wit side of onion poke from Tanioka's. I stay eating and wishing I had poi though. *sigh* Sooo ono... ;)

craigwatanabe
October 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM
Eh Tutulady, wea you stay work Campbells? I no stay dea anymoa wen quit my job and stay retired early ova hea I used to drive one blue and white Chevy Silverado with one aluminum pipe rack. Dakine my co-worker probably still drive em to Sassy's when he stay dea instead of in town wea we stay based.

pablo137
October 2nd, 2004, 12:41 AM
Eh Tutulady, wea you stay work Campbells? I no stay dea anymoa wen quit my job and stay retired early ova hea I used to drive one blue and white Chevy Silverado with one aluminum pipe rack. Dakine my co-worker probably still drive em to Sassy's when he stay dea instead of in town wea we stay based.I stay work on Kauhi Street, just down da road in back owah place stay Sassy's. Oney shot distance li'dat, can walk um... he go. Owah company (da kine pest control kine) stay sharing warehouse/office space wit one custom cabinet company. Us guys stay right across Mutual Welding (but dey wen close up shop awready) and mauka side of us is get da kine, PortaBox Storage.

Ayaah I tink I wen spock da truck you stay talkin about. Nex time my turn fo go get lunch, I going check em if da truck stay aroun dea. :D

craigwatanabe
October 2nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Eh braddah Pablo, I stay used to work for The Gas Company so goin get the logo's on da side doors. You can tell us buggahs because we stay wear da blue Nomex coveralls. Gotta yeah jus in case get one fire.

Next time you go eat at Sassy's (you too Tutulady) eat one #1 Broke da Mout Teri plate for me okay? Man I miss dat one!

helen
October 2nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Had a late lunch of BBQ Chicken and Hamburger Steak from L&L Drive In.

Albert
October 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM
Ham and cheese on a roll from a Sodexho vending machine. The only hot option left was their awful chili-and-rice which I have vowed NEVER to eat again.

LikaNui
October 6th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Quizno's.
A roast beef and cheddar sub and a cup of clam chowder.
Pricier than Subway but a helluva lot better too.

pzarquon
October 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Mmm... crispy spring rolls, sweet walnut shrimp and vegetarian mushu at Little Village Noodle House on Richards Street in Chinatown. Moblogged here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii).

adrian
October 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
two saimin cups w/ spam

kamlost
October 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM
spring rolls and a vegetable dish.

Tutulady
October 6th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Eh braddah Pablo, I stay used to work for The Gas Company so goin get the logo's on da side doors. You can tell us buggahs because we stay wear da blue Nomex coveralls. Gotta yeah jus in case get one fire.

Next time you go eat at Sassy's (you too Tutulady) eat one #1 Broke da Mout Teri plate for me okay? Man I miss dat one!Ay sos! I posted my response befo' I wen check if was me or da hubby was signed in! Auwe, make "A" li'dat! :eek: :o

helen
October 6th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Pasta with chicken and mushroom.

Albert
October 7th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Pork Chow Fun.

Got my MDR for sodium, all in one meal ... for a week.

kamlost
October 18th, 2004, 02:32 AM
This filipino dish my friend cooked.

Albert
October 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Farmer John's liverwurst on Kaiser rolls from Safeway, with two "vine-ripened" tomatoes.

$1.18 for two very small tomatoes! I need a garden.

helen
October 19th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Chicken bake and a hot dog.

kamlost
October 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM
chinese - noodle dish and something else.

Albert
October 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Got a bowl of stuff from UH-Manoa's "Yummy Food Court" salad bar.

Cold scrambled egg must be what they call an "acquired taste". I don't seem to have acquired it.

pzarquon
October 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Roast duck and oyster sauce choy sum on stewed noodle from Mini Garden in Chinatown. Delicious! They're going to be closing that location soon (to move, it's rumored, by Jimbos on South King), so get it while you can!

hikiee
October 24th, 2004, 08:08 PM
I just had some taro root chips for lunch :/

helen
October 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Pastrami sandwich from Subway.

kamlost
October 24th, 2004, 09:32 PM
spaghetti and crackers. I wanted ice cream but there's none.

