King Kamehameha: Battle For Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Kamehameha: Battle For Paradise

So; the possibility of a revered icon of our Hawaii may soon get the dreaded "Hollywood treatment"; to be made just another cartoon-ish character, his exploits or what the screenwriter and producers THINK the amerikan public want to see as his exploits, may end up on the silver screen. Along with the accompanying merchandising, degredation and trivialization of a, well "sacred icon" of the people of Hawaii.
    This may happen whether he or his lineage likes it or not. Whether the land and people who own the cultural proprietary rights to this man and his image and his story like it or not. Whether or not the people closest to this iconic historical figure and who know and respect it the most, like it or not.

Was watching Keala Kelly talk last nite on Olelo and she mentioned the screenwriter doing this story went back to Hollywood and possibly it maybe was Don Brown (Hawaii reel Stories) that had footage of the guy actually telling the execs; "Oh yea. i have alotta interest, support, and enthusiasm on this project from Hawaii." which is a big lie! He lied to the people in that room. Keala and Haunani Trask points out; "Yea but that was california" in other words of course they lie about something like that to get what they want... they will do this . That is california. And anyone in Cali will believe. But they come here and they will NOT see any suppoort of a project of this nature.

The trivialization and commodification of the amerikan merchandising machine knows no limitations or bounds. Amerika has done it with "tiki", "Hula", "Luau" and now are going after another major aspect of a land they just can't seem to leave alone.
    Last edited by kimo55; October 12, 2004, 10:22 AM.

Re: Lights. Camera. Exploitation. King Kamehameha-The Movie

Would you prefer that Americans remain uneducated about the kingdom and the history of Hawaii? You don't know what the movie is going to be like, so don't knock it before you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
      Would you prefer that Americans remain uneducated about the kingdom and the history of Hawaii? You don't know what the movie is going to be like, so don't knock it before you try it.
      Americans will STILL be uneducated about the kingdom and the history of Hawaii even after this production and it's fallout.
      In fact, they will be imbued with MUCH misinformation and a completely different perspective on the subject as opposed to what would be effected if a local knowledgable production company were involved.
      You don't seem to see the obvious; NO locals will be consulted to see this production will be completed in a pono fashion.

You ask what I prefer? I prefer to see a local indigenous production on the subject.

I WILL knock it before i see it. For alllll the above reasons.

You miss the gist of the post. Most any adult is very cognizant of the treatment of Hawaiian subjects by the Hollywood machine. And how it is appropriated, watered down and assimilated into and by American pop culture.
      Most any and every adult in the island who has been following the "progress" of this subject is aware of the lack of respect directed at the subject thus far, and the butcher job that will most assuredly ensue.
      So I WILL knock it before I see it. And this kind of dialogue is meant to educate so hopefully many will learn this is NOT the direction things should take, and hopefully we find options and alternatives.
      Last edited by kimo55; October 12, 2004, 12:35 PM.

Comment

documentary - fine - but with the help of at least 5 hawaiian historians.

movie - hollywood - bad combination.

If you think educating people has to be done through movies. Think again. Movies can actually distort everything, like what Kimo is saying.

Comment

I agree it'll be a disaster on the cultural points, but then again, if Michael Bay can make "Pearl Harbor," frankly, nothing is sacred. Sure, I think the fact that millions will flock to the theaters to see The Rock play King Kamehameha might fill people's head with all sorts of misconceptions (depending on what The Rock does between battle scenes), but hell... how many Americans today do you think even know King Kamehameha existed in the first place? Or that there was a sovereign monarchy established here in Hawaii before annexation?

The Rock's King Kamehameha might sleep with too many girls or wield a weapon the wrong way, but if it puts even the basic framework of what he was doing into the imaginations of his young fans, I'd say it can be (can be, mind you) a net plus. Hell, just having people able to pronounce Kamehameha would be a nice change...

After all, over in the "Hawaii" on NBC thread, when I said the "dig up a princesses bones" plot line made me uncomfortable, you wrote that viewers would "at least come away from the subject with a little more respect than before. (and maybe a lil more curiosity..) which is not a bad side effect."

So. I too say there's no point in counting (dead?) chickens before they're hatched. Let's see what we get, and pick the rotten vegetable to throw accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
            If you think educating people has to be done through movies. Think again. Movies can actually distort everything.

many movies have come out of the hollywood machine recounting famous events, , or covering exploits of a particular personage or culture or country;
            windtalkers, alamo, pearl harbor, whatevahs. THEN, all hell breaks loose when a group gets up in arms and yells that it is not historically accurate. Course not. as we are pointing out here, Hollywood doesn't make accurate documentaries. It makes colorful cartoonish actionfilled stories and the central figure is actually secondary. as long as they pull in the huge numbers at the box office, all is well, in their eyes. they do not and will not do justice to an historical personage such as the one in question.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              , but hell... how many Americans today do you think even know King Kamehameha existed in the first place? Or that there was a sovereign monarchy established here in Hawaii before annexation?

