CherryOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CherryOS

Evidently this software lets you emulate Mac software on a PC.
    It was home grown developed on Maui.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10...ryos/index.php
    http://www.cherryos.com/
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: CherryOS

Originally posted by Aaron S
    Evidently this software lets you emulate Mac software on a PC.
    It was home grown developed on Maui.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10...ryos/index.php
    http://www.cherryos.com/
    I could see this being useful if you had a DOS machine, but I thought Windoze was a Mac emulation for the PC?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Fascinating. And the fact that it's a Hawaii company is icing on the cake. I know folks who've used PearPC, and like it (provided they're using a high-end performance machine), but it sounds like the CherryOS product performs much better. Here's a Wired News piece on the project:
      Kryeziu said CherryOS runs to 36,000 lines of code and was inspired by open-source Mac emulator PearPC, but is not in any way based on it. "There's a big difference," he said. "They are way slow."

Comment

Cherry OS Mac Emulator: Vaporware?

For the past few days on the various Macintosh websites that I visit, mention has been made about the new Cherry OS emulator. What this software is supposed to do is emulate Mac OSX on a PC.

Numerous discussion and debate has occurred at various Mac sites, but now the thing has come to a head enough to make the front page of the Honolulu Star Bulletin today. Why? The firm that makes the emulator is from Maui.

You can read about this here:

Maui Firm Ignites Mac-PC firestorm

Maui X-Stream, which is primarily a developer of video streaming software, said Tuesday that it had devised a $49.95 "emulator" software system called Cherry OS that allows Apple's Macintosh operating system to be used on non-Apple PCs
        I have found emulation software to be significantly slower than running an OS on the hardware it was originally meant for. That said, this kind of software is good for people who need to access an alternate OS without having to pony up extra $$$$ for new hardware.

More discussion and articles at:

http://www.macintouch.com
        http://www.macobserver.com
        http://www.applelinks.com

Those are the Mac websites that I go to on a daily basis. There are a lot more places to read up further on this. Just do a Google search.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The skeptics, and I'm among them, have all but concluded that CherryOS is just a tweaked and repackaged version of PearPC, which I mentioned above. PearPC is open-source/GPL and is given away for free... so obviously, the allegation that this Maui company is trying to sell it is a big deal.

Here's a PearPC discussion forum where PearPC developers have asserted that CherryOS has stolen code. And the guy who wrote the Wired piece, which essentially took everything CherryOS said as fact, is having problems even testing a pre-release version.

The Star-Bulletin article is being linked everywhere... beware the Slashdot effect! This quote will be on everyone's minds as we await the official release:
          "Our lawyers have looked at this and say we're in the clear. We wrote this from scratch and we're clean as a whistle," he said.

Comment

I concur with pzarquon's observations...pretty much everyone who is technically qualified and experienced with emulator software has all but concluded that this is just a ripoff of PearPC. The fact that the company's marketing tactics are full of contradictions and questionable goings-on certainly doesn't help to quell the idea that CherryOS is just a big hoax.

Comment

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,65368,00.html

Despite being widely accused of code theft, fraud and other chicanery, the author of the controversial CherryOS Mac emulator is sticking to his guns: It's all on the up and up, says programmer Arben Kryeziu.

As previously reported, CherryOS purports to be a Mac emulator that allows Mac OS X to run on Windows PCs. The complex system was ostensibly written in four months by Kryeziu alone, who claims it performs at about 80 percent of the speed of the PC host's hardware.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I still don't get why a PC user (and I am one) would ever want to buy software that emulates a Mac? If I want superior graphics capability, I will buy a Mac. If I want a wider range of software applications to run on my platform, I will buy a PC. PCs that use Windows (and that usually comes loaded on most OEM machines today) are perfectly adequate and easy to use (yes, there are security issues, but that's not what we're talking about here). Ya just gotta know which tool to use, and when. There is no such thing as a "one-box-will-do-everything-equally-well machine", nor do I expect there to ever be one. The closest they ever came I think was the IBM OS/2, which would allow you to run 2 different operating systems on the same box. And that never really made it out of the box, either.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  I still don't get why a PC user (and I am one) would ever want to buy software that emulates a Mac? If I want superior graphics capability, I will buy a Mac. If I want a wider range of software applications to run on my platform, I will buy a PC. PCs that use Windows (and that usually comes loaded on most OEM machines today) are perfectly adequate and easy to use (yes, there are security issues, but that's not what we're talking about here). Ya just gotta know which tool to use, and when. There is no such thing as a "one-box-will-do-everything-equally-well machine", nor do I expect there to ever be one. The closest they ever came I think was the IBM OS/2, which would allow you to run 2 different operating systems on the same box. And that never really made it out of the box, either.

