No announcement yet.

Increased political recorded messages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased political recorded messages?

Has anyone else been receiving lots of these? I've gotten at least three from Cam Cavasso, several from Bainum and Hanneman, and I just got one from Dan Inouye (I'm so proud!) urging me to vote for Kerry and my local state representative.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Increased political recorded messages?

I've gotten two Cam Cavasso recorded messages in the past couple of weeks. Boy, are they annoying. If I was an undecided voter, Cam would lose my vote for using such a humbug tactic.

Comment

This subject came up late yesterday afternoon on Mike Buck's KHVH radio show. My suggestion: 1. Disconnect your answering machine or voice mail. 2. You own your answering machine and pay for your cell phone voice messaging. This is your media. Change your message greeting to indicate to callers that any form of advertising left on your device is billable at $XX rate per message. If someone or something leaves a message, note where the message came from, make a copy of both your outgoing and the incoming message (on a cheap cassette tape or MP3 file conversion if possible) and send it (like a tearsheet) to the campaign organization with a bill. If they refuse to pay, you can then file a complaint with the campaign spending commission.

It's a radical idea but may be worth trying. If everyone did this, political telemarketers would think twice about infesting voice mail with their pitches.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, that's indeed a radical idea. In my case, it hasn't risen to the point of aggravation yet. I don't remember it happening in any election year prior to this one, so I was curious if others had had similar calls, that's all.

Comment

I just put the phone down and let the recording continue while I walk away. When I decide to come back I just hang it up as if nobody was there. I do the same thing with live telemarketers who just don't understand the word "no" I treat them like a recording and walk away.

Once my wife was asked by a telemarketer if she'd like to switch long distance carriers she replied with a classic answer, "ummm I'm sorry I don't have a phone", and then she hangs up.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I received a Kerry one and a Dan Inouye one asking for a Kerry vote. What I can't stand is that the message goes on and on...in an emergency how would I use the phone...is there anyway to "hang it up" before it ends?
            Retired Senior Member

Comment

Charles Memminger at the Star-Bulletin writes what a lot of us are thinking:
              Candidates have a phone call hang-up
              The only thing you can do when you get a computer-generated, digital message phone call from a candidate is to slam the phone down. And, in my case, promise not to vote for whichever candidate utilizes this form of technological harassment the most. In the primary election, I actually was favoring one mayoral candidate until I got one too many taped phone calls urging me to vote for the guy.
              If both Bainum and Hanneman are using phone spam, though, who are we supposed to vote for?

Comment

There's one canidate who runs in every race in every election....

"Blank vote."
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

BTW, I hate it when the national GOP party phone calls me at the wee hours in the morning. They did the last election and I told them off. They acted as if they were the local GOP, but at that time, I knew several people in the local office and those people were not local. I hate phone marketers of all types.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Once this lady from NYC called my home phone at 3am HST thinking my number was the Kahala Manderin Hotel. After three times calling back, the third time she blurted out, "can't you just connect me to the front desk?" I told her to hold...I paused...then in a cheerful voice at 3:30am I took her reservation for an ocean view at our special first time visitor rate of $100 per night. I even gave her a confirmation number. Boy was she happy and I managed to squeak in another three hours of sleep before the alarm clock woke me up for work.

Yeah she probably got stung when she arrived but dammit, she deserved it! No regrets and I'm probably going to hell for that but what the heck as a republican I'm voting for Kerry just to see him follow thru on his rhetoric so I'll be going to hell anyway may as well go in style.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've had a couple more of these. Yesterday I had one from Cavasso; it asked if I supported him, and when I said "no" it switched to a recording of his voice telling me I would by Tuesday, because he was the pro-family, pro-this, pro-that candidate. Cam should work on his tone; he sounded almost threatening.

Then just now I got one for President. It was the push-button variety: "press one for support Kerry; press two for leaning Kerry" etc.

Comment

This week from Monday it's been really busy with the phone calls...even if I pick up the phone after the recorder goes on...there's no one to take my answer to the poll in question!
                        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          BTW, I hate it when the national GOP party phone calls me at the wee hours in the morning. They did the last election and I told them off. They acted as if they were the local GOP, but at that time, I knew several people in the local office and those people were not local. I hate phone marketers of all types.

Caller: "Hi. Would you be interested in switching over to TMI Long Distance service?"
                          Seinfeld: "Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later."
                          Caller: "Uh, sorry, we're not allowed to do that."
                          Seinfeld: "Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you at home."
                          Caller: "No."
                          Seinfeld: "Well, now you know how I feel." (*click*)

Comment

I've really hit the big time now. I just got one from the Gov inviting me to the party Sunday night to see Cheney, and then...Rudy Giulani called me! He wants me to vote for Bush! Oh dear, oh dear, what shall I do?

Comment

My wife's home all day, so she gets more than her fair share. I'm actually curious to know who's behind the various robodials, but she usually hangs up before the message gets that far. She did get the mysterious Lingle-Bainum message... and agrees, whoever it is does sound a lot like Lingle.

I got one today by a former chief justice or something that vehementy decried the Mrs. Bainum smear campaign. It was done so badly, I half suspect it was actually a Hanneman call intended to spur interest in said smear.

The ones coming from the Mainland are the most annoying... but so far, we've been lucky that they at least adjust their calling schedule for our time zone. If my phone rings with a robodial at 3 a.m., heads are gonna roll!

Comment

Working...
                              X