• Broadband Internet

I'm curious what you guys use DSL, Cable Modem, Wireless, Dial-up
    to access the Internet. I use Verizon DSL for 1.5Mbps/384K DSL
    circuit for 29.95 a month.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Broadband Internet

Same ting as you.

But I have to share it amongst 2 other computers on my LAN, so it can go slow sometimes (almost to dialup speeds).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I still use dialup at home because I try not to be on the puter at home for extended periods of time (that's what I do all day at work...on a T-1 line). Dialup can actually be useful...you rarely have problems with dialup, but cable tends to be prone to outages. I can't get DSL because I'm too far away from the local phone company.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm on a cable modem from Time Warner (Oceanic). They've brought their price down to $34.95. It's okay but yes, there are outages. These guys dominate the Hawaii market. Too bad there aren't any viable alternatives besides DSL from Verizon.
        Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

Originally posted by Quark
          I'm on a cable modem from Time Warner (Oceanic). They've brought their price down to $34.95. It's okay but yes, there are outages. These guys dominate the Hawaii market. Too bad there aren't any viable alternatives besides DSL from Verizon.
          Actually the 34.95 rate is good for only 6 months if your new customer who signs up in October for RR.

VOL has a deal you can get month to month 1.5Mbps/384
          DSL for free first month + 34.95 + 39.95 for the modem or
          if you sign up for a year it is 29.95 a month, free first month,
          free modem.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm on "sniff sniff" Dial up!

I used to have RR when I was in Honolulu, even had a dial up back up when RR got caught by the cayote and died. That's what I would tell my kids when RR was down. My wife hated me for telling the kids that.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

i'm on road runner. it wasn't a choice between technologies, really... road runner came to my area about 3 years ago. dsl just became available a few months ago.

Comment

Yeah I'm on Road Runner too, the 35 dollars isnt bad because I have it going to 8 computers... there is very little slow down suprisingly.

Comment

Originally posted by ili_g
                  i'm on road runner. it wasn't a choice between technologies, really... road runner came to my area about 3 years ago. dsl just became available a few months ago.

Actually when DSL was introduced to Hawaii in 1998, Hilo was one of
                  the first areas to get DSL. Granted for awhile only Kawailani and if
                  you lived near the super central office in downtown Hilo you could
                  get DSL. Now Verizon has put in remote DSLAMs, thus the availability of DSL
                  in Hilo has increased.

According to this map http://www.dslreports.com/comap/cy/551
                  Pacific Light Net Communications CO in Hilo-No DSL
                  Sandwich Isles Communications - No DSL
                  Verizon's Kawailani CO- DSL
                  Verizon Super CO in downtown Hilo-DSL
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Anyone hear about Earthlink's cable broadband?

Anyone hear about Earthlink's cable broadband at $41/mo., $19.95 for the first three months? No hidden fees. Installation included. Month-month contract. It's priced better than Road Runner's $34.95/mo. first six, then $44.95 thereafter. Sounds too good to be true, relatively.

Speaking of which, I'm installing broadband for my parents in Papaikou, outside Hilo on the Big Island, where DSL isn't even an option. At least with cable, the installation is done by their guys rather than my parents!

Comment

Originally posted by Quark

Sure there is! Subscribe to Dial Up and take drugs that will impair your ability to drive heavy equipment (amazing isn't it that those warnings are posted even if you're child 2yrs old or younger...check with your doctor to see if they can take the meds and drive a front-end loader ).

I'll guarantee that when those drugs kick in even dial up will seem lightning fast!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I recieved my first billing from "Hawaiian Telecom" Same charges as when it was "Verizon." I still get to pay my phone bill and Dial-up services together. I had DSL before on my hp. Then it went for service...finally got it back. I'll stick to Dial-Up.

There's a lot of painting going around and switching signs. The logo for Hawaiian Telecom is much better than Verizon's, I think. Reminds me of another telephone company that use to be here, Hawaiian Telephone.

Aunty Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We use dial-up and AOL/IE. Don't know the price, parents pay for it.

We're looking to get broadband/high speed/whatever, but we really have no clue where to start looking and I think the prices will give them heartattacks.

Anybody have any advice for us?
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                            Anybody have any advice for us?
                            Basically it boils down to two choices :

1. Verizon Online DSL

3.0Mbps/768K 29.95 w/ year contract 37.95 month to month
                            1.5Mbps/384K 29.95 w/ year contract 37.95 month to month

There is a 19.95 shipping charge and you might have to pay
                            for the modem if you go month to month. DSL is distance
                            sensitive- if you live too far away from the central office
                            or remote terminal you might only qualify for 1.5Mbps service
                            or you can't get DSL at all.Also bear in mind 9 months from May 2, 2005 there will be a transitionto the in house ISP being formed by Hawaiian Telcom to handle DSL accounts.

Also another note, if you go with a local ISP for DSL you will be paying
                            through the wallet, much much higher than Verizon Online. To get Verizon Online DSL call 643-3456

2. Oceanic Time Warner Road Runner. The standard rate is 44.95 a month.
                            They do have promotions for RR 34.95 for 6 month then the 44.95 rate kicks
                            in. There is Earthlink cable modem service, I believe its 41.00 a month
                            but they have promotions 29.95 for 6 months then regular rate kicks in

Edit: I would get Verizon Online if your line qualifies
                            https://www.hawaiiantel.com/psp/porg...OOKUP_COMP.GBL
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X