Mmm subway has nice breads.

Albert
October 25th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Big Mac and small fries, yesterday.

Been so long since I ate one of those things, I'd forgotten what a messy burger it is.

kamlost
October 25th, 2004, 02:29 PM
crackers and soup. I'm not feeling very well.

helen
October 25th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Hope you feel better! In any event, I had roast pork and fried rice for lunch today.

AuntieNellieKulolo
October 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread yesterday, probably same thing today.

Albert
October 26th, 2004, 09:21 AM
"Peanut butter and honey sandwich"

One of my favorite things as a child was peanut butter and apple jelly sandwiches. But with honey, I never tried.

craigwatanabe
October 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM
When I was a kid I used to make peanut butter/honey/apple slice sandwiches. The apple slices gave it a nice crunchy texture to it.

kamlost
October 26th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Helen!

mmm peanutbutter/apple slices and jelly! I'd actually use goober grape and apples. I've never tried it with honey.

Lunch today is soup and toast.

AuntieNellieKulolo
October 27th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Try 'em with banana- it's one of my favorite foods from hanabata daze...
I've never tried apple-something new to vary my lunch routine.
I'm eating a PB&H sandwich as I am typing(fo' real!)
:D

kamlost
October 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM
yes.. it's lovely with banana.

peanut butter and butter is nice too.

I'm having soup and toast again :(

pzarquon
October 28th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Got lazy yesterday. A Big & Tasty from McDonald's. Oh well. At least I can collect some Monopoly pieces...

Albert
October 28th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Ryan said: "At least I can collect some Monopoly pieces..."

Booo! Never got one with a Big Mac.

pzarquon
October 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Booo! Never got one with a Big Mac.I think they come primarily on the drinks, sadly. Unless you eat their new premium chicken bits, which is where the "bonus" pieces are.

Looks like you can play online this time. According to the official site (http://codeentry.promotions.com/monopoly/us/splash.do): "6 oz. Large Fries, 3/5- and 10-piece Chicken Selects®, 21- and 32-oz. soft drinks and hash browns carry unique codes."

Albert
October 29th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Went to the salad bar at UH-Manoa's Yummy Food Court again. Bad idea, feeling hungry and going to one of those charge-by-weight places, because you put more in your bowl than you soon discover you didn't really want to eat.

kamlost
October 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM
tater chips and oranges

pzarquon
October 29th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Min kal-bi plate from Family BBQ at the Airport Trade Center.

helen
October 29th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Candy from various places at work due to it being Halloween. Of course one co-worker gave me a bottle of water for trick or treat, which sort of helped wash it down.

kamlost
October 31st, 2004, 05:22 PM
Soup again

helen
October 31st, 2004, 06:51 PM
A late lunch of a hot dog from that vendor on the Ala Moana CompUSA site.

helen
November 2nd, 2004, 07:05 AM
Very lunch of a post-voting traditional meal of a Jack-in-the-Box Ultimate Cheeseburger. Plus an added Jumbo Jack washed down with a bottle of Gatorade.

adrian
November 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
I just came back from having a spam musubi (covered in some thick sause), a "vending machine sized" bag of Sun Chips, and a can of Nestea.

Not bad for $3.75, but the food here is so expensive. I don't know how you "downtown" people can handle it.

pzarquon
November 4th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Yesterday, my dad treated me to lunch at Kincaid's at Ward Warehouse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1245804_f29b9b7368_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/1245804/)

Mmm... kal bi. I can never get enough of the stuff!

kamlost
November 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
some fried rice.

helen
November 6th, 2004, 12:27 PM
BBQ Chicken and Hamburger Steak plate lunch and a large Mountain Dew from Mahalo Drive Inn (http://www.hawaiistories.com/archives/006021.shtml).

pzarquon
November 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I'm in California, staying in Little Tokyo in downtown Los Angeles. Today I walked across the street from the hotel to eat at East Japanese Restaurant, where I had a combination teri chicken and tempura teishoku.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1308854_216402aed7_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/1308854/)

More photos from my trip (as I snap them!) can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii).

kamlost
November 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM
zucchini salad and some pasta!

helen
November 10th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Noodles and black bean chicken plate lunch from U-Choice Drive Inn.

helen
November 11th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Albert and I went to Taqueria La Michoacana which is located on the corner of Kalauokalani Way and Makaloa Street. I had the soft taco and buritio.

