Pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pets

It seems like everybody in the islands has a pet -- a dog, a cat, a bird, something! Almost every house in my neighborhood has a dog in the yard, and there are always cats around too.

Do you have pets? What kind? How many?

Re: Pets

We get 2 popoki: Shimai (so named because he was the last of his litter to be adopted) who is huuuuge (is now 19 lbs, used to be 25) and Hoku (because her "English" name before I adopted her was "Star"), and 7 colorful saltwater fishies: 2 tomato clowns, 2 Red Sea yellow damels (really mean buggahs these guys!) and 3 blue damsels living somewhat peacefully in a 45 gallon tank. We cannot get one dog because not fair to da dog to live in one condo!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.nahenahe.net/panther/secluded.html

"My" family of cats. I've been feeding the mama since she was a tiny kitten. Then she produced two children (and grandma moved away), then three more. Mercifully, one of the ladies who works so hard at the UH-Manoa campus to get the cats neutered managed to catch Mama (aka "Lady Grey") and she won't be producing any more. Only one of the latest batch still needs to be caught, the rest have been to the vet.

Comment

We have two dogs, a cockatiel, and five turtles. Here are the dogs...
        Attached Files

Comment

I live with a 12-year-old German short-haired pointer named Tigger (because she bounces).
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I have a dog, rabbit, bird, and hamsters, turtles too.

Comment

We have three dogs - Po, Shadow and Lucy. They are all boonie dogs (that's what poi dogs are called on Guam) and we brought them with us when we moved back to Hawaii. We also have three cats - Angus, Smokey aka "evil kitty" and Tucker. They are all from here. Angus was purchased for $5 at the pet store in the Dillingham Shopping Center almost 15 years ago, Smokey was adopted from the humane society 8 years ago and Tucker was rescued from our street starving with eyes glued shut from infection (he was less than 1 pound) this past July. I can't imagine life without animal companions - they don't care if you ate the last slice of pizza or if you're having a bad hair day and they are always happy to see you - could there be a more perfect relationship?
              P.S. Everyone should check out dogster.com and catster.com - very cool sites.

Comment

While we love pets, right now we have none. We 'ran out,' after our animal population slowly dwindled due to (mostly) natural causes.

Our last set of companions were cats, neighborhood strays, which we fixed and chipped but still let roam. I think a couple of them were later permanently adopted (or at least I hope that's what happened). One didn't get fixed in time and had kittens, the first I'd ever had to deal with, and while two were adopted, none ultimately survived for a variety of reasons.

At one point, we had two indoor cats, two outdoor dogs, a mix of parakeets and zebra finches and freshwater fish. The parakeets had free roam of the house, and we lost a few to torn window screens. The finches turned out to be surprisingly efficient parakeet exterminators when confined in a single cage...

Today, though, we have three kids, and they're "small frantic balls of energy" enough for now.

Comment

We have two dogs...one lab/golden retriever mix and also a chocolate lab. Kula & Coffee! And an assortment of guppies (never ending...since my sons pet project in 5th grade) and he's now 35! We used to have dwarf bunnies but they all went to bunny heaven.
                  Retired Senior Member

Comment

No pets currently. Grew up mostly with dogs as pets but we had a cat or two along the way.

Comment

I have:

3 cats: Xanax, Makanani, ‘Ukulele
                      1 Australian Shepherd: Kukui
                      One parakeet: ‘Ānuenue
                      One Beta fish: Blalah

PLUS: 2 Maremma Livestock Guardian dogs in da pasture: Pīkake and Puakea (both white)

7 sheep
                      2 pygmy goats
                      2 llamas
                      and 2 horses that we're boarding.
                      Aloha,
                      Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
                        I have:

3 cats: Xanax, Makanani, ‘Ukulele
                        1 Australian Shepherd: Kukui
                        One parakeet: ‘Ānuenue
                        One Beta fish: Blalah

PLUS: 2 Maremma Livestock Guardian dogs in da pasture: Pīkake and Puakea (both white)

7 sheep
                        2 pygmy goats
                        2 llamas
                        and 2 horses that we're boarding.
                        Wow! You get one regular animal farm, yeah? Good ting you get plennnnty land foa dakine sheep, goats and llamas (and da guest horsies)!

Miulang

P.S. I no tink I like know how da popoki Xanax wen go get his name.
                        Last edited by Miulang; October 20, 2004, 06:34 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey... do any of you know much about hamsters? Today, my other hamster attacked her companion and went straight for the throat, killed the poor thing and started eating it. THey have been getting along well though

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
                            Hey... do any of you know much about hamsters? Today, my other hamster attacked her companion and went straight for the throat, killed the poor thing and started eating it. THey have been getting along well though
                            I used to have a hamster ("Hamlet") long time ago. Was the one who died a male or a female? 2 boy hamsters probably would get along, and you know what happens when you put a boy and a girl hamster together , but 2 girl hamsters wouldn't do too good together.

Also, you don't have to worry too much about cold weather in Hawai'i, but one time I had Hamlet's cage near a window in the wintertime, and the poor thing went into suspended animation! I had to put him over a stove burner to thaw him out.

Miulang

Comment

ahh.. They were both girls. The shop-person said it's okay to put two girls together. I guess he was wrong.

LOL! poor hamlet - did that make him well-done?

Comment

Working...
                              X