Potential public health catastrophe looms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential public health catastrophe looms

While the political parties try to out-testosterone each other on the war in Iraq, the economy and homeland security, a possible public health catastrope is on the horizon for all citizens of the US that is not getting enough attention.

Once you get past all the media hype and panic about the shortage of flu vaccine because Chiron, the British manufacturer, has been shut down for 3 months by the British government for contaminated product, US health care clinics and doctors face the task of rationing half of the vaccine they were expecting. What makes this galling in some ways is that the CDC in late August had warned the Administration that the manufacturer of 50-90% of the US supply (Chiron) was in serious difficulty due to contamination of its vaccine during the manufacturing process, but the government kept quiet.

Now we are faced with a case of rationing, because it is too late for the only other producer of injectable vaccines, Aventis, to ramp up to produce more vaccine.

The public health of our citizens is as important as Homeland Security. The rationing guidelines state that anyone who is "healthy" should opt out of having a shot this year. In 2000 and 2002, there were also shortages of the injectable vaccine, but there were also more manufacturers producing the shots. This year, there were only 2 in the world meeting our standards with whom we did business.

Since 2002, instances of avian bird flu have become epidemic in Asia and there are many scientists all over the world studying the 1918 influenza pandemic that swept the world and killed hundreds of thousands of people. (They have discovered that bird flu can be contracted by people). Scientists have all but conceded the fact that another influenza pandemic could occur soon.

National and state public health bugets in this country have steadily been eaten away since the 1970s in favor of more "sexy" issues. If we don't have a healthy population, how can the economy improve?

For those of you who are not in one of the high risk categories (and even if you are, but can't get a shot because there aren't any available) about the only things you can do during this upcoming cold and flu season are: wash your hands constantly and stay away from crowds. Do your Christmas shopping now so you can avoid the huge crowds at the mall in late November and December. Or, do what the Asians do: wear a facemask when venturing outdoors.

Miulang

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6183476/
    Last edited by Miulang; October 11, 2004, 10:02 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Potential public health catastrophe looms

As a primary caregiver I thought I should try to get a shot; I tried with my health care provider and was told I couldn't get one.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Even Dubya's hometown newspaper, the Lone Star Iconoclast, believes it's a travesty that we don't have a way of dealing nationally with crises like the shortage of flu vaccine. Why were we outsourcing the manufacture of the vaccine anyway? If biological warfare is ever waged on us, do we have the infrastructure to produce an antidote?

Miulang

More here: http://www.iconoclast-texas.com/Colu...ditorial41.htm
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Wait a minute...I smell conspiracy here. Okay which candidate wants to import drugs from overseas or from Canada because it's cheaper? And if it can be proved that an adequate supply of imported drugs cannot be guaranteed...then is it safe to medicate and insure the medical healthiness of those needing drugs if the drugs cannot be manufactured in the quantities neccessary for America's dependance on drugs?

Something smells pretty fishy here that during an election year and the flu season, the flu medication is in short supply. Who is trying to use this incident to argue that fact?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          Wait a minute...I smell conspiracy here. Okay which candidate wants to import drugs from overseas or from Canada because it's cheaper? And if it can be proved that an adequate supply of imported drugs cannot be guaranteed...then is it safe to medicate and insure the medical healthiness of those needing drugs if the drugs cannot be manufactured in the quantities neccessary for America's dependance on drugs?

Something smells pretty fishy here that during an election year and the flu season, the flu medication is in short supply. Who is trying to use this incident to argue that fact?
          Craig! Put down that tinfoil hat!

I don't really think that Britain's FDA equivalent can be suborned into pushing for a particular American presidential candidate. Chiron had serious contamination problems at their plant.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            Craig! Put down that tinfoil hat!

I don't really think that Britain's FDA equivalent can be suborned into pushing for a particular American presidential candidate. Chiron had serious contamination problems at their plant.
            True, but Chiron's CORPORATE HQ is in California...Hmmmm...

Miulang

Comment

In tomorrow night's final Presidential debate, do you think they'll bring up this public health issue? Bet not.

It's a serious problem, and it will only get worse unless the next Administration does something to fix the situation and create incentives for US drug companies to get back into the business of public health.

It's not just about the scarcity of flu shots, which are open market items. It's also about not enough shots of stuff the government already subsidizes, like measles and whooping cough vaccine for our kiddies.

Miulang

Comment

More information on the looming problem of scarce flu injections. It's another report that confirms that the Administration was told in mid-September that Chiron's plant in Liverpool was having problems with bacterial contamination and sat on it until last week. The story below also details how Chiron ended up with the plant. Too bad our eroding public health care system probably won't be one of the topics discussed at tomorrow night's debate. It's a critical and urgent matter that whoever wins will have to tackle immediately. Would be interesting to hear how each side would respond to a question about this issue.

More here:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Oct8.html

Miulang

Comment

Eh no make fun of my hat!!! dammit! Since it picks up HBO mo bettah on my tooth fillings.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X