Albert
November 12th, 2004, 01:06 PM
"Albert and I went to Taqueria La Michoacana"

Sigh. If the Weekly had not given this place a review last week, I'm sure I would never have known about it.

Extraordinarily bland "Mexican food". I had their #1 Lunch Special which was an enchilada stuffed with what was supposedly beef, some re-fried beans and rice which might have been three days old. Although the place opens at ten in the morning and we were there shortly after noon, they were already "sold out" of tamales (!?).

Sorry. It goes on my list of places to avoid.

kamlost
November 14th, 2004, 12:36 AM
I had corn and some chips, sweets.

AuntieNellieKulolo
November 15th, 2004, 04:09 AM
"Albert and I went to Taqueria La Michoacana"

Sigh. If the Weekly had not given this place a review last week, I'm sure I would never have known about it.

Extraordinarily bland "Mexican food". I had their #1 Lunch Special which was an enchilada stuffed with what was supposedly beef, some re-fried beans and rice which might have been three days old. Although the place opens at ten in the morning and we were there shortly after noon, they were already "sold out" of tamales (!?).

Sorry. It goes on my list of places to avoid.

Too bad. I was mentally adding it to my list of places to try when I go back home, but I guess I'll stick to El Burrito. You can't beat their cheese enchiladas with mole sauce...

kamlost
November 25th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Chinese food.

helen
November 25th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Turkey diner special at the Big City Diner at the Ward Theater complex.

adrian
November 30th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Just came back from Ala Moana's Food court where I went to Patti's Chinese Kitchen for some Beef Brocolli, Fried Rice, and Orange Chicken for about $7. (it was more filling than the $4 bentos they have at school).

glossyp
December 1st, 2004, 09:32 AM
In the midst of Christmas shopping (deadline for those packages to Japan is nigh!), I had a McDonald's Happy Meal (cheeseburger). They asked if it was for a boy or a girl which flustered me. Turns out they are giving away figures/toys from the movie The Incredibles - I got a cool car which I gave to my sweetie and he loves it! Can't beat the price of just about $3.

pzarquon
December 1st, 2004, 10:36 AM
I got a cool car which I gave to my sweetie and he loves it!This isn't food related, but I just wanted to say, I like that black "Incredibles" toy car. I know there's not much a megacompany can do to make a toy interesting considering the few cents they can spend to manufacture each, so when one of those little trinkets turns out to be different, I notice. (Wendy's for example tends to have the quirkiest, usually less overtly commercial kids' meal toys.) That pull-back car? It's the first I've seen with a "two-stage engine"! You pull it back, it takes off just like any other toy car... but halfway down it's wings pops out and it shifts into a higher gear and speeds off even faster.

The things they can do these days... :)

Off to try the new Italian restaurant that replaced Sbarro's at King and Alakea...

Albert
December 1st, 2004, 12:55 PM
Well, in today's Weekly there is another mention of a Mexican restaurant in town (on Kapahulu) so I guess I'll have to give it a try.

But as for the first day of December, I haven't had lunch yet. No matter, not even two o'clock yet.

glossyp
December 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Off to try the new Italian restaurant that replaced Sbarro's at King and Alakea...

That's Spada right? Please report on your experience. Ms. K from the Star didn't sound impressed so I'd like a second opinion!

pzarquon
December 2nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Spada Bar & Restaurant, indeed! We got there a little before noon, but there were still a few tables open... not sure if that's a good sign for a new, high-profile downtown eatery.

Cameraphone photos can be seen here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/tags/spada/)!

The food was okay, but not spectacular. My friend Lisa's chicken pesto pizza was the only dish that seemed to qualify as a meal (on the basis of sheer mass), and had the most taste of any dish on the table. My friend Peter's cannelloni was passable for an under-$10 dish, but the portion was also small -- he finished it in five minutes, tops. My fettuccini was bland (though I admit I don't usually appreciate the subtlety of fancy cheese dishes) -- even though the portion was small, I didn't finish it.