Miulang
                  Same for me on the fact that so many PC users want to make their windows desktop look like a Mac.

If I want simplicity, then I'd get a Mac, but I also use my computer for other things (computer games, school work, games, music, etc).
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Oh well I guess Cherry OS hit the fan with today's SB story about it.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Absolutely. In addition to the Star-Bulletin piece, Maui tech company denies stealing code, there's the Wired News piece, CherryOS not BS, Author Says. Most interestingly, one Dean Beeler has created this most helpful tracking page, recapping the case against Arben Kryeziu, CherryOS' supposed developer. The evidence compiled there is pretty damning, and it makes the Star-Bulletin seem almost complicit in Kryeziu's scam.

The most troublesome revelations? He's apparently stolen open source software to repackage and sell commercially before. Boo!

"Why would we try to pull a scam like this? To hurt ourselves?" software developer Arben Kryeziu said. "If we did something like that, it would ruin us for life."
                      Well, Beeler has a pretty good answer to the question as to Kryeziu's motives: To pimp his video product, which has been reliably linked and mentioned even when CherryOS has been drowned in the firestorm.

Note that the first Star-Bulletinarticle included a screenshot of Kryeziu's video product, not the Mac emulator the story was ostensibly about (and what is Crystal Kryeziu's relationship to all this?), and even the latest article includes a link to his video site (which crashed my browser, by the way).

The man got himself more exposure than millions of dollars in advertising - or actual, worthwhile product - could ever get.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; October 19, 2004, 09:41 PM.

Comment

It might also be interesting to note that the guy who owns the company also owns Paradise Broadcasting Co. on Maui. Paradise is the one that does those "things to do while on Maui" programs on Channel 7--the Visitor's Channel.

This reminds me of the battle between SCO (Unix) and its suit against Linux. SCO still is trying to go after IBM and some other Linux-based companies for code stealing.

Miulang

Comment

Sounds like Arben Kryeziu is keeping busy. While still promising a 2005 Q1 release of this amazing CherryOS product, he'll also be manning a video encoding terminal for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association following the Golden Globes. This came down the PRWire this morning (emphasis added):
                          Golden Globes Pick VX30 as Website Video Streaming Provider

After the Golden Globe winners claim their awards on Sunday, January 16, fans around the world will have a backstage pass, thanks to the revolutionary new video streaming technology of VX30(TM). By logging onto www.hfpa.org, visitors to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Website will experience the glamour and excitement of the press room as journalists from around the world interview the Golden Globe winners following presentation of awards in 24 categories. The video clips can be viewed on the Website throughout 2005.

VX30(TM) is ranked by www.playerless-streaming.org as the best playerless streaming solution on the market today. The software employs a patent-pending technology which allows for higher compression of video files. The dramatic reduction in file size results in significant cost savings on bandwidth usage. VX30(TM) instantly broadcasts TV-quality images over the Internet at 30 frames per second.

According to HFPA IT Director Erkki Kanto, "Over the course of the next year, we expect that hundreds of thousands of visitors to our Website will view the video clips from this year's award ceremony."

The simplicity and ease of use of VX30(TM) technology is evident in the single-man operation it will take to capture, automatically encode and post the Golden Globes video to the HFPA Website. Arben Kryeziu, developer of the software, will man the computer station himself.

About VX30(TM) and MXS, Inc.

VX30(TM) is a product of MSX, Inc., is a software and Website development company located on the beautiful tropical island of Maui, Hawaii. The company specializes in video streaming software. The products of Maui X-Stream can be viewed at www.msxinc.com.
                          Interesting that he maintains that "video streaming software" is his specialty, although the so-far-vaporware CherryOS remains the single biggest blip his company has ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            I still If I want superior graphics capability, I will buy a Mac. If I want a wider range of software applications to run on my platform, I will buy a PC. PCs that use Windows (and that usually comes loaded on most OEM machines today) are perfectly adequate and easy to use (yes, there are security issues, but that's not what we're talking about here). Miulang

well, methinks security is not the only or main issue, as we see, win doze is prone to bugs, crashes and other assorted maladies to a much greater extent than Mac. To even the top big cheeze at wondoze. In front of thousands. Where he should have the machines maxed out with tons of ram and ready to rocknroll. apparently is it is not even dependable then.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...019EST0249.DTL

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              well, methinks security is not the only or main issue, as we see, win doze is prone to bugs, crashes and other assorted maladies to a much greater extent than Mac. To even the top big cheeze at wondoze. In front of thousands. Where he should have the machines maxed out with tons of ram and ready to rocknroll. apparently is it is not even dependable then.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...019EST0249.DTL
                              How much you wanna bet da techie who was in charge of putting that demo together is not gonna be on Unco Bill's Christmas list next year?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X