More redevelopment around Aloha Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More redevelopment around Aloha Tower

Looks like Aloha Tower is going to be gaining some new neighbors. What kinds of pluses and minuses do those of you who have to navigate that area envision? I know the traffic headache is one. But what are the others?

Miulang

Here: http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/13/news/index5.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: More redevelopment around Aloha Tower

It's a pretty ambitious plan, and who knows how much of it they'll actually get built. I think it's interesting that it's this plan that is supposed to get that HECO plant moved, considering that it was one of the major headaches engineers had to work around when they built the Aloha Tower Marketplace. I bet the developers for that project wished the state had the guts to tackle that HECO site back then.

The residential aspect is neat, too. That's a big part of what makes "urban renewal" work. The more people who actually live in Chinatown, the better the area seems to do. And I have no doubt they'll easily find people who want to live a block from work, a block from restaurants and nightclubs, yet on the waterfront.

Of course, traffic impact is what people will be looking at. The downtown trolley system is quite intriguing. Other improvements along Nimitz would be a big help, as will be the new planned parking facilities. Though it's probably only an engineering fantasy, though, the underwater bypass is my favorite idea in the long-term plan. Much of the slowdown along Nimitz is in that downtown area, even though a good chunk of the traffic just wants to get past it and head toward Ala Moana and Waikiki.

Then again, I remember plans to build an even more ambitious bypass bridge from Sand Island to, I think, Kakaako/Ward Avenue. It would ease traffic and spare tourists from driving through more industrial areas of town (not that Sand Island is a tropical paradise or anything). Considering the need for cruise and containerships to move around that area, though, it'd be Hawaii's own Golden Gate Bridge!

Still might be cheaper than even a short tunnel, though...
    Last edited by pzarquon; October 13, 2004, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X