My favorite part of the meal was the calamari appetizer and the free bread -- they brought both a kind of cornbread and something resembling nan bread. (Sadly, I'm not an expert on breads.)

Soft drinks were $2. Peter ordered a pineapple juice, and it came in a tiny glass with lots of ice. He ended up getting a soda on the house.

Our server, a Colorado native, was impossibly friendly (she agreed $3 for a tiny cup of pineapple juice was outrageous), but perhaps overwhelmed and seemed to forget various tables. Our longest wait was for someone to collect our payment.

I think a sit-down, table-service restaurant in downtown only works if speed is as important a factor to you as quality. Spada didn't seem to do either well. I'd take the wait if the food rocked, or take crappy food for fast service... but something in between wasn't terribly inspiring.

glossyp
December 3rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the report! You hit it on the head regarding the time+food quality+price does not=good value. I won't be hurrying down there anytime soon. BTW, why did you order the cheesey sauce anyway??? JK! The photos were great.

pzarquon
December 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
http://photos2.flickr.com/1893385_cc5c2a6e0d_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/1893385/)

Went to Hifune (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/1893117/) in the Chinatown Cultural Plaza (at the Ewa end of Chinatown) yesterday. Known for their tempura, I actually opted for salmon shioyaki. My lunchmates both ordered tempura, but requested only vegetables, no shrimp. The server brought their shrimp plate accidentally, but did take it back and return with a veggie-only plate a little while later. Same price, a fuller plate, tasted great!

helen
December 4th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Normally I would head over to Mahalo Drive Inn (formally the L&L Drive Inn #12 on Young Street) for the weekly BBQ Chicken and Hamburger Steak special but I got a gathering to head to this afternoon so I am just munching on Granola bars and sipping on a can of Mountain Dew while I am doing the laundry.

kimo55
December 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM
... so I am just munching on Granola bars and sipping on a can of Mountain Dew while I am doing the laundry.

ho man dat sound like a usual lunch for me too!

but today:
pulled out that big box o pizza bagels ya get at Costco for 10 bux.
heated them and put on top of them, with a slice of cheese, the below:

made some guacamole.
You can do it too!

costco have avos for just 4 and change for 4 ripe avos.
Usually they are 2.50 and up. each.

ok.
so, the meat of two avos.
4 tablespoons of mayo.
4 different hot chile peppers. BIG juicy fresh kine.
big handful of olives from da can. pitted of course.
about half bunch of scallions. (green onions.)

teaspoon at most, of Vegit.
throw it all in the blender. Just give it a few "pulse" pumps. don't blend till too liquid.
ho. so ono. broke da mout'.

(this also works very well as insect repelling grout, for those loose tiles you may see around da house!)

IF... I had them, woulda also thrown in:
tomatoes
chinese parsley - aka cilantro.
maui onions
garlic.

next time!

kimo55
December 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
That pull-back car? It's the first I've seen with a "two-stage engine"! You pull it back, it takes off just like any other toy car... but halfway down it's wings pops out and it shifts into a higher gear

shhhhtttt... i want one!
usta make them ol model cars same kine, back inna 60's.

and one oddah kine; wind up da rubbah band mowdah.
den da buggah crash and fall into pieces when it hits da wall.
ho, da good fun.

kamlost
December 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Leftovers *groans*

how's everyone?

helen
December 10th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Cold cuts and cheese with a can of Mountain Dew.

pzarquon
December 10th, 2004, 06:38 PM
http://photos2.flickr.com/2091965_6c70c88189_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/2091965/)

Today, I met a food guru downtown for lunch at Indigo (http://www.indigo-hawaii.com/). Between us we ate both off the buffet and off the menu, plus appetizers and a decadent "chocolate cloud" dessert.

kamlost
December 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
some good ol'adobo

helen
December 16th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Roast beef, fried rice, mix of non-green salads and a bottle of Pepsi Edge.