The Rock's King Kamehameha might sleep with too many girls or wield a weapon the wrong way, but if it puts even the basic framework of what he was doing into the imaginations of his young fans, I'd say it can be (can be, mind you) a net plus. Hell, just having people able to pronounce Kamehameha would be a nice change...
              there are those of the mind that think thousands across america trying to pronounce kamehameha would not be a good thing.
              and some may think the end doesn't justify the means; "Having the rock sleep with alotta girls or wield a weapon in the wrong fashion".

" Or that there was a sovereign monarchy established here in Hawaii before annexation?"
              there is a possibility this may not even be covered in the movie.

Having him in the imaginations of thousands.. millions of young spoiled american kids across the nation... some things should just be left alone. Then these kids will want the Kamehameha gameboy nintendo xbox whatevahs things. There's no end in sight of how His memory, name, the Hawaiian culture will be abused, exploited, misinterpreted, justifying all kindsa abominable merchandising.
              Originally posted by pzarquon
              over in the "Hawaii" on NBC thread, when I said the "dig up a princesses bones" plot line made me uncomfortable, you wrote that viewers would "at least come away from the subject with a little more respect than before. (and maybe a lil more curiosity..) which is not a bad side effect."
              I figured since it WAS shot and we were watching a done deal, tried to look at the bright side, and i saw a fairly well handled sensitive subject. This area of iwi kupuna is a little more general than the idea of a major studio in L.A. doing a biopic on an individual, revered, sacred personage of a pacific island culture that has already experienced much injustice caused by the hands of haoles. for too long of a time. since 1778.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                many movies have come out of the hollywood machine recounting famous events, , or covering exploits of a particular personage or culture or country;
                windtalkers, alamo, pearl harbor, whatevahs. THEN, all hell breaks loose when a group gets up in arms and yells that it is not historically accurate. Course not. as we are pointing out here, Hollywood doesn't make accurate documentaries. It makes colorful cartoonish actionfilled stories and the central figure is actually secondary. as long as they pull in the huge numbers at the box office, all is well, in their eyes. they do not and will not do justice to an historical personage such as the one in question.
                I seriously wonder if one can actually stop such a venture before it comes out. Or if production people would actually care to make something at least close to the truth. Unless it's all about making something so controversial and so far from the truth so a whole brouhaha erupts thus making more people want to go see it and voice the wrongness or rightness.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
                  I seriously wonder if one can actually stop such a venture before it comes out. Or if production people would actually care to make something at least close to the truth. Unless it's all about making something so controversial and so far from the truth so a whole brouhaha erupts thus making more people want to go see it and voice the wrongness or rightness.
                  Maybe the spirits of the ancients will cause "incidents" to occur during the filming that will spook the crew into mutiny. I mean, I don't wish anybody ill, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if some strange things happened during filming of such a picture if things are not all kosher with the kanaka maoli. I do hope they at least try to get a kahuna to bless the venture before they start. Otherwise, it could turn into another "Curse of King Tut".

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

King Kamehameha: Battle For Paradise

I know this movie has yet to be made but I couldn't think of anywhere better to post about it than here. Supposily the script is being revised and the movie should be going into production soon. I haven't heard any news on it for months now though. The reason I'm posting about it is because I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. What's your feelings about the story being told on the big screen and about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson taking on the role of King Kamehameha. I had read an article about some Native Hawaiians being opposed to it because of The Rock's Samoan, not Hawaiian linage.

Some articles about it...

http://movies.go.com/moviesdynamic/m...ovie?id=609801

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/51...html?fromint=1

http://www.countingdown.com/movies/3295182

- Lei

Sorry if this had been posted before. I didn't see anything on it.
                    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Re: King Kamehameha: Battle For Paradise

I've merged your post into an earlier "King Kamehameha" movie thread. Thanks for the links, though it appears there hasn't been much news since May.

Comment

Mahalo! I did a search and didn't see this!

Comment

Considering how fast news travel with regreads to TV or movies being filmed around here you figure something like this would make the rounds, but the first two web sites you cite make the lastest references to May 2004. And IMDb doesn't list this movie and Dwayne Johnson has 6 movies in the works for 2005 and 2006, none of them this movie.

If they are doing something now with this project it has nothing to do with filming it yet.

Comment

Yes, through some more research today it doesn't seem like much is being done. A interview I saw with The Rock a while back he talked about this movie, still saying that he is planning to take on the role but wanted the script to be "just right" before he'll tackle the project. So I guess it's still in the revision process?

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                              So I guess it's still in the revision process?
                              things like this will ALL...ways be "in the revision process" even up to the days of filming. Many's the time a revised script makes its way to the actor's trailers a day before shooting with changes for that day.

And no matter IF... a "star" tells the public:
                              "Oh the story gotta be respectful to the subject."
                              They have no control.
                              Things change. By the day. and IF... it comes down to them blowing the project and NOT getting ther negotiated points and/or salary, they WILL be a team player, and we WILL see a cartoonish travesty.
                              And 100% of the greenlighters, and 99% of the populace will see the rock as very big box office draw with another hit under his belt. And THAT is the only thing the Hollywood machine is interested in.
                              NOT preventing hurt feelings among a small island culture that has little sway.
                              Last edited by kimo55; March 22, 2005, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X