X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starblecchs

Good article by Dave Barry re; the usual kookiness served up by starblex

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...nt/9872714.htm

where he reminds all us sheep ; don't play into the hands of the insidious marketing people by actually verbally ordering a venti.
    No. It's big.
    or large.
    venti!?
    Means 20 in Italian. But the coffe actually is a 24 oz. cup.

there's small
    medium
    large.
    If these multinational corporations wanna create another language all their own, and rename everything we have been familiar with all our lives, fine. lettem do it on their own, and lettem keep it their own lil private language. used behind their own counter.

btw: ever get a large ice coffee there?
    (ice venti)
    Try this;
    Order a small coffee.
    (or tall) whatever ya wanna call it. But get a small coffee.
    get a big cup fulla ice.
    Pour the coffee in the big (venti) cup.
    see how much you use.
    Last edited by kimo55; October 11, 2004, 08:45 AM.

Re: Starblecchs

caveat emptor , yeah? If the young upwardly mobile folks want to waste their money buying venti iced coffee from Bucky's, then let 'em, Kimo! It's helping my SBUX shares soar up to almost $50! With that 11 cent increase in all drink prices, I see stock split in the very near future. They could always go to 7-11 and buy the same for what? $1.99? Of course, the mystique of the cup logo isn't quite the same...

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It simply amazes me when I am forced to walk into a SB with my friends and am befuddled with the choices of coffee. "I just want a cup of coffee!" I tell the bartender(?) Then my friends rattle off something in French or Italian or something that's supposed to say coffee with something or other.

I stand back feeling a bit intimidated at the young crowd drinking their coffee flavored cream thinking they're enjoying a good cup of java. I take one sip and tell the guy serving the mud that this brew is burnt and I want a fresh cup of coffee and not something out of a thermos.

And then I realize that these kids in here don't even know what a good cup of coffee is supposed to taste like all flavored up like that. Starbucks is all they've drank since being weened off of sodas. All they know is Starbucks as bad as it tastes to boot!

I make my own coffee. I own one 1960's Toastmaster stainless steel percolator (the best way to brew coffee) for those moments of pure coffee pleasure, and one BrewMaster drip coffee maker when I'm just lazy.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        I make my own coffee. I own one 1960's Toastmaster stainless steel percolator (the best way to brew coffee) for those moments of pure coffee pleasure, and one BrewMaster drip coffee maker when I'm just lazy.
        Eh Craig, da next ting you gotta do is roast your own coffee! You stay near what's supposed to be one of da best coffee beans in da world (although I tink Kauai coffee is a better value...but dat's a whole nother story). Anyway, you can go buy da green beans, roast 'em yourself (I hear you can even use one of dose air popcorn poppers), and den brew it up! Actually, you could probably raise your own beans in your back yard! I get one coffee plant growing insai da house...get nice shiny leaves, but I no tink I going eva get coffee off dat sucka!

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Or buy a Krups grinder, a bag of beans from Superior, and do it yourself in a French press. Not that I do, but we own the latter. I bought the grinder when I worked at Lion and the big perk was four free bags a month (the 10-oz. size, unfortunately...we always ran out by the 15th).
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            Or buy a Krups grinder, a bag of beans from Superior, and do it yourself in a French press. Not that I do, but we own the latter. I bought the grinder when I worked at Lion and the big perk was four free bags a month (the 10-oz. size, unfortunately...we always ran out by the 15th).

yep, dass da "A" list.

krups grinder.
            Lion beans.
            French press.

I make TOOO much java so i use drip kine. 3 cups a day one person.
            I know, I know. Will die young.
            But I will die with a smile on my face and a jag on my nerves.

Comment

Das going too far! Grinding coffee takes too long for my caffeine habit. Plus I may get too used to it so I prefer out of the can or ground at the supermarket where by the way I buy my shoyu Ahi!!

With the percolator if I need another cup and no mo grinds den I run fresh water right thru the old grind and perk da hell outta it. Heck I've reconstituted that lava crud at the bottom of the office carafe after someone left the burner on overnight with a pot of coffee on top to make my equivalent of Starbucks black and burnt expresso. Really, you can't tell the difference and boy does it pop those tired eyes open really quick!

The day I grind my own coffee is the day someone buys me a grinder with a timer on it (hint hint).

Comment

The day I grind my own coffee is the day someone buys me a grinder with a timer on it (hint hint).
                I get one burr grinder we not using. Wat? You like me send it to you? Oni ting about dis grinder is cleaning out da ting kinda hard. Odda wise da ting automatically will do a bunch of beans in I tink 6 different settings, depending on dakine coffee maker you using. Just PM me wit your address and I go send it to you. We using one cheap Braun grinder now.

Miulang

Comment

Ho wow I gotta clean em myself? What kind present is dat? But shoot anyting free is good to me. Eh Miulang, wat you like from Big Island? I wen try go pass your friends house yestaday but kinda spooky looking for dakine address going 50-mph in one 15-mph zone in one AstroVan. Ho braddah da buggah wen airborn after going ova one mound in da road and get plenty of em dea.

Shoot lata I PM you but I no can take em if you no like someting from da homestead!

Comment

Ho wow I gotta clean em myself? What kind present is dat? But shoot anyting free is good to me. Eh Miulang, wat you like from Big Island? I wen try go pass your friends house yestaday but kinda spooky looking for dakine address going 50-mph in one 15-mph zone in one AstroVan. Ho braddah da buggah wen airborn after going ova one mound in da road and get plenty of em dea.

Shoot lata I PM you but I no can take em if you no like someting from da homestead!
                    Tell you wat: probably next year wen me and da kane go make our annual trip to da 'aina (Maui), I tink we going holoholo ka'a ova to da Big Island (every year we try to visit one different island). Maybe den we can go meet foa lunch and you can kokua scout out some property foa us. Sound like one deal? Eida dat, or you growing papayas in your yard? Dakine we buy up hea not so onolicious even if da label stay say "Hawaii". And Hilo papayas sooo tasty! Wheneva I stay on Maui, I go Ooka Supermarket and go buy da Hilo papaya.

Miulang

P.S. Hacum one smokey bear neva wen go catch you? You guys so far in da sticks da police no like hang out ova dere in Kea'au or wat?

Comment

Working...
                    X