Who's your bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's your bank?

I just want to see what bank you guys are with.

I'm with HawaiiUSA FCU.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Who's your bank?

I'm on the Hawaii banks black-list, can't get an account.

Back in the days when Bank of America was still here, I had a checking account. I wrote a check for more than I had in the account (naughty, naughty) and they paid it! I had wanted them to bounce the thing. So they tried to get the extra out of me and I ignored them.

So a few years later I tried to open an account at another bank and a couple of days later got a letter saying thanks, but no thanks.

(I wonder how long that black-list works?)

Comment

We bank with Honolulu Federal Credit Union. The only thing that's humbug is that you can't park in the federal building parking lot and it's a hassle to find street parking. They don't charge a minimum $ amount and don't charge for travelors checks. They do have a branch at the airport near the post office and the branch is open on Saturdays.
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Hawai'i State FCU, and City Bank.

Comment

www.cuhawaii.com
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

"Ask Mike, er, Al."

Could I possibly have banked anywhere other than my dad's employer?
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

The one where I keep my money is generally my bank. Not saying which one.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Credit unions aren't technically banks. They're pretty popular (I've got an account with the City & County FCU), but I wouldn't put all my eggs in their basket.

As for real banks... I've had accounts at Bank of Hawaii, American Savings Bank, and Hawaii National Bank. The basic function of banks is the same pretty much anywhere, so it's service that matters to me most. I know Bank of Hawaii says they'll "Bankohana you!" But read the fine print -- you need $10,000 in your accounts for them to give a damn. I liked ASB's business services. But for run-of-the-mill personal banking, small banks rock.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  I know Bank of Hawaii says they'll "Bankohana you!" But read the fine print -- you need $10,000 in your accounts for them to give a damn.
                  That's true. But it's not just your assets that count towards the minimum, it's also the liabilities. It includes all your accounts, including car loans from them, credit card accounts with them, open credit lines and IRAs, as well as ordinary checking and savings. It's not as hard to meet that threshold as you might think. One checking account and a $10K car loan and you're qualified.
                  Last edited by Linkmeister; October 16, 2004, 08:59 PM.

Comment

That's good to know, Link. But I don't have that much in either assets or liabilities, and as far as the latter, I don't think I wantthat... even if it means no friendly personal banker to pick up my drycleaning.

Comment

I have one account in a national bank for the convenience of the cash machines all over the country, and one in a local credit union, so my money in that account stays local and helps people in my community. I also have another credit union (different one) for my car loan. I'm thinking next time I'm in Hawaii, I'll also start a local checking account there, so I have ready access to some cash if I need it there (good thing Costco takes out of state checks! )

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        That's good to know, Link. But I don't have that much in either assets or liabilities, and as far as the latter, I don't think I wantthat... even if it means no friendly personal banker to pick up my drycleaning.
                        Mortgage, guy, mortgage.

Comment

http://www.hfsfcu.org/

minimum balance in the savings: $5. poor college student that i am, that's about all i can afford to keep in the bank!

Comment

Working...